PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox Transactions Thread

so what? They didn't let them get to free agency and tied them up to multi-year deals.

this is what i meant to say
the thing that drives me crazy about the sox is they never seem to go the extra mile to resign there own free agents. damon jason bay ect ect. but they are so willing to shell out the cash and extra years to guys like crawford and lackey.

Last edited:
this is what i meant to say
the thing that drives me crazy about the sox is they never seem to go the extra mile to resign there own free agents. damon jason bay ect ect. but they are so willing to shell out the cash and extra years to guys like crawford and lackey.

I guess I don't understand why you're differentiating b/t their own free agents and their own players who they lock up before getting to free agency.

I loved Pap as much as the next guy, and he did have a great season this past year. But one stat that gets ignored is his fly ball ratio. He was allowing a lot including this year and they kept going up. He may have just hit his peak.

If Ellsbury leaves it will be because of the Youk thing (I hope not) or Boras just gets in to his head and tells him to leave Boston.

I guess I don't understand why you're differentiating b/t their own free agents and their own players who they lock up before getting to free agency.
i wish there was a button to push to record a message instead of all the typing.

I loved Pap as much as the next guy, and he did have a great season this past year. But one stat that gets ignored is his fly ball ratio. He was allowing a lot including this year and they kept going up. He may have just hit his peak.

If Ellsbury leaves it will be because of the Youk thing (I hope not) or Boras just gets in to his head and tells him to leave Boston.

not sure why people are saying Papelbon had such a good year. It was far better than '10, certainly, but it wasn't the kind of year you expect from a top-tier closer -- not nearly what he was his first 2-3 seasons w/the club.

What's the Youk thing, re. Ellsbury - is he one of the people who questioned Ellsbury's injuries last year?

not sure why people are saying Papelbon had such a good year. It was far better than '10, certainly, but it wasn't the kind of year you expect from a top-tier closer -- not nearly what he was his first 2-3 seasons w/the club.

What's the Youk thing, re. Ellsbury - is he one of the people who questioned Ellsbury's injuries last year?

Yes, Youk was vocal and questioned the rib injury Ellsbury had that kept him out for the year. The same youk who has now been hurt the last two years. Youk has peaked and I wouldn't mind getting rid of him...but his value is low and we dont have an in house 3b ready yet.

knowing what we know now about the bums[character] on this team .people are right to question injuries. i don't know what media access you get where you live but here in the boston area they had the now fired strength and conditioning coach on weei[radio]. he said key players in the rotation and others were not doing the work they needed to be doing. the benefit of the doubt is gone with this team now.

knowing what we know now about the bums[character] on this team .people are right to question injuries. i don't know what media access you get where you live but here in the boston area they had the now fired strength and conditioning coach on weei[radio]. he said key players in the rotation and others were not doing the work they needed to be doing. the benefit of the doubt is gone with this team now.

That would apply equally to Youk, wouldn't it? My question was about Youkilis and Ellsbury.

(btw, not sure exactly what you're trying to get at here, but w/r/t Ellsbury, rib injuries from collisions don't have much to do with strength / conditioning...

... and if these guys have no character and are bums, why do you want the club to be paying premiums to the ones who reach free agency?)

Last edited:
That would apply equally to Youk, wouldn't it? My question was about Youkilis and Ellsbury.

(btw, not sure exactly what you're trying to get at here, but w/r/t Ellsbury, rib injuries from collisions don't have much to do with strength / conditioning...

... and if these guys have no character and are bums, why do you want the club to be paying premiums to the ones who reach free agency?)
im not trying to get at anything. the larger point was we are talking about some guys on the team that arent above dogging a injury and or not doing what they need to do to stay in shape. i want them to pay the ones worth keeping.

im not trying to get at anything. the larger point was we are talking about some guys on the team that arent above dogging a injury and or not doing what they need to do to stay in shape. i want them to pay the ones worth keeping.

But is it Youk or Ellsbury whow as dogging it or out of shape? or both? neither?

who are the ones worth keeping? Bay certainly seems to have been a good decision, even though you mentioned him.

It's easy to say all this stuff after the fact.

Honestly it was just a messy situation and still is. Youk called Ellsbury out not only for possibly faking an injury but also for not being with the team and instead rehabbing and working out at the Athlete performance place in Arizona. Honestly Youk should have kept his mouth shut or kept it in the clubhouse.

Now there are reports that Ellsbury this season still felt alienated from his teammates by it and did not have many friends in the clubhouse which means he might be tough to resign if youk is still here. Imo the red sox either need to get those two to repair their relationship or ship youk out because we can't lose ellsbury. They need to find a way to make him comfortable again if the reports are true.

And as far as resigning our own guys goes, we do it more than people realize. Instead of waiting for them to hit free agency we lock them up a year or so in advance. So we really do retain the guys we want, we just are smart and lock them in before free agency.

Damon was pretty much set on the Yankees, we had a value for him and he wasn't going to accept that. Honestly, I agree with what they did for him. He has still been productive but idk if he was worth the money the yanks gave him. And Pap just had way too big of an idea of what he was worth. But from what a new article makes it sound like, we had no shot anyways:

Pap Goes the Weasel - Dirt Dogs - Boston Red Sox Nation

Disgusting...

And as far as resigning our own guys goes, we do it more than people realize. Instead of waiting for them to hit free agency we lock them up a year or so in advance. So we really do retain the guys we want, we just are smart and lock them in before free agency.

Damon was pretty much set on the Yankees, we had a value for him and he wasn't going to accept that. Honestly, I agree with what they did for him. He has still been productive but idk if he was worth the money the yanks gave him. And Pap just had way too big of an idea of what he was worth. But from what a new article makes it sound like, we had no shot anyways:

Pap Goes the Weasel - Dirt Dogs - Boston Red Sox Nation

Disgusting...

I thought I had heard differently re Damon -- that the Yanks basically made him a take it or leave it offer so that he couldn't shop their offer to the Sox or anybody else. of course, who knows what's true and what's not.

As for Papelbon, I think he had a pretty good sense of what he was worth :) Madsen's asking price made it a no-brainer for the Phils.

I always had the sense that Papelbon would go to the highest bidder. I looked past the annoying aspects of his personality when he was dominant, but when he became just a decent closer, it became harder to like the guy. I appreciate what he did, and he leaves another big hole on the staff, but I never had any misconceptions about his loyalty to the Sox or Sox fans.

(btw, I wouldn't trust much from Dirt Dogs... but that's just me)

I thought I had heard differently re Damon -- that the Yanks basically made him a take it or leave it offer so that he couldn't shop their offer to the Sox or anybody else. of course, who knows what's true and what's not.

As for Papelbon, I think he had a pretty good sense of what he was worth :) Madsen's asking price made it a no-brainer for the Phils.

I always had the sense that Papelbon would go to the highest bidder. I looked past the annoying aspects of his personality when he was dominant, but when he became just a decent closer, it became harder to like the guy. I appreciate what he did, and he leaves another big hole on the staff, but I never had any misconceptions about his loyalty to the Sox or Sox fans.

(btw, I wouldn't trust much from Dirt Dogs... but that's just me)

I agree with everything you just said haha. Papelbon was always going to be a guy to go where the money took him. I don't trust Dirt Dogs much either but there have been other reports of the same type of deal. The main point is we do a better job then people realize in keeping our own guys. We just approach it from the manner of signing them before they hit free agency.

Dirt Dogs is for humor only and sarcastic quips. It should not be taken as reliable news. They do have rumor feeds along the right hand side, but those are rumors.

Well looks like we lost our leading managerial candidate to Theo of course. I was really high on him too. And now we might be bringing in more candidates. This could end up taking all offseason lol

When is Wakefield going to retire? Unfortunately it seems he doesn't appear capable of making the decision that his time is up as a contributing MLB pitcher.

Retire gracefully and of your own doing Wake.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back