PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox Vs Rays:

"You sound like a real jackass by calling him "Francoma"."

Just because I don't agree with your theory as to why we still have a shot at winning the division after Tampa has clearly proven they are the better team, don't get your panties all in a twist.

The Red Sox should have swept them at home last week, that would have sent them into a tailspin, but instead they stole one game and won the other in extra innings and got a much needed shot in the arm.

If you can't beat a team head to head, you don't deserve to win the division and Tampa has won 4 out of 6. Backing in the last week of the season because you have all of the remaining games on your schedule at home and the other team has all of theirs on the road is lame.

Tampa has taken the season series and we will have to go through them should we beat the Angels, no small task by the way. The White Sox have no shot vs the Rays.

AND, if Wakefield is in the rotation over Byrd, then yes, he is Francoma despite what you think about the name.

Last edited:

Just because I don't agree with your theory as to why we still have a shot at winning the division after Tampa has clearly proven they are the better team, don't get your panties all in a twist.

The Red Sox should have swept them at home last week, that would have sent them into a tailspin, but instead they stole one game and won the other in extra innings and got a much needed shot in the arm.

If you can't beat a team head to head, you don't deserve to win the division and Tampa has won 4 out of 6. Backing in the last week of the season because you have all of the remaining games on your schedule at home and the other team has all of theirs on the road is lame.

Tampa has taken the season series and we will have to go through them should we beat the Angels, no small task by the way. The White Sox have no shot vs the Rays.

AND, if Wakefield is in the rotation over Byrd, then yes, he is Francoma despite what you think about the name.

FrancoNa will put who he thinks gives us the best chance at winning in the rotation, I think it's a tad bit crazy to say that we should fire a manager that has won us 2 world championships over the fact that he might put in Wakefield. He will do what's best for the team, and if you feel that he should be fired for possibly doing something to do that then why do you call yourself a fan.

I don't care if you agree with me or not. You are just showing your intelligence by calling the best manager of the Sox in our life time "Francoma". That's all.

"FrancoNa will put who he thinks gives us the best chance at winning in the rotation, I think it's a tad bit crazy to say that we should fire a manager that has won us 2 world championships over the fact that he might put in Wakefield. He will do what's best for the team, and if you feel that he should be fired for possibly doing something to do that then why do you call yourself a fan."

And that would be Byrd.

Don't take me saying he should be fired literally; lighten up Francis.

And don't question my loyalty to the Red Sox either, I've been a fan since the 70'
s, been to over 200 games, many playoff games, several world series games and was in St Louis for game four in 2004 ok sport?

"I don't care if you agree with me or not." Good, because I don't.

"You are just showing your intelligence by calling the best manager of the Sox in our life time "Francoma"." That is your opinion, which are like azzholes, they both stink.

"That's all." Yes, that is all, you made your point already, so drop it.

Double G;1044218 was in St Louis for game four in 2004 ok sport?[/QUOTE said:
Enough said.

One of my best friends is a Cardinals fan, he's got season tickets along with three other guys.

After the Sox went up 3-0, one of them couldn't stand the thought of the Red Sox celebrating in front of his eyes, so he gave up his game 4 and 5 tickets on the condition that I buy them both, which I did.

I flew out and got there in time for game 4, the rest is history. My friend is a St Louis police officer who used to do stadium details and he got me onto the field with the players as they celebrated.

It was the happiest day of my life as a Boston sports fan, along with the 2002 Super Bowl, we'll call them 1 and 1A.......

"You are just showing your intelligence by calling the best manager of the Sox in our life time".......................

You must be 12 years old then because the best manager the Red Sox have ever had was **** Williams. He took a pile of chicken sh!t and turned it into chicken salad in 1967, taking the Cardinals to seven games. He then managed that insane group of A's to back to back World Series titles, then took a rinky dink Padres team to the World Series in 1984, losing to the powerhouse Tigers. Had Yawkey not fired the guy, the Red Sox would have won the world series in 1972 and 1975.

FrancoNa took over a team that should have gone to the 2003 series if it weren't for that moron Little and was down 3-0 until the Yankees choked away the ALCS, he got swept the following year by the White Sox, missed the playoffs in 2006 and was down 3-1 vs the Indians until they imploded.

Comparing him to Williams is like apples vs hand grenades, get a clue before you make idiotic statements like that. I know the history of the Sox like the back of my hand and you clearly don't.

Last edited:
One of my best friends is a Cardinals fan, he's got season tickets along with three other guys.

After the Sox went up 3-0, one of them couldn't stand the thought of the Red Sox celebrating in front of his eyes, so he gave up his game 4 and 5 tickets on the condition that I buy them both, which I did.

I flew out and got there in time for game 4, the rest is history. My friend is a St Louis police officer who used to do stadium details and he got me onto the field with the players as they celebrated.

It was the happiest day of my life as a Boston sports fan, along with the 2002 Super Bowl, we'll call them 1 and 1A.......

Dang, that just gave me chills. Geez, did you make out with Drew Barrymore.

Thanks Scout, she and that nitwit Fallon where afew yards away from me and noone had a clue why they were out there; as we all now know, they were reshooting the ending of that brutal movie fever pitch.

For what it's worth, I was also down at Shea for game six (yes, THAT game six) in 1986 AND game 7. Just brutal. I was at Fenway for games 1,2, 6 and 7 of the ALCS that year as well as games 3,4 and 5 of the World Series (my father was a Boston Police officer at the time and got me into all five games for zip).

I was also down at the toilet in the Bronx in 2003 for games 6 and 7 (sat about 20 yards away from where Boone's home run landed) BUT, was also there for games 6 and 7 in 2004, so that more than made up for 1986 and 2003..............

nice street cred there, bro.:D

"You are just showing your intelligence by calling the best manager of the Sox in our life time".......................

You must be 12 years old then because the best manager the Red Sox have ever had was **** Williams. He took a pile of chicken sh!t and turned it into chicken salad in 1967, taking the Cardinals to seven games. He then managed that insane group of A's to back to back World Series titles, then took a rinky dink Padres team to the World Series in 1984, losing to the powerhouse Tigers. Had Yawkey not fired the guy, the Red Sox would have won the world series in 1972 and 1975.

FrancoNa took over a team that should have gone to the 2003 series if it weren't for that moron Little and was down 3-0 until the Yankees choked away the ALCS, he got swept the following year by the White Sox, missed the playoffs in 2006 and was down 3-1 vs the Indians until they imploded.

Comparing him to Williams is like apples vs hand grenades, get a clue before you make idiotic statements like that. I know the history of the Sox like the back of my hand and you clearly don't.
that must have been a blast. reminds me of my boston sports dream come true. a buddy of mine on my baseball team worked part time for the boston herald. he had press credentials. he took me into see game 7 of the quarter finals against the bucks at the garden during the 1987 playoffs.
we got there at 10 am to see larry bird on the court shooting around . me my friend larry bird and his personal re bounder. that was it out on the darkened parquet. then we had a buffet breakfast with bob ryan and the other media clowns. then we sat on the floor with the photographers to watch the game. after we were able to go into the area where the coaches and players got interviewed . what a night. i still have my press pass.

Why are you bringing up seasons in which Williams managed other teams?

"Why are you bringing up seasons in which Williams managed other teams?"

Because he was the best manager the Red Sox ever had and they effed up by firing the guy; had he remained here, they win the 72 and 75 World Series, no doubt about it.

I still don't see how you can call him the best manager the Sox have ever had when he never won a championship here. We just have different opinions, no big deal.

"I still don't see how you can call him the best manager the Sox have ever had when he never won a championship here. We just have different opinions, no big deal."

That we can agree on; my point is he was the best manager they ever had, you feel Francona is, no harm, no foul.

If the Red Sox win the World Series again this year (it's basically wide open at this point), they are a lock for team of this decade, unreal to ever think something like that would happen regarding the "Haven't won a World Series in 86 years prior to 2004" Boston Red Sox.

Bums me out regarding all the die hard fans who died prior to 2004 and never got to see this; my grandfather and uncle come to mind..............

I still don't see how you can call him the best manager the Sox have ever had when he never won a championship here. We just have different opinions, no big deal.

The reason the Sox did not win the 67' World Series was because of Bob Gibson. Baseball lowered the mound after 67' mainly due to Gibson. No other pitcher has been as dominant in a series since. That Red Sox team was amazing. This year, the Rays are sort of like the Sox in that they have come from last to first, but the difference is the Rays have been acquiring all these great athletes. The 67 Sox had three rookies right up the middle (Gibson, Andrews, Smith) and only Smith would compare to anything the Rays have in their lineup.
Not even close, **** Williams was the greatest coach in the Sox history. What if Herb Brooks had lost in OT to the Russians. Would that mean Brooks wasn't the greatest USA Olympic hockey coach ever?

The reason the Sox did not win the 67' World Series was because of Bob Gibson. ?

That and the fact that they only won the pennant on the last day of the season so they couldn't set up their pitching rotation for the post-season. Because Lonborg had to pitch on the last day versus Minn ( I'm old enough to remember it) Jose Santiago started and pitched in game 1. As a result Lonborg didn't face Gibson until game seven when he (Lonborg) pitched on 2 days rest. Who knows what would have happened had Lonborg had 3 days rest...
As for Williams, he and Francona are the two best managers in my lifetime. However, Williams managerial style got old after 4 years and to say he would have won in 72 or 75 is stretching it....That's why he didn't last too long in any place. Francona is built for the long haul ala Torre, Bobby Cox and others...

That and the fact that they only won the pennant on the last day of the season so they couldn't set up their pitching rotation for the post-season. Because Lonborg had to pitch on the last day versus Minn ( I'm old enough to remember it) Jose Santiago started and pitched in game 1. As a result Lonborg didn't face Gibson until game seven when he (Lonborg) pitched on 2 days rest. Who knows what would have happened had Lonborg had 3 days rest...
As for Williams, he and Francona are the two best managers in my lifetime. However, Williams managerial style got old after 4 years and to say he would have won in 72 or 75 is stretching it....That's why he didn't last too long in any place. Francona is built for the long haul ala Torre, Bobby Cox and others...

Agree that Williams was tough. On the other hand, put Francona as coach of the 67' Sox and they do not win. Good to hear from someone who remembers the day. Hey, how about Tony C telling a vet who was laughing after an error, 'no wonder you guys always lose (or something to that effect). Him and Andrews would always get into fisticuffs, something about the Irish and Italians.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back