PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox Trade for Adrian Gonzalez

Now for some intrigue ...

The Nationals were one of 3 teams interested in Cliff Lee ... now they probably cannot afford him. Cliff Lee wants 6 years and the Yankees may offer him that. There is a mystery team out there ...

could it be the Red Sox ... stay tuned.

Would you rather have Crawford and a 6/7 year contract or Cliff Lee 6 years?

The only thing that makes me question Lee is an added left hander to the rotation with the right field fence moved in seems a bit illogical ... then again ... what do we really know.

Last edited:

You gave up 3 draft picks to get him and you would get 2 draft picks back if you lose him. So you gambled 1 draft pick vs a years production that you can sign him. You get him for 1 year at the cost of 1 draft pick. You still have money this year thanks to his 2011 salary to go after Crawford or Lee. Now I know they have a deal in place to extend him ... but even if they didn't the above scenario shows that they could have rented him for the year and not have lost much.

Last edited:

The Nationals were one of 3 teams interested in Cliff Lee ... now they probably cannot afford him. Cliff Lee wants 6 years and the Yankees may offer him that. There is a mystery team out there ...

Would you rather have Crawford and a 6/7 year contract or Cliff Lee 6 years?

The only thing that makes me question Lee is an added left hander to the rotation with the right field fence moved in seems a bit illogical ... then again ... what do we really know.

considering how beckett and lackey suked big time last year i would rather have cliff lee.

I definitely agree that this is money spent well....I wonder if we couldn't go after Lee and Crawford because Drew and Daisuke's big $'s will come off the books after next season I believe? Also I think that Mike Cameron only signed a 2 year deal so after next season his $ should be off the books as well.....If this were to happen and we get A-Gonz, Lee, Crawford then after the 2011 season it looks like we would only need a SS and we will be set.....Obviously we will throw in some bullpen arms but it doesn't look like their are any big names available.....Now is the time Theo....Make it happen...

I definitely agree that this is money spent well....I wonder if we couldn't go after Lee and Crawford because Drew and Daisuke's big $'s will come off the books after next season I believe? Also I think that Mike Cameron only signed a 2 year deal so after next season his $ should be off the books as well.....If this were to happen and we get A-Gonz, Lee, Crawford then after the 2011 season it looks like we would only need a SS and we will be set.....Obviously we will throw in some bullpen arms but it doesn't look like their are any big names available.....Now is the time Theo....Make it happen...

Iglesias could be ready this year. They said he was ready defensively already even at the age of 19, he's 20 now. Iglesias will end Theo's reputation for sucking in evaluating that position.

Jose Iglesias | SoxProspects.com

Reportedly, the two sides have agreed on a 7 year, $154 million extension, which would pay Gonzo roughly $22 million a season starting in 2011. With the year left on his original deal, Gonzalez' full contract will be 8 years, $161 million.

In all likelihood, this won't be announced until after the season due to luxury tax related purposes.

He's going nowhere anytime soon. Great trade by the Sox. While Kelly, Rizzo and Fuentes are value prospects, the Sox managed to keep Kalish and Iglesias. I was certain San Diego would ask for either, if not both.

Last edited:

The "mystery team" is reportedly Philadelphia, and I've also heard the Mets could wind up involved. However, don't be surprised if the Sox DO get involved, just to drive New York's price up.

As is, I think the "major" spending is done for now. I know there's talks that Crawford could come to Boston, and while I wouldn't object by any means, I wonder aloud if Theo and Co. are going to meet his contract demands. Jayson Werth's contract set a pretty high bar, and now reportedly Crawford's looking for an 8 year deal, in the $130- $140 million contract demand.

My suspicion is they could go after a guy like Jeremy Bonderman or Jeff Francis for the rotation and Scott Downs or Jesse Crain for the bullpen.

Sports in Boston is looking great just now.

Pats are obviously doing great for such an inexperienced team.
Celtics are ticking over very nicely
Red Sox are just a couple of players away from being the team to beat
Bruins just need to get some consistancy and will do well.

Love it

There's only one way to describe how I feel about the signing and imminent contract extension to Adrian Gonzalez.

simon-cowell-orgasm-face_nc.jpg

Love this trade. Thank God! :rocker:
Now go get Upton and push the eject button on drew and dice-k.

wow. you can kiss crawford goodbye also. the yankees want him. all i can say go pats. we need a win on monday night. the sox are a joke.

Want to retract this? Theo's done a good job of keeping negotiations out of the media, next we'll hear they signed Cliff Lee

The last two weeks of Felger and Mazz talk just went out the window, everything they've said turns out not to be true.

Want to retract this? Theo's done a good job of keeping negotiations out of the media, next we'll hear they signed Cliff Lee

The last two weeks of Felger and Mazz talk just went out the window, everything they've said turns out not to be true.
If the Red Sox sign Cliff Lee and indeed Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez are extended with long contract offers I'm going to do lots of strange **** this weekend with the ladies and force them to wear every single piece of Red Sox clothing I own whilst doing it.

Last edited:

ya why not. i was wrong wrong wrong:D anytime i hear the yankees are interested in a player i assume hes gone. its comes from a lot of years of disapoinment. the old pre 2004 redsox fan in me is still alive deep in my soul. if they signed cliff lee i would be orgasmic. i think they will work on the bullpen next.:rocker:

Last edited:
JFC!! If they're going to have to overpay someone, this is it. It's sh!t like this that confuses me as to who the **** is making these decisions.

Wow! This is one occasion I am happy to come back and say I was wrong and apologize to Theo. This is awesome!!!:rocker::rocker::singing::singing:

This was a good move for the Sox. Get a powerful lefty, who is a gold glover, can hit righties too, is still young, and did not require the entire farm system to get. He will be a big presence in the lineup, and now with the addition of Crawford it will give us the best lineup in baseball!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back