PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Redskins are the favorites to land Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have heard is the Jets are over the cap, yet it should be easy to get back under by doing some cuts and restructures. It's unlikely they can sign most of there FAs.

teams with the most work to do? raiders 14.9 million over cap, cowboys 13.9 million, steelers 10.3 million

Twitter

Ok Here's where I read it guys:

NFL Forum :: - The Irrelevant, Random Thread of Anything 16

mcmurtry86 said:
Looks like dead money isn't going to count against the 2011 cap. So the Jets actually have about $20M to spend (and can get down below that with re-signing Harris and re-structuring Sanchez).

Yes, they have a lot of holes to fill. But the talk of them not being able to afford 3 quality players (Cromartie/Edwards/Holmes or similar players) is probably inaccurate now.

Like I said I've been reading his posts and he's a good poster IMO who's been on top of this stuff.

I'm not doubting his football knowledge at all; it's just hard to assess that statement of his when there's no source listed.

On a side note, not surprisingly there are plenty of familiar names in that thread ...

Ok Here's where I read it guys:

Like I said I've been reading his posts and he's a good poster IMO who's been on top of this stuff.

I need a more credible source. Wash is 28 mill over cap. In a brawl over 1 player WASH wins.:)

I need to here this from a LEGIT source and not Johnny 6 pack:bricks:

I'm not doubting his football knowledge at all; it's just hard to assess that statement of his when there's no source listed.

On a side note, not surprisingly there are plenty of familiar names in that thread ...

I hear you man I will continue to look for a confirmation from a better source for post it here.

D.Revis24 wrote:
Quote:
I’ve learned from people close to the negotiations that we may not see the massive cap casualties that we’ve expected. In fact, there may not be any penalties for teams who are over the $120 million dollar threshold. What that would allow teams to do is hang onto veterans, if they so choose, without penalty. What was less clear to me was whether or not we’ll actually even see a salary cap. It is my understanding that for the first few years of this deal, the “cap” on spending could be soft or even non-existent.

Now why would the owners agree to that? Isn’t that the baseball model that has created such a disparity between the haves and the have nots? Yes and no.

Many on the players side believe that this CBA has as much to do with the big market owners trying to find a way to force out the owners of small market teams as it does with finding a way to split up money between players and owners. There is big TV money on the way and both the players and owners know this. I promise you that if Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones were in charge of getting a deal done, they would have made the minimum spending $140 million or more and they would have agreed to a CBA a LONG TIME AGO. According to my sources, many owners view this CBA as their big opportunity to get rid of owners they don’t like.

Source: Lance Zierlein

Quote:
"What if the $120 million proposed salary cap for a new collective bargaining agreement actually winds up operating as the salary cap floor?

And the source says don’t be shocked if the anticipated cap casualties doesn’t unfold and major spending spres take place.

Per the source, there wouldn’t necessarily be a hard cap for the first few years of the proposed new labor deal.

If that’s the case, NFL teams would be able to spend as they wish during the early portion of the agreement.”

Twitter

All the agreement is saying is that teams can borrow 3 mill from next years cap and another 3 mill to keep a vet player. inorderto get under the cap.

just copied from the NFL forum

I'd love for the Pats to get Holmes. Character issues aside, all he does is make big catches. He'd be a huge asset late in the season and in the playoffs (where the Pats have not fared well of late).

That said, he will probably cost way too much money. If the Pats can't get him, I sure do hope the Jets lose him. It would be a huge blow to their already subpar passing game.

If that's true about dead cap space then I am going to be really pissed. The Jets should not be rewarded for their irresponsible spending these past few seasons. :mad:

If that's true about dead cap space then I am going to be really pissed. The Jets should not be rewarded for their irresponsible spending these past few seasons. :mad:

==================================

Whaca mean? The Jets have played by the rules and kept within the salary cap.

still far too early. All we get is speculation from every poster in all forums

==================================

Whaca mean? The Jets have played by the rules and kept within the salary cap.

they have but spent $$$ foolishly and perhaps might be getting a goorway out of capspace b/c of what might have happened. The Jets FO is HORRIBLE and the $$$ ya'll spent is laughable. I hope this CBA dead money thing does not benefit the Jets wreck less spending.

2 AFCCG's and FAIL :)

Last edited:
I just read on another site that dead money won't count against the cap and so the Jets will be about 20 million under.

Im upset on a day when I shouldn't be :(

What's the source? I wouldn't believe it unless a reliable source backed that speculation. I think Holmes to the Redksins is great news. He won't be tormenting us in the playoffs anytime soon and Snyder STILL loves to make the big splash in free agency. Well let him! :)

Can anyone tell me what this means?

id love to be able to access that link obviously, to see just what the hell this goofiness is about. Id say with all certainty, there's literally no way in hell a team forecasted to be over the salary cap is somehow magically $20mil under it. Never a better example of fans' wishful thinking.

they have but spent $$$ foolishly and perhaps might be getting a goorway out of capspace b/c of what might have happened. The Jets FO is HORRIBLE and the $$$ ya'll spent is laughable. I hope this CBA dead money thing does not benefit the Jets wreck less spending.

2 AFCCG's and FAIL :)

=======================================

Disagree. They have operated under league rules and stayed within the cap.

I can understand why some would think they have overpaid for guys like Scott, Pace, Faneca, but a lot of how they built there team is by trading draft picks to pick up guys on the tail end of affordable contracts.

It's a credit to the Jets FO that they have managed there cap so well.

This is not great news. I hear asomugha wants to sign with the jets. Dumping Holmes will only Increase their cap space.

Last edited:
id love to be able to access that link obviously, to see just what the hell this goofiness is about. Id say with all certainty, there's literally no way in hell a team forecasted to be over the salary cap is somehow magically $20mil under it. Never a better example of fans' wishful thinking.

=========================================

Sorry about the link, I just copied it from a post at JI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back