PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox Trade for Adrian Gonzalez

the only point i was making regarding damon is that you can never say never. nobody at the time thought damon was going to leave the redsox. all that year all you heard was don't worry they will get a deal done blah blah blah. the sox ended up being wrong on damon. he was worth the extra money and time on the contract he got from the yankees

I know what your trying to say but we did win the WS with Ellsbury after Damon left. I want the shiny new toy too but Im all for fiscal responsibility.

Something will get done. You dont announce a trade and fly a player into Boston just to see it blow up in your face. I think Theo and co are hardballing at this point. There's still plenty of time to make a deal with A-Gon, it may not get done today, tomorrow, or any time in the very near future but eventually. The only thing that sucks here is that us fans are being dragged along.

I know what your trying to say but we did win the WS with Ellsbury after Damon left. I want the shiny new toy too but Im all for fiscal responsibility.

Why are you all for fiscal responsibility? Is there some sort of salary cap that the MLB just installed that we need to be made aware of?

when did the redsox become a small market team?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Something will get done. You dont announce a trade and fly a player into Boston just to see it blow up in your face. I think Theo and co are hardballing at this point. There's still plenty of time to make a deal with A-Gon, it may not get done today, tomorrow, or any time in the very near future but eventually. The only thing that sucks here is that us fans are being dragged along.
the redsox never announced anything . you fly the player in for a physical.

I don't know why I fell into the trap again, this team constantly does this to us. Get us as high as Mount Everest only to push us off into Death Valley.

I mean, when you guys got the deal in place with SD, what did you expect Adrian to want in an extension? A team friendly contract?

This FO really needs to take a look in the mirror and find out why they can never get the big deal done.
they offered werth a four year deal. i mean why do they even bother with a offer like that?

Excellent news. But I'm still afraid to get excited. I'm afraid that I'll be let down again.

im afraid they made the trade without getting a deal done. if they did that its a huge risk.

The Padres got 1 more player (less the PTBNL) than they would have gotten had they lost Adrian. If he plays through his contract we get 2 back from whomever signs him. It's not as risky as it appears considering Theo's track record in the draft.

Net result if we lose him is we lose one 6th rounder Rizzo who panned out very well but who also helped allow us to keep other 1st rounders. Drafting lower round players and then trading them like they are 1's is great business for a big market team like the Sox who cannot possibly use all their 1st rounders and who also mostly draft from the lower middle to the bottom of the draft.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cmasspatsfan View Post
Why are you all for fiscal responsibility? Is there some sort of salary cap that the MLB just installed that we need to be made aware of?

Every team has a self imposed salary cap, whether we like it or not or think they should or not, yes even the Yankees (see Jeter), I want them to spend wisely, we need a bullpen and our starting pitching to pitch better if we're going to win anything, Agon or not. Im more interested in who they sign for the 6th &7th innings.
The reason they've been competative for that last 7 or so years is because they've been smart spending on free agents (for the most part).

Every team has a self imposed salary cap, whether we like it or not or think they should or not, yes even the Yankees (see Jeter), I want them to spend wisely, we need a bullpen and our starting pitching to pitch better if we're going to win anything, Agon or not. Im more interested in who they sign for the 6th &7th innings.
The reason they've been competative for that last 7 or so years is because they've been smart spending on free agents (for the most part).
they have been lousy on how and who they have spent there free agent money on are you kidding? the reason they have had succses is there home grown talent[farm system]. anyway giving 8 years to gonzo is spending wisely imo. the guy is 28. and the yankees signed arod to the worst contract in the history of baseball. they dont have a self imposed salary cap:rolleyes:220 million dollar payroll:rolleyes: and jeter would only get 17 mill per year from the yankees. no other team would come close to that.

Last edited:
You need to chill out captain insano.

The Padres got 1 more player (less the PTBNL) than they would have gotten had they lost Adrian. If he plays through his contract we get 2 back from whomever signs him. It's not as risky as it appears considering Theo's track record in the draft.

Net result if we lose him is we lose one 6th rounder Rizzo who panned out very well but who also helped allow us to keep other 1st rounders. Drafting lower round players and then trading them like they are 1's is great business for a big market team like the Sox who cannot possibly use all their 1st rounders and who also mostly draft from the lower middle to the bottom of the draft.
:confused::confused::confused:

they have been lousy on how and who they have spent there free agent money on are you kidding? the reason they have had succses is there home grown talent[farm system]. anyway giving 8 years to gonzo is spending wisely imo. the guy is 28. and the yankees signed arod to the worst contract in the history of baseball. they dont have a self imposed salary cap:rolleyes:220 million dollar payroll:rolleyes: and jeter would only get 17 mill per year from the yankees. no other team would come close to that.

Jason Werth says hi, as do a ****load of other players who aren't arguably the best player in baseball.

Well worth it. They should have ponied up an 8 year deal in the first place.
i agree. worth every penny. he will be 36 when the deal is up. unlike the arod deal that has him under contract till hes 40 something. i guarantee you the yankees wish they could do that over again. especially since he got that contract before his roid use came out.

Last edited:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back