PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Redskins Defense vs. Pats Offense (against sub-par defenses)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...... for the Redskins fans, let's play "what if?":

What if the Patriots line up in a 4wr set with Moss and Stallworth on the outside and Welker and Gaffney as the inside receivers, or 3 wides and Watson, should he play. How do you propose Washington stop the receivers in that case?

Yep, but Dallas doesnt have the Secondary we do. They are fast, but we have the fastest and top ranked defense in the NFC. I realize that is saying like we won the special olympics, but still, we can make this into a game. And Cinci and Cleveland are just dreadful.

Betcha Cleveland would give Washington a pretty good game. Maybe even beat you.

You'll have to forgive us. We have opposing fans come in here literally EVERY WEEK, telling us how "THIS TIME it's going to be different!" Then we win, and never hear from them again. People continue to underrate the Patriots DESPITE all evidence that they are dominant.

You'll see. We will crush you. And you won't come back. Book it.

Um... well.... our DB's are better... our LB's are better... the only defensive area they have us is on the line... Even if you take out the Pats game they are still giving up more points than we are. 18.3... as opposed to 14.7. Sorry?

Want to know where the difference is likely to be?

Defense 3rd Down Percentage
#1 NE 31%
#2 WAS 32%

Offense 3rd Down Percentage
#4 NE 48%
#22 WAS 39% (tied with Miami)

Gotta turn those stats on offense around if you want to win.

Of everything being thrown around, let's all throw out the "Patriots haven't played anybody good so the Pats aren't that good" argument. It's the same logic Patriot's fans used to use against the Colts..but guess what...the Colts were a good team then and the Pats are a good team now.

With that said, we've seen stacks against the run, Moss taken out of a game, and numerous nickel packages...but the Pats put up the points because they have the talent to diversify their attack based on the defense. They are very balanced and Washington cannot take away every option this team possesses....much in the same way the Patriots except for one year could take away all of Indy's options. It's up to Washington's offense to win this game for them.

The reason it won't be a high score is because of this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0rEv6Gfk8

Fast forward to 1:55minutes and watch your boy try to outjump TAYLOR. He routinely shuts down star offensive weapons: Owens, Moss, Gates, Shockey.
Of course, that's just one person. You'll have to look elsewhere then Moss. Stallworth and Welker will have to earn their paycheck

Last edited:
Statistically to this point in the season Washington will be the best defense we have played. I'll be very interested to see how they play our offense.

Dallas and San Diego who are the best two defenses we have seen tried to use pressure with mixed results. Those are the only multiple sack games against the offense this year however we scored 31 (AD scored 7) on San Diego and 48 against Dallas. Brady also had one of his two picks in the San Diego game however it was just a bad throw\decision and had little to do with the pressure.

Washington's DBs as a unit are better than either of these teams, although Newman is the best player, but their front seven may be slightly weaker.

In the end however the Washington offense won't be able to match our offense and once Campbell has to start throwing every down it's over.

I expect a reasonably close game at the half but the Pats should dominate time of possession and pull ahead in the second half.

My prediction is 31-10.

The reason it won't be a high score is because of this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0rEv6Gfk8

Fast forward to 1:55minutes and watch your boy try to outjump TAYLOR.
Wow...amazing...and here I was thinking the Patriots had more the ONE option on offense....silly me :rolleyes:. Stop the stupidity, this offense is way more then just Randy Moss and it will take more then just stopping Moss.

Oh, and my "boy" Brady aint too shabby either.

Betcha Cleveland would give Washington a pretty good game. Maybe even beat you.

Miami........yes, Miami!!!! Gave 'em a "pretty good game" and lost by a FG at FedEx. And they wonder why none of us are taking them seriously.

Ok...... for the Redskins fans, let's play "what if?":

What if the Patriots line up in a 4wr set with Moss and Stallworth on the outside and Welker and Gaffney as the inside receivers, or 3 wides and Watson, should he play. How do you propose Washington stop the receivers in that case?
Eh, I can talk about schemes and what we're doing with our coverages all day, but no we can't stop that, there's no answer for your offense right now.

Mainly we have a good defense this season because we're a good tackling team. You can talk about Gregg Williams or Sean Taylor all day, but nothing will work of you can't tackle. We probably can't confuse Tom Brady by mixing up coverages like Jon Kitna, and we probably can't cover your WR's and TE with single man coverages like against GB, but we play physical and will make your players earn those yards.

patsox23 said:
You'll have to forgive us. We have opposing fans come in here literally EVERY WEEK, telling us how "THIS TIME it's going to be different!" Then we win, and never hear from them again. People continue to underrate the Patriots DESPITE all evidence that they are dominant.

You'll see. We will crush you. And you won't come back. Book it.
Well forgive me, but I seriously doubt people are underrating the Patriots. We're only saying this time it's going to be different, because that's all anyone's got at this point. We're talking about college size spreads that your Patriots are covering.

But someone's bound to be right at some point. :D

Statistically to this point in the season Washington will be the best defense we have played. I'll be very interested to see how they play our offense.

Dallas and San Diego who are the best two defenses we have seen tried to use pressure with mixed results. Those are the only multiple sack games against the offense this year however we scored 31 (AD scored 7) on San Diego and 48 against Dallas. Brady also had one of his two picks in the San Diego game however it was just a bad throw\decision and had little to do with the pressure.

Washington's DBs as a unit are better than either of these teams, although Newman is the best player, but their front seven may be slightly weaker.

In the end however the Washington offense won't be able to match our offense and once Campbell has to start throwing every down it's over.

I expect a reasonably close game at the half but the Pats should dominate time of possession and pull ahead in the second half.

My prediction is 31-10.

You know what, i would probably be happy if we kept it close for a half...maybe 3 quarters.

Of course, that's just one person. You'll have to look elsewhere then Moss. Stallworth and Welker will have to earn their paycheck

The true humor of that is the fact that Welker would be leading YOUR team in receptions and yards and Stallworth would be almost tied for the lead on your team.

......so I guess THEY'VE been "earning their paychecks". How's Brandon Lloyd earning his?

The true humor of that is the fact that both Stallworth and Welker would be leading YOUR team in receptions and yards if you weren't giving All-Pro money to Brandon Lloyd.

Geez.... the humor in this is that Pats fans are being very nasty and mean when we are giving nothing but compliments. Its called humility. We get it man you are good..... BRB while i go fetch you guys a nice batch of cookies.

Last edited:
Miami........yes, Miami!!!! Gave 'em a "pretty good game" and lost by a FG at FedEx. And they wonder why none of us are taking them seriously.
Oh please.

I seem to remember the 6-10 Joey Harrington lead Dolphins, shutting out your Patriots last season.

Eh, I can talk about schemes and what we're doing with our coverages all day, but no we can't stop that, there's no answer for your offense right now.

Mainly we have a good defense this season because we're a good tackling team. You can talk about Gregg Williams or Sean Taylor all day, but nothing will work of you can't tackle. We probably can't confuse Tom Brady by mixing up coverages like Jon Kitna, and we probably can't cover your WR's and TE with single man coverages like against GB, but we play physical and will make your players earn those yards.

That's a good answer, and hard hitting can sometimes have a tremendous impact on a game. My question was really aimed at posters like BeLogical, who seemed to be missing the sheer numbers of talented receivers as he was raving about the Washington secondary.

I'm not one who will claim that Washington has no chance, although I think the 'skins would need to bring their "A" game against a Patriots "C" or "D" game in order for that to happen.

That's a good answer, and hard hitting can sometimes have a tremendous impact on a game. My question was really aimed at posters like BeLogical, who seemed to be missing the sheer numbers of talented receivers as he was raving about the Washington secondary.

I'm not one who will claim that Washington has no chance, although I think the 'skins would need to bring their "A" game against a Patriots "C" or "D" game in order for that to happen.

A+ Vs. C- would possibly do it. We do have very talented DB's who hit very very hard. Taylor has shaken up Moss before. But as Gibbs said, "If anybody has a gameplan that will work against them , please leave it at the door" -Press Conference 10/22/07

Well those guys can be just as correct as good football analysis. We can play tough and tackle all day while your Patriots slowly drive the field against us. But if Brady gets too comfortable and throws a deep pass into double coverage to Moss like against Miami, there's no reason why Sean Taylor can't intercept and take it for 6.

Do you guys have a C or D game at home? I'm not sure if we have an A game on the road... ;)

I see a tough game, but a lopsided score in the end. Any given sunday though, and so on.

Geez.... the humor in this is that Pats fans are being very nasty and mean when we are giving nothing but compliments. Its called humility. We get it man you are good..... BRB while i go fetch you guys a nice batch of cookies.

yea shmessy wtf?

why are you so pissed off when all we're trying to do is have a logical discussion. Get your head out of your ass.

Oh please.

I seem to remember the 6-10 Joey Harrington lead Dolphins, shutting out your Patriots last season.

Uh huh. How did Adalius Thomas, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donta Stallworth, Kelly Washington, Kyle Eckel, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, Randall Gay, Junior Seau, Kyle Brady and many others do for the Patriots that day?

yea shmessy wtf?

why are you so pissed off when all we're trying to do is have a logical discussion. Get your head out of your ass.

Oh, I'm sorry. I made a comment about how Brandon Lloyd is the most overpaid 1 reception for 9 yards WR in the NFL and THAT was mean.

Of course, you were so polite to tell me to take my head out of my ass.

Delusional.

(BTW,you guys are too much fun and are so entertaining that we enjoy having you post this stuff to make a rather bland game somewhat more interesting instead of just biding our time til the Indy showdown. So, in fact, we VALUE you guys here - - please keep posting).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back