cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I am really not sure who will be gone next year, but 2011 quite a few
of our current players will be gone.

Will Jason Bay be back for 2010???
I would not break the bank on him. He is great when he is hot, but when
he goes cold... he is terrible.

In 2011 the following players will probably be gone.

Varitek - Has a $3 million player option for 2010 or a $5 million team option.
If he is back next year he will be gone in 2011.

Lowell - 1 year left on his contract - I doubt he will be brought back for 2011

Ortiz - Team has an option for 2011. If 2010 is like 2009 he will not be back
for 2011.

Alex Gonzalez - I doubt he will be back for 2011.

Beckett ??? FA after 2010 - Will he be back

Anybody else???

Who do we get as replacements.

I know Theo is interested in Adrian Gonzalez & Felix Hernandez.

There's 2 ways to look at it. You can say the Sox have positioned themselves to be flexible with their roster in the next couple of seasons. They have big dollars coming off the books, as well as positions available. First base, third, short, DH, the OF, are all open slots in the next two seasons. Roster flexibility is important in this league. The Sox, along with open spots, and deep pockets, have a solid minor league system that should allow them to aquire pieces for their major league team. They could theoretically go out there and trade for a guy like Adrian Gonzalez, or Felix Hernandez, while making a free agent run at an OF like Holliday. They have the resources to reload in a big way.

The flip to this is that they have needs, and there are no guarantees that they can fill them. Just cuz a free agent is on the market, it doesn't mean you're a guarantee to sign him. Also, making trades requires two teams to come to an agreement. If a team feels another is desparate, then they hold out for a kings ransom. Also, when it comes to aquirable players, you won't be the only team trying to get them. So the negative aspect is that there is nothing concrete, and no guarantees. Personally, I think the sox are in a good position. They have good pitching locked up, a solid neucleus in the lineup (think youk, pedroia, ellsbury, Lowell), deep pockets, and a stable of young players they can move for established talent. Plus, the Angles are a terrific team, so people shouldn't overreact about the state of the Redsox.

isn't bobby abreu a free agent next year? i think he only signed a 1 year deal with the angels. hes a possible dh replacement and hes very familiar with francona from his phillie days. youk will be playing third next year i think so they could also just use Lowell as a dh. kotchman is still under contract and is a starter. i think Theo will go after roy holliday and felix hernandez again. great pitching will shut the best of line ups. what ever Theo does its going to be a extremely busy off season for the sox.

If Theo can find a 1st baseman our infield is actually in good shape. I would resign A-Gon as we have several excellant SS's in the pipeline - especially if Iglesias needs just 1 year to get here.

I think a big problem for us now that he's not hitting his weight is Ortiz is limited to being a DH. I hope Theo moves on from the designated DH theory. I'd much rather see the position occupied by a player who can at least play 1/2 a season if needed as a position player.

That being said the pitching is in good shape ... we need to replace Ortiz and Drew but that's easier said than done when they still have contracts.

I think we need some coaching changes ... Not Francona and Farrell but a hitting coach change might well be in order ... a good place to start.

I think they keep Ortiz, when he can hit high 20's in homerun's and drive in 99 rbi's while having a crappy season through most of the year it is still valuable. He lit it up the 2nd half of the season. I think next year he plays the whole year like he did this 2nd half and no one wants to ditch him. Varitek needs to go. Lowell has been great, but I can only see as a reserve infielder with the hip. Keep Gonzalez for right now. Also resign Bay, first full year in Fenway still turned out good and he was 2nd in the majors with 119 rbi's. Beckett will probably stay.

The problem with sports today is the guaranteed contracts. Once a guy loses it, you are stuck with him unless you want to dump him and eat the salary.

I remember when Lowell tore it up in the 2007 World Series and decided to stay here how happy I was; he's a shell of his former self, that hip injury has gutted the guy.

Ortiz and his one hit in the Angels series was a disaster, he looked more like the player we saw in the first few months of the season than the player we saw in the last few.

Despite all the dough this team spends, this team was not very well put together and they've got holes at short, third, catcher, DH and left field. They need a decent back up catcher, not a guy who can't hit and can't throw out anyone. They need a decent utility outfielder too. Del Gas Can has to go as well. Too bad they can't work out a deal to keep Wagner, he throws gas from the left side and would be a nice three headed monster with Bard and Papelbon in the pen..............

papi- cut
Wake-Cut

sign-Holliday
sign- V-Mart
Lowell=DH

If Theo can find a 1st baseman our infield is actually in good shape. I would resign A-Gon as we have several excellant SS's in the pipeline - especially if Iglesias needs just 1 year to get here.

I think a big problem for us now that he's not hitting his weight is Ortiz is limited to being a DH. I hope Theo moves on from the designated DH theory. I'd much rather see the position occupied by a player who can at least play 1/2 a season if needed as a position player.

That being said the pitching is in good shape ... we need to replace Ortiz and Drew but that's easier said than done when they still have contracts.

I think we need some coaching changes ... Not Francona and Farrell but a hitting coach change might well be in order ... a good place to start.

Replace Drew? Why?

Replace Drew? Why?

Think he's on the back nine with that body ... that being said I'd be very intrigued to see JD Drew as a DH ... He could be a good one and also be a reserve outfielder at the same time.

I've said this before - I don't want anymore DH's who suck in the field ... it really hampers the lineup. If we could move Ortiz I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Lowell and Drew share the DH duties and give them @80 games on the field.

DH'ing Drew really hurts his value. He plays a great defensive RF, especially in Fenway.

If we can get this type of season from Drew for the remaining 2 years he has on his deal in Boston, I will be very happy. People are really underrating the type of year this guy has had.

why can't lowell DH/3B?

Papi needs to go.

DH'ing Drew really hurts his value. He plays a great defensive RF, especially in Fenway

If we can get this type of season from Drew for the remaining 2 years he has on his deal in Boston, I will be very happy. People are really underrating the type of year this guy has had.

JD is one of the top FR's in the game offensively and defensively, people around here dont understand how good a ballplayer he is.

papi- cut
Wake-Cut

sign-Holliday
sign- V-Mart
Lowell=DH

Theres no way they cut papi with the money they owe him and 25+hr 100 rbi guys done fall off trees.

V Mart has an option they're going to pick up and probably try and extend him.
I think Id take Holliday over Bay if the money is equal, Holliday is an overall better ballplayer. He had a hard time getting going in Oakland but he was adjusting to the AL and Oaklands not exactly a hitters park.

Last edited:
10chars, double post

Last edited:
I'll never understand the venom directed at JD, like it's his fault Theo gave him the gross national product of the continent of South America for a salary.

He hit a clutch home run in the ALCS to vault them to the World Series in 2007 and another vs the Doofin Rays in game 5 of the ALCS in 2008 to extend that series, he has just about the sweetest left handed swing in the game and is a smooth athlete end of story..........................

Indeed. I think Papi might be done. We desperately need some hitters. I hope the Sox make some big moves in the offseason or we might not even be contending for the Wild Card, much less the division, in 2010.

JD is one of the top FR's in the game offensively and defensively, people around here dont understand how good a ballplayer he is.

Theres no way they cut papi with the money they owe him and 25+hr 100 rbi guys done fall off trees.

V Mart has an option they're going to pick up and probably try and extend him.
I think Id take Holliday over Bay if the money is equal, Holliday is an overall better ballplayer. He had a hard time getting going in Oakland but he was adjusting to the AL and Oaklands not exactly a hitters park.

Not to mention Oakland is not a hitters park..............
Coors is..... Fenway is....... St Louis is not bad.
Holliday would eat Fenway for breakfast,lunch and dinner.:singing:

Indeed. I think Papi might be done. We desperately need some hitters. I hope the Sox make some big moves in the offseason or we might not even be contending for the Wild Card, much less the division, in 2010.

He's not done yet. Take a look at his numbers after those first 2 ridiculously awful months.

He's not done yet. Take a look at his numbers after those first 2 ridiculously awful months.

He's certainly not the same though. I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow the Sox like I do the Pats. Are there any big bats that we can sign to contracts this offseason?

He's certainly not the same though. I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow the Sox like I do the Pats. Are there any big bats that we can sign to contracts this offseason?

Yeah, he's definitely not the same but we have known that for a couple years now.

Holliday and Bay are the prized free agents bats this winter. This is a pretty awful year for big time free agents.

There are a few guys the Sox should have interest in that they could acquire through a trade though.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back