PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Recording of the PI in the End Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buchanty

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
My son was watching NFL Live (edited) this afternoon and they showed the PI call on Sergio Brown that resulted in the ball being placed on the 1yd line. From there the Bills had no problem scoring the TD.

The reason I ask is that one of the commentators said that it was a bad call because Brown raised his hands up and the Bill's receiver wrapped him up. If anything it was an offensive PI.

I cant find any video of the play but would ask that anyone who DVR'd the game check it out. I know it is history but it could join the 4th and 2 call from 2 years ago and the non-holding call in the game that shall not be mentioned in the pantheon of calls that turned a win into a loss.

I still believe you have to play the game with all the variables, including bad referees, but sometimes that belief is severely tested.

Last edited:
My son was watching NFL Live (edited) this afternoon and they showed the PI call on Sergio Brown that resulted in the ball being placed on the 1yd line. From there the Bills had no problem scoring the TD.

The reason I ask is that one of the commentators said that it was a bad call because Brown raised his hands up and the Bill's receiver wrapped him up. If anything it was an offensive PI.

I cant find any video of the play but would ask that anyone who DVR'd the game check it out. I know it is history but it could join the 4th and 2 call from 2 years ago and the non-holding call in the game that shall not be mentioned in the pantheon of calls that turned a win into a loss.

I still believe you have to play the game with all the variables, including bad referees, but sometimes that belief is severely tested.

Many of us have said exactly that. That it was a bad call and it should have been Offensive PI.

Brown wasn't looking at the ball and he ran right into the receiver, who was looking at the ball. After the initial contact it did look like the receiver held him, but Brown definitely was responsible for the initial contact. The call probably should have been offsetting penalties.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was really a bad call. Looked like Brown blocked the receiver's path back to the ball. That is PI.

Though I don't know were to look up the replay I remember watching the game live and the replay they showed and thinking what a horrible call. Sergio Brown had his head turned and his arms where not holding anyone. Makes you wonder what outcome of game would've been without that bad call. Oh well, live goes on.

Correct call, incredibly stupid rule.

I've said for years that PI penalties for underthrown balls are hog wash. As if the defensive back isn't at enough of a disadvantage with the new passing mania; now, even if the coverage is perfect, the QB can just drop the ball 15 yards in in front of the route and a PI is inevitable.

From what I remember from seeing it live...Brown was going back towards the under thrown ball when Nelson grabbed Brown and wrapped him up in an attempt to stop a pick (which he didn't :p) Offensive PI in my books that was.

At least it wasn't a cheap call like the one Austin Collie got 2 seasons ago where he just ran into the Patriots DB coming back to an under thrown ball :rolleyes:

From what I remember from seeing it live...Brown was going back towards the under thrown ball when Nelson grabbed Brown and wrapped him up in an attempt to stop a pick (which he didn't :p) Offensive PI in my books that was.

At least it wasn't a cheap call like the one Austin Collie got 2 seasons ago where he just ran into the Patriots DB coming back to an under thrown ball :rolleyes:

You didn't see the Colts exception in the rule book? It's printed there in invisible ink. :rolleyes:

I have the DVR and remember that play. Sergio had his hands on the receiver and was not looking at the ball for at least a second. Anyone who you challenge about this would just bring up that small point and it doesn't matter what the receiver did after that.

It's weak at best (i know), but this is the NFL we live in.

can anyone upload or find a video of this?:confused:

That play is basically what I call getting a gift for an underthrown ball.

We have benefitted from similar calls in the past (Dolphins game a few years back comes to mind)

The NFL should really look at this rule as it is a giftwrapped big play for what is otherwise bad offensive play.

The ball is underthrown which is why the reciever is trying to stop and now go through the defender who should have a right to the same ground.

It may be the rule, but it is a very poor rule if an offense is awarded a big play due to the fact the QB underthrows the ball and the reciever changed direction and runs into the defender following him

Last edited:
Is there anything a DB can actually do on a play like that? When a ball is 7-10 yards underthrown, it seems like the only thing the rules let him do is an ole so the receiver can get back to the ball. :(

A play like that a holding call would be more fair to the DB.

Is there anything a DB can actually do on a play like that? When a ball is 7-10 yards underthrown, it seems like the only thing the rules let him do is an ole so the receiver can get back to the ball. :(

A play like that a holding call would be more fair to the DB.

How about this: if the penalty occurs after a receiver "comes back" for a ball, it's an illegal contact penalty, 5 yards + first down.

One person's viewpoint:
The Pulling Linemen: Dissecting the Defeat

"...gets easily picked off by safety Josh Barrett in the endzone. But behind Barrett is fellow safety Sergio Brown, covering the Bills wide receiver David Nelson. Nelson has reached the back of the endzone and turns to come back towards the ball, that is heading about 7 yards away from where he is. Brown is a half-second late looking back, but he has the position, Nelson has to go around him.

Rather than do that Nelson tries to go through him. Brown, worried about getting a Defensive Pass Interference flag, throws his arms up in a clear “I’m not doing anything, look” gesture. ERROR. The referee reads it as an attempt to grab Nelson (who is himself grabbing Brown) and throws the flag..."

brown+DPI.jpg

Caption competition anyone?

Look, a good team doesn't put itself in a position to have the game decided by a ref's call.

Now that that's out of the way, it was a mind-boggingly ****ty call that didn't necessarily hand the Bills the game, but came awfully close.

The refs across the league have been very, very poor, and in a few cases have affected an otherwise good game in a very negative way.

I thought it was a heady play by the reciever, he wasnt catching that ball so he grabbed the defender and got the call.
The NFL seriously has to look at this rule and make an amendment for these woefully underthrown balls that somehow garner a PI call.

The rule should be anything way underthrown should be no penalty, unless the reciever tries to decieve the ref and grab the defender, then it should be an offensive penalty.

It gets a little sketchier for balls slightly underthrown but something can be worked out thats fair.

Here is the official rule: NFL Rules Digest: Pass Interference

Originally I had thought this was an okay call because of this:

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

Crappy rule maybe but still, seemed like the right call.

But after reading through the actual rule more carefully, I don't believe that to be the case anymore, mainly because of this:

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

I remember that ball being pretty woefully under thrown. I find it hard to justify that anyone could have caught it even without this contact.

Last edited:
Here is the official rule: NFL Rules Digest: Pass Interference

Originally I had thought this was an okay call because of this:
Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

The problem is that Brown did not cut off the path of the receiver. Nelson is the one who stopped and grabbed on to Brown.

But after reading through the actual rule more carefully, I don't believe that to be the case anymore, mainly because of this:
Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

I remember that ball being pretty woefully under thrown. I find it hard to justify that anyone could have caught it even without this contact.

Now the question becomes whether or not Nelson could have gotten into position to catch the ball if Brown wasn't there. And the answer is "NO", he couldn't because Barrett had position AND the ball within milliseconds of any contact.

The biggest problem with Pass Interference is that there is no consistency in calling it. As you mentioned, the is a stipulation about the uncatchable ball by the parties involved. It was CLEAR that Nelson wasn't getting to that ball whether or not Brown was there.. Yet, the refs blow it and seem to forget about that part of the rule.

The funny thing is that there is rarely any discussion on plays like this. One ref throws a flag and the rest of them blindly follow along, even on a spot foul play that not only wipes an INT off the board and hands the other team the ball on the 1 yard line.

You'd think a play like this would at least get a conversation, considering that the 2 players involved in the foul weren't very close to the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back