PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red uniforms in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original Patriots fought and beat the British running them out of NE.

Wearing those would be in poor taste.

BTW, NE Pats fans lead the NFL in throwback merchandise sales. Heard it on the radio.

Didn't the British wear red?

And pardon me for saying this, but I'm not real excited about the prospect of reliving the whole "red jersey" era.

Technically, yes. However, there were some American units in red coats and some British units in blue. It's all very much a place/time/unit thing as to who wore what and when. :)

Seriously.

The Bills game will be the last game in our retro's.

You sure it won't be against the Dolphins? I thought I read they were one of the "legacy" games. (Which doesn't make much sense since they weren't one of the original 8.)

You sure it won't be against the Dolphins? I thought I read they were one of the "legacy" games. (Which doesn't make much sense since they weren't one of the original 8.)

I agree with you.

The Pats and Bills already played a game against each other wearing their throwbacks.

I believe the Pats throwback games are only once against a particular original AFC team during the schedule.

The original Patriots fought and beat the British running them out of NE.

Wearing those would be in poor taste.

Give me a break. Treaty of Paris was signed in 1783. I think we can safely say folks won't be offended if the Pats were to wear their throwbacks that were first worn in 1960.

Most of the stadium are going to be Pats fans. Including me.

Why would you want to mock your supporters? The Revolutionary War was a long, long time ago, man. :)

Yes, but the oppressive nature of the British Empire still existed well into the 20th Century.
Let the Bucs wear the Red Coats...we won't fire until "we see the whites of their eyes."

Yes, but the oppressive nature of the British Empire still existed well into the 20th Century.
Let the Bucs wear the Red Coats...we won't fire until "we see the whites of their eyes."

Pirates like Billy The Kid and Blackbeard were very disruptive to the British Empire's trade activities with the southen colonies and the carribean islands as well.

With that said, is the old Bucs helmet with the pirate w/ he knife in his mouth more or less offensive then the skull on the flag?

This disussion is silly and fun at the same time!

Last edited:
With that said, is the old Bucs helmet with the pirate w/ he knife in his mouth more or less offensive then the skull on the flag?

Neither offended me as much as the play of either of those teams on the field.

Give me a break. Treaty of Paris was signed in 1783. I think we can safely say folks won't be offended if the Pats were to wear their throwbacks that were first worn in 1960.

Agree. I think the problem is that too many of you are looking at this from an American perspective. Most people in the UK will not understand the significance of New England Patriots. Very few will know anything about the War of Independence and no one will care. They could turn up as the "Boston Tea Party Rebels" and the point would be completely lost on most of us.

Agree. I think the problem is that too many of you are looking at this from an American perspective. Most people in the UK will not understand the significance of New England Patriots. Very few will know anything about the War of Independence and no one will care. They could turn up as the "Boston Tea Party Rebels" and the point would be completely lost on most of us.

Really? They don't include this in history classes at school? Granted, not England's finest hour, but still an important event in shaping the modern world.

Really? They don't include this in history classes at school? Granted, not England's finest hour, but still an important event in shaping the modern world.

Importance to political history- No question.

Relevence to Sundays game- None.

I'm no historian, but I bet if you walked into that Pats locker room and asked every player what the Jay Treaty was, they'd think it was when McDaniels agreed to trade Jay Cutler to CHI.

Last edited:

History education is only compulsory until 14, up to then all you learn about is English history, usually starting at 1066 with the Battle of Hastings and William the Conquerer. The rest of it is things like the War of Roses, The Tudors, the Black Death, The peasants revolt etc.

After 14 when history education is by choice you begin to learn about things that happened outside of UK but its modern history. IE Both world wars, the great depression, the Vietnam war, the Cold war etc.

If they don't teach you about Nelson, other aspects of the Empire, barely touch British naval domination then i hardly think the American revolution is going to be high on the list.

If they don't teach you about Nelson, other aspects of the Empire, barely touch British naval domination then i hardly think the American revolution is going to be high on the list.

If you check the syllabus it comes somewhere between the history of cheese rolling (which, interestingly enough, predates Washington et al.) and the history of motorway service stations

No

Enough with the damn throwbacks already

You know it's funny. I'm in my early 30's. So yes, I caught a good portion of pats games in their old Pat Patriot uniforms during the 80's - and I HATE THEM!

And everytime I say that to a pats fan older than me, i get ridiculed/lectured 90 percent of the time. Mostly in good fun. But my rational as to why i hate the throwback uni's is simple:

Pat Patriot = Losing

Flying Elvis = Winning.

To all of those who endured (and I mean that in the very literal sense from back in the day) I'm sorry...but those red shirts/white pants...all whites with pat patriot make me think of a sad/losing franchise with only a few seasons of great memories.

I understand COMPLETELY those who were there at the beginning and sat with 10-thousand friends at Sullivan Stadium in the 80's. I get it and thankfully, right now, it's over. Elvis lives baby and elvis has put the patriots in 5 super bowls since he arrived with the Tuna.

Also, this is not a rant against the 50th celebration of the AFL either. That HAS to be done. BUT, 6 games? That's a little over the top. I just can't wait til it's all over and the Blue and Silver can come back to life!

The Bucs wear red for home. The Bucs are the designated "home" team. 'Nuff Sed.

Highly doubt they will wear white for "home"...if anything, the Patritos will be wearing their BLUE jerseys instead if the Bucs do go with white.

Bucs weren't part of the original AFL teams.

Yeah, but they could wear their old orange creamsicle uniforms with the winking pirate on the helmet, they made the 80s Patriots look like the Lombardi Packers when they wore those things

The whole point of the game in London is to broaden the NFL brand. It makes no sense to confuse the Euro's with a Logo that isn't current.

Absolutely love the old uniforms...every time I see them, I get extra pumped for the game. Red jerseys are great...don't see why anyone would not like them.

From an American perspective. We've only been around a couple hundred years... when you have over a thousand years of history to go over, it does kinda lose its significance.

Absolutely love the old uniforms...every time I see them, I get extra pumped for the game. Red jerseys are great...don't see why anyone would not like them.
Same here, I've been unable to buy one due to the extortionate shipping and import taxes but I've heard they are available for sale at Wembley so one will certainly be coming home with me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye