Status
Not open for further replies.

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Really simple for Sunday night. If the Pats can score TD's in the RZ they will win the game. The defense will play well enough to win but is not the dominating D of years past that could hold Peyton & Company to 3-6 points. It will come down to the offense like so many other games this year. Hopefully the Pats have been saving all their Red Zone plays for this game. If they can't get it done Manning will win the game at the end like he usually does.

Other key is pass protection. I really think we will see many, many screens as the Colts DE's come charging up the field. That will help protect Brady and the rookie LT. I can't see Volmer handling Freeney 1 on 1. TE help and a large dose of screens to Faulk and Maroney.

Really simple for Sunday night. If the Pats can score TD's in the RZ they will win the game. The defense will play well enough to win but is not the dominating D of years past that could hold Peyton & Company to 3-6 points. It will come down to the offense like so many other games this year. Hopefully the Pats have been saving all their Red Zone plays for this game. If they can't get it done Manning will win the game at the end like he usually does.

Other key is pass protection. I really think we will see many, many screens as the Colts DE's come charging up the field. That will help protect Brady and the rookie LT. I can't see Volmer handling Freeney 1 on 1. TE help and a large dose of screens to Faulk and Maroney.

I think you're spot on. Score 7 in the red zone and we win. Score 3 or less and I doubt we'll win.

If Watson and Maroney's have gone from question marks to Mr. reliables that goes a long way on the red zone factor.

Please no hating here. If you think Watson and Maroney have always been money in the bank near the goal line, you're entitled to that opinion.

I think they're both currently playing great and with confidence, so if they are money now and in the future, that's all that counts.

I'd like to see Chris Baker used more in the red zone. Watching a lot of Jets games, I remember he had a knack for getting open in the end zone for them. He's a big target that just finds a way to get open and has pretty good hands. I think he could be a big help for us inside the 20.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Chris Baker used more in the red zone. Watching a lot of Jets games, I remember he had a knack for getting open in the red and end zone for them. He's a big target that just finds a way to get open and has pretty good hands. I think he could be a big help for us inside the 20.

Good tight ends make their bread in the red zone, no doubt. If that's true and Watson's play continues, maybe we can turn a former minus into a plus.

Anyone have some historical red zone success data on the team?

Earlier this season I thought the Patriots' red zone problems were due to Brady's timing. It's improved, and yet the red zone is still not one of our strengths. Not having a good third option at wide receiver may be hurting us here. You don't have to worry about Welker running the underneath route so much when ultimately you will stop him short of the goal line. I wish a guy like Aiken or Watson would really emerge here. Also, why can't Maroney ever catch balls out of the backfield? The Colts use Addai all the time in the red zone with little dump offs.

I think balance is one of the big keys in RZ play.

Sure, our strength is in the passing game - but thats aided by the threat that Moss can go deep at any given time - opens up the underneath stuff for Welker/Edelman/Faulk.

In the RZ there is naturally alot less room to play with - thats why we need to employ a little more disguise - commit to the running game - to the point teams actually try to stop it - and open up the PA pass.

We all remember how beautiful a Tom Brady PA pass is right?

Last edited:
It's wierd. At first, our Red Zone issues seemed to be caused by timing. Now, with Brady starting to get back to his old form, play calling seems to be the real problem. The players seem to be executing properly. With very little space to defend, the routes that fooled defenders on the 30 yard line no longer work on the 5. In the red zone, corners and line backers can be very aggressive because they are not worried about getting beat deep.

Since we've become more pass oriented, we've become a bit predictable. You can usually tell from your own home when we are going to pass and when we aren't. It appears that defenders have figures that out too.

I would like to see us move it closer to the end zone in the red zone. Seems we go for the TD too much when we hit the 20. Let's show some confidence in our O-Line and use 6 downs if needed to score the 6.

I think you're right and I think both go hand in hand. Pass protection will win the RZ battle for the Patriots. The Colts secondary is depleted. They are one of the worst RZ defense's (in terms of % of TD's allowed in the RZ). If we can't score TD's in the RZ with good pass protection facing that secondary? The offense's troubles are worse than I thought.
While I agree if we score TD's, instead of FG's, our chances of winning are significantly better, I like the chances of whatever team has the ball with a couple of minutes to go. The only way the Patriots win otherwise, imho, is if they get a good solid pass rush on Manning. That is the key to winning convincingly.

I would think pass protection would be relatively less important in the RZ. Run three yards and turn around doesn't take much time.

Obviously it's important, but a good downhill running game and ability to get open quick seem more important IMO. That's why tight ends that can use their body are important. A fade to randy doesn't take much time either.

I would think pass protection would be relatively less important in the RZ. Run three yards and turn around doesn't take much time.

Obviously it's important, but a good downhill running game and ability to get open quick seem more important IMO. That's why tight ends that can use their body are important. A fade to randy doesn't take much time either.

As a general rule I would agree. However, a good downhill running game has not been the case for the Patriots (i'd say it has been serviceable). And based on the Patriots RZ troubles, getting open for quick passes hasn't happened (or the connection from TB hasn't happened). I based my assumption of pass protection equaling RZ TD's on the Patriots being a passing team, the Patriots having general trouble scoring in the RZ, and good pass protection causing extra time for receivers to find gaps/breakdowns in the coverage (with the Colts having a depleted secondary). I'd love to see the Patriots score rushing TDs in the RZ. I'd love to see the Patriots score 3 step quick pass TD's. I, unfortunately, am skeptical of that happening against Indy based on this year's lack of RZ success against decent opponents (thank you Tenn and TB for padding the stats!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots