Welcome to PatsFans.com

Red Sox in talks to trade Manny to the Dodgers

Discussion in 'Red Sox Fan Forum' started by AStack75, Jul 29, 2008.

1. AStack75

AStack75 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just got a text from WEEI. That's all the details it mentioned. Their source was WBZ-TV.

2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,899 / 32 / -49

No Jersey Selected

Very, very, very bad move.

3. tedylb

tedylb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Let's see what LA offers first (return of Nomar? Just kididng). I don't think Theo will give him away.

4. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

depends on what they would get back. it cant hurt to explore the option.

5. MKats31

MKats31 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who can we even get from the Dodgers that doesn't suck?

6. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I'd take Broxton and Kemp.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Fat chance. Kemp is a 5 tool stud, and Broxton is their gas throwing closer for the next 10 years. The Sox might get somebody like Ethier &/or Kent, with maybe a prospect like Dewitt.

8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

The Dodgers still have Saito when he gets off the DL and were in talks with Oakland for Street, so I don't think they value Broxton that highly. I brought up Kemp because other than Kershaw, he's the only plaer I could think of that would be worth it to trade Manny for. Why would they trade for an unproven talent in Ethier and a prospect when they are still in the hunt this year? The only outside chance I can think of is that there's some elaborate multi-way deal in the works such as trading Manny for prospects and then trading those prospects and some of ours, and maybe cash to the Rockies for Holliday. But I don't see why the Rockies or the Sox would want that seeing as though they are both in contention. I'm pretty sure this is nothing an Manny won't be traded this year but will be elsewhere next year.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  9. Char2na

Char2na Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Glad theres finally some news of a possible team. Not that I'd like to see him go, on the contrary. But these articles on MLB.com and redsox.com saying 'Manny unlikely to go to the the Mets'....Who Cares. I don't give a sh*t what team hes NOT going to be traded to. I just wrote an article myself. Its called 'David Ortiz probably not going to take over at catcher for a struggling Jason Veritek w/ Barry Bonds most certainly not to fill in for Ortiz at DH'

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Saito is 38 years old with a busted elbow. The Dodgers absolutely value Broxton highly. He's their closer for the next 10 years. He throws absolute gas. Look at his career numbers & he just turned 24 last month. He's averaging 11+ k's per 9 for his career, with far fewer hits per innings pitched. The guy is a beast. Teams know the Sox are trying to dump Manny. They also know that Manny will only ok a deal if he's allowed to be a free agent at the end of the season. So that means Manny is a two month rental. No team is trading major league blue chippers for him. Look at what Atlanta got for Texiera, a decent major league 1st baseman who doesn't hit for much power, and a failed minor league starter turned reliever, with some upside as a top 3 bullpen arm. The Sox, if they do trade Manny, which like you, I don't see it happening, will get 60 cents on the dollar in any deal.

11. JAYHAWKS34

JAYHAWKS34 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

funny you said that he actually is hurt again can you believe it

12. Foley

Foley Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kemp and Broxton for Manny would be the equivalently of Papelbon and Ellsbury for Chipper Jones. If Ellsbury had 30HR potential. Total pipe dream of a trade.

Pat Burrell is the best bet to replace Manny's production this year (he's actually been a little better than Manny), and he'd probably be the best OF on the market to replace him in the off season. I don't see why the Phillies would be too interested in that trade though.

The Hermida/Willingham and prospects trade with Florida is decent in terms of value, but hurts the Sox significantly this year. Not a trade that a team in a tight division race wants to make.

13. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

pat burell sucks. hes a double play strike out machine. i dont want that guy period. if thats the guy they want to replace manny then dont do it.

14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Reading it could be :

"7:23pm: Jayson Stark says the Red Sox are trying to get Stanton, Ryan Tucker, and one of Willingham/Hermida for Ramirez."

Hermida has been a disappointment to me but I love Stanton, I think he's an absolute STUD (albeit a few years away). I like Tucker too but I love Stanton. If the Red Sox pulled this off I think it would be a great deal though it would hurt a little now.

15. Foley

Foley Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Burrell strikes out a lot (although he has the same number of K's as Manny this year in 5 more games), but he doesn't ground into a lot of DPs. He's grounded into 2 this year, which would tie him for last among Red Sox regulars with Ellsbury. He hasn't had more than 12 GIDPs since 2003. Manny, for instance, hasn't grounded into fewer than 12 DPs since 2001.

GIDPs are not a problem for Burrell.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

The Kemp deal is simply not happening. Kemp is a future 30/30 guy, and possible a 40/40 if he ever maximizes his ability. He's got a chance to be that good.

Pat Burrell would be a logical swap if the Sox don't want to sacrafice their chances this season. He'd be as close to a production, and position match as could be. A Burrell deal would likely be an even swap, or close to it. What I wonder is if the Sox want an even swap. I kinda think they want to get a piece(s) for the future in any deal for him. In the end I bet he goes no where.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Perception isn't always reality I guess. ;)