PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Redemption vs revenge, a Nuts' point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
You hear the mediots keep talking about how the Patriots are seeking revenge for the last SB. That is a lot of crap, there is no revenge, it's been so over for 4 years.
However I think there are 3 players and 2 coaches that are looking at this game as a way of redeeming themselves, for various reasons.

First there is TFB who was not happy with himself for the last Giants regular season game and the Ravens game.

Then there are Mankins and Light who have heard over and over how the Giants DL out played the Patriots OL. Then there is Dante who coaches the OL and you know that SB game has to bother him.

Finally there is BB who certainly must have felt he could have done a better coaching job during the last SB. He was tight and the team was tight going into that game but who can blame them with everything going on. He seems a lot looser this time perhaps because of the way he was in the last SB.

So, I think those people have redemption in mind this week and not revenge. And I think that is a good thing and makes me feel better about the Patriots chances going into this game.

Agree? Or am I looking too much into this?

Brady said (2 weeks ago?) he still cannot watch game clips.
Media keeps bringing it up. Reminded, every day.
Every memory of that loss is associated with the Giants,
talking to the press, answering questions.
first thought in the morning, last thought at night for a long time
when the loss was fresh, until today.

That it is the same team has to be an effect.

Not the only thing, not the main thing, but yeah,
it is definitely in there.
An extra determination to say, not again.
An element that would not be there
with any of the other 15.

With some good luck and a win, they may reveal that yeah,
there was an extra incentive,
buttressed by the crap talking
they were asked about all week.

Revenge takes up to much energy and is a half full kind of thing, while redemption is not.

I think you can add McDaniels to that list. He didn't adjust in SB42 very well and is looking for career redemption after Denver and STL.

In fairness to Dante and the OL, the Patriots were using more of a 7 step drop and looking for more down field plays with Moss and Stallworth. so the OL had to hold their blocks longer.

This years offense is different, so the OL should do better.

In fairness to Dante and the OL, the Patriots were using more of a 7 step drop and looking for more down field plays with Moss and Stallworth. so the OL had to hold their blocks longer.

This years offense is different, so the OL should do better.

In fairness to fairness, that OL got manhandled and bull rushed and beaten like a rented mule. I believe that's why it's beefier these days. Teams have more success of late with coverage sacks, but you have to have the sack or a plan for that. These Giants are mostly a front 4 defense. This OL and these TE's should be better able to hold the fort. Then it becomes a matter of beating coverage. If we can run the ball, and we have more weapons than we did in 2008 including as blockers, that should also help.

I've linked this video in a couple of threads over the last few days. It's the best theme I've seen for this team and this game. Can't get it out of my head now. It's not about revenge. It's about redemption.

The Lombardi Trophy Coming Home on Vimeo

It's disgusting honestly. I'm watching ESPN2 and Teddy Bruschi's saying the same thing.

There is NO way in hell, win or lose, that this Super Bowl will ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make up for that Super Bowl loss.

It's so disrespectful to a team that accomplished the one thing no other team has done in history and that's go 18-0. Nobody has done it, not even the 1972 Miami Dolphins. Teams win Super Bowls every single year. That kind of a season and that kind of a team just never happens.

And if you wanted to call it revenge, then the only way you will get remotely close to making up for that is if next year or at some point in the future, the Patriots go 8-8, or even worse, make the playoffs with a 7-9 record, while the Giants blister the charts, go 18-0 in an even more decisive way than the Patriots and the Patriots blow them out.

That's it. That would come close to making up for it. Maybe.

Other than that, the only thing that would make me feel better about that loss, is to do it all over again and finish 19-0. The media and I guess some fans like this story, but to me, I can't swallow it. It feels nothing like it. This year and this Super Bowl is hardly the end of the greatness of the Patriots and Tom Brady. This is not the exclamation point.

Last edited:
It's disgusting honestly. I'm watching ESPN2 and Teddy Bruschi's saying the same thing.

There is NO way in hell, win or lose, that this Super Bowl will ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make up for that Super Bowl loss.

It's so disrespectful to a team that accomplished the one thing no other team has done in history and that's go 18-0. Nobody has done it, not even the 1972 Miami Dolphins. Teams win Super Bowls every single year. That kind of a season and that kind of a team just never happens.

Put me diametrically opposed.

Win this one game and I could not care less about the 2007 fiasco that I saw coming a mile away..

Never got into the 19-0 Colts like mantra. What made this franchise great was racking up Super Bowl wins, not gaudy in season records and wilting post season.

Mr Kraft tear down that 16-0 banner. Piss on it and burn it. Put up a 2011 SB Champions banner in its place.

Last edited:
Put me diametrically opposed.

Win this one game and I could not care less about the 2007 fiasco that I saw coming a mile away..

Never got into the 19-0 Colts like mantra. What made this franchise great was racking up Super Bowl wins, not gaudy in season records and wilting post season.

Mr Kraft tear down that 16-0 banner. Piss on it and burn it. Put up a 2011 SB Champions banner in its place.

I see them as two distinct different things.

One thing that made the Patriots great was racking up Super Bowl wins.
The other one thing that made the Patriots great is the only team to do something like that, which they never finished.

Two complete different things.

But that 2007 team almost erased a very negative stain and black mark on Patriots history and despite their loss, because of that 18-0 season, they also redeemed the 3 Super Bowl teams that came before them. Let's not forget, it was thanks to the 2007 team going 18-0, that silenced a lot of the Spygate scandal. The question was could the Patriots have done it without Spygate? Well that team answered that question loud and clear even though they lost the Super Bowl by 3 points.

This, when it's all said and done, is just another opportunity to "rack-up" another Super Bowl win. It's just pure coincidence that it happens to be against the same team. It's the least interesting match-up out of all possible match-ups this year, from a football stand-point. Take away their name, Giants, and look at it on pure accomplishments and there are at least 3 other teams that would make this match-up a lot more interesting and competitive.

If this Giants team was named Seahawks, nobody would care about this Super Bowl. And the media is using the 2007 Super Bowl to turn it into something more interesting than it really is. It's artificial and you can taste it from the tip of your tongue to the bottom of your stomach.

Last edited:
To me it's not about revenge against the Giants, it's about revenge against the media and fans that crapped on BB/Brady post-spygate and saying they can't do it anymore after recent playoff failures. This is their chance to stick it to everyone and cement their spot as the best.

As far as getting revenge on the Giants, I can't imagine a scenario where that is going to happen, maybe if they were 18-0 and playing us in the SB but that is not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes