PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox Fans pissed me off

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you doing at a Sox game anyway?:rolleyes:

Maybe I am old fashioned or just nieve but I always try to cheer the hometown team. Sure I like football better than baseball but WTF? PRobably an off crowd last night. After all Sox are in the playoffs now. Game really did not mean anything.:rolleyes: Maybe nobody really knew about it yet.

Over the years:
I thought it was great when the Patriots came out from behind that flag on opening day in 02. I loved it.

I saw the Fenway blecher fans boo a guy in a Penguins jersey all night after they eliminated the Bruins from the playoffs.

I saw Clay Bucholtz get cheered on the Jumbotron at Gillette at a Jimmy Bufffet concert last year. That was a few days after his no-hitter. Buffett fans did not complain as far as I know.

I personally like the 4 teams sharing time. That is what makes it so much fun to live here.

I'm still trying to figure out whether this entire thread is meant to be a joke or not. Big deal, he was on the jumbotron? I saw his interview at the game during the NESN telecast and thought it was pretty cool to see him there, but what are people supposed to do, stand up and bow down saying "we're not worthy"?

I love Troy Brown just as much as anyone (in fact, his shirt is the only Pats one I have ever owned), but people on this forum act like he's the second coming of Jesus sometimes. Get a grip.

That IS really random :D I tried to think of someone who isn't flashy but worked hard and played for the team for a long time. Cool that you got to meet him :)

LB was hilarious! Sweeney was more of a (huge) pretty boy. Nice guys.

Why are so many Pats fans insecure about how others view the Patriots. Whether it's the media or other fans in this town. I don't think I've heard a Red Sox fan complain about crap like this concerning the Patriots. If the Pats had a big win (as big a win as you can get I guess in september or october) and they flashed the scoreboard during a sox game, I'm sure many people would cheer just like sox fans cheered at the pats/tenn game a few years ago.

Insecurity is part of this forum's DNA. Granted it's been awhile since we've had a Red Sox thread.

This is a thread about how one of the greatest athletes this region has known, was shunned by the pick hat, wine and cheese crowd.

Thank goodness he didn't say "pink hat", because then I would have had to start my rant about how insensitive all those people are who look down on pink hats - even to the point of trying to make it a denigrating phrase.

Fortunately, we can instead stay on topic about a non-event at a baseball park.

You assume everyone at the Red Sox game is also a fan of football. That's just not the case. They may know who Troy Brown is, but should they be made to react if they honestly don't care?

If they put a picture of someone like Don Sweeney on the jumbotron during a Celtics game, would you expect everyone to go nuts? No, because Don Sweeney was a solid HOCKEY player, who HOCKEY fans would really appreciate it. He isn't likely to make the fame crossover into another sport's demographics.

Troy's popularity is higher than Sweeney's, I realized that obviously, but the point remains the same. I love Troy Brown, I think he's a great Patriot, but I'm not going to demand that fans of other sports pay homage to him just because he played for a New England team.

Any fan of sport, in any town, in any stadium should know who Troy Brown is and what he stands for, if they don;t they should learn fast of the want to be a fan of sports. He should be cheered loudly.....

What he has done transcends all of sport.

Only in Pittsburgh, would he be boo'd, becasue they have no class there and he destroyed them on many occasions.

Last edited:
Any fan of sport, in any town, in any stadium should know who Troy Brown is and what he stands for, if they don't they should learn fast of the want to be a fan of sports. He should be cheered loudly...

Football players are not as easily recognized out of uniform as are baseball or basketball players. We are used to seeing them in helmets and pads. There is a world of difference in football gear and street clothes. There is not as much a difference for basketball and baseball players.

Sure, us die-hards know them by their face, but the casual fan attending A DIFFERENT SPORT is not necessarily going to recognize immediately any Patriot faces other than Brady and Belichick. For this reason, I don't think that this is Sox fan arrogance or indifference, it was just lack of instant association of the person with the face.

If the PA announcer said "we'd like to welcome newly retired Patriots great Troy Brown to the ballpark, and THEN showed him on the jumbotron, then I'm sure the ovation would have been huge.

As much as he means to us, I think Troy is still a touch obscure to the average fan. That's actually kind of his charm and why I think he means a lot to many of us -- he was a team guy who never really stood out, he just did what it took to win championships.

So I think the David Ortiz comparison isn't quite right. I think Tom Brady would get a huge ovation at Fenway, just as Fenway consistently drowned out the game with "Beat L.A." cheers earlier this year. I'm not sure what the equivalent of Troy would be at the Razor -- maybe Jason Varitek or something.

Last edited:
Why are so many Pats fans insecure about how others view the Patriots. Whether it's the media or other fans in this town. I don't think I've heard a Red Sox fan complain about crap like this concerning the Patriots. If the Pats had a big win (as big a win as you can get I guess in september or october) and they flashed the scoreboard during a sox game, I'm sure many people would cheer just like sox fans cheered at the pats/tenn game a few years ago.

Don't try to understand it. A lot of Pats fans have a huge inferiority complex that doesn't exist with the other big three sports teams in town. Just accept that "it is what it is" and move on.

Any fan of sport, in any town, in any stadium should know who Troy Brown is and what he stands for, if they don;t they should learn fast of the want to be a fan of sports. He should be cheered loudly.....

What he has done transcends all of sport.

Only in Pittsburgh, would he be boo'd, becasue they have no class there and he destroyed them on many occasions.

No, they SHOULD not. Would it be nice if they did? Yes. Do I think they would appreciate him quite a bit if they knew more about him? Absolutely! But to say they SHOULD know, is arrogant in and of itself. Makes you sound like you're better than them because you know who Troy Brown is :rolleyes:

Some people just don't care about football. That's not a bad thing, it's a preference. I like both sports. Some people only like one. Can't make people care about things they just don't care about.

I'm still trying to figure out whether this entire thread is meant to be a joke or not. Big deal, he was on the jumbotron? I saw his interview at the game during the NESN telecast and thought it was pretty cool to see him there, but what are people supposed to do, stand up and bow down saying "we're not worthy"?

I love Troy Brown just as much as anyone (in fact, his shirt is the only Pats one I have ever owned), but people on this forum act like he's the second coming of Jesus sometimes. Get a grip.

Thread was not meant as a joke.

I was put off by it last night. I think if you asked most Red Sox fans if they are a fan of the Patriots more than enough would say yes. Yet when the Sox tried to honor a local sports hero the Sox fans were to snotty to even notice it, recognize him, or awknowledge him. And especially with all the criticism of the Gillette crowd I thought it was worth noting that the Sox crowd is way more lame than Gillette.

Don't try to understand it. A lot of Pats fans have a huge inferiority complex that doesn't exist with the other big three sports teams in town. Just accept that "it is what it is" and move on.

ya hit the nail on the head

Please. For the love of God. Make stick-and-ball posts in the stick-and-ball forum. :banned::mad:

Sorry mister thread monitor should I have asked you if it was ok to put this topic about Troy Brown (you know the greatest Patriot WR) on the main page because it refrenced the Red Sox.

JAYHAWKS said:
just tough to fight the mob

yeah you are right. I tried to last night I got up from my seat for what I thought would be a standing O and instead I tried to urge everyone on and the Mob just ignored me.

As much as he means to us, I think Troy is still a touch obscure to the average fan. That's actually kind of his charm and why I think he means a lot to many of us -- he was a team guy who never really stood out, he just did what it took to win championships.

So I think the David Ortiz comparison isn't quite right. I think Tom Brady would get a huge ovation at Fenway, just as Fenway consistently drowned out the game with "Beat L.A." cheers earlier this year. I'm not sure what the equivalent of Troy would be at the Razor -- maybe Jason Varitek or something.

Troy was one of the quiet "heroes" of our game and our team-you didn't see his face on commercials,he had sort of limited media exposure to the general public,there weren't mics in his face after every game, and he hasn't been out on the field in quite sometime (though Pats fans wish he was at times, for sure), so realistically many newer members of Red Sox Nation-and there are a LOT of those-may not really know all his accomplishments.

Troy's a Patriot and his legacy really belongs to football and to us. I don't know what Troy's Red Sox equivalent would be, but I agree that Ortiz probably isn't the one. Maybe someone like Jacoby Ellsbury?

Inferiority complex? I have SUPERIORITY complex as a Pats fan vs. those who blindly pledge allegiance to the Bankofamericasox. :singing:

Troy was one of the quiet "heroes" of our game and our team-you didn't see his face on commercials,he had sort of limited media exposure to the general public,there weren't mics in his face after every game, and he hasn't been out on the field in quite sometime (though Pats fans wish he was at times, for sure), so realistically many newer members of Red Sox Nation-and there are a LOT of those-may not really know all his accomplishments.

Troy's a Patriot and his legacy really belongs to football and to us. I don't know what Troy's Red Sox equivalent would be, but I agree that Ortiz probably isn't the one. Maybe someone like Jacoby Ellsbury?

Nah, if I were going to equate someone to Troy Brown, I would say Tim Wakefield. Been around forever, numbers aren't spectacular but are solid. Played a variety of roles. Won championships but was never the face like an ace, or the guy who got the last out, etc.

I agree with the person who said baseball players are more recognizeable because their faces aren't hidden as well.

It really is bizarre how much animosity there is towards teh Sox on this board.

It really is bizarre how much animosity there is towards teh Sox on this board.

It's very well deserved. :singing:

Nah, if I were going to equate someone to Troy Brown, I would say Tim Wakefield. Been around forever, numbers aren't spectacular but are solid. Played a variety of roles. Won championships but was never the face like an ace, or the guy who got the last out, etc.

I agree with the person who said baseball players are more recognizeable because their faces aren't hidden as well.

That's true too.

Sort of along those lines, I think some baseball teams actually purposely do not have their names on the backs of their home unis because their home crowd is expected to know who their own players are without being told (so to speak). Also there's not a lot of player movement in baseball so you just pretty much stare at them for long periods of time-even the newer fans can probably facially recognize almost everybody in a much shorter time than football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back