PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Record training camp attendance of 12,163 (Update: Broken 24 Hours Later with 13,654)

Status
Not open for further replies.
who???

those guys soccer players or something??

I always wondered if the Patriots could ever take over Redsox nation. The time is coming as that team continues to implode.

I always wondered if the Patriots could ever take over Redsox nation. The time is coming as that team continues to implode.

It's cyclical. There was a time when the Bruins were the trendy team and their tickets were impossible to get your hands on, during the Orr-Esposito days. Later it was the Celtics, during the larry Bird era. After that it was the Red Sox ... and for some reason it still is.

Why the Patriots haven't taken over is tough to figure out. Perhaps it's a combination of things such as the business relationships with certain media outlets, the stadium not being located in the city, the difference in schedules (162 games vs 16 games), or something else.

I don't think there's any question that the Patriots have moved past the Red Sox as the biggest/most popular team in New England and it's not even close. Just look at the tv ratings and ticket (I bought Sox tickets on Stubhub for as little as $4 at the start of the season. Can't touch a decent Pat's tickets for less than $225 on SH) sales...I also don't think this is a short term trend. The NFL has reached unparraled levels of popularity while MLB is clearly on the decline in comparison.

Welcome to Patriot's nation:)

Perhaps it's a combination of things such as the business relationships with certain media outlets ...

WEEI and the Globe have vested financial interest in pushing the Bankofamericasox.

It's cyclical. There was a time when the Bruins were the trendy team and their tickets were impossible to get your hands on, during the Orr-Esposito days. Later it was the Celtics, during the larry Bird era. After that it was the Red Sox ... and for some reason it still is.

Why the Patriots haven't taken over is tough to figure out. Perhaps it's a combination of things such as the business relationships with certain media outlets, the stadium not being located in the city, the difference in schedules (162 games vs 16 games), or something else.

I don't understand why you would say that. Boston is one of the 2-3 most rabid baseball cities in the country. Why would you expect that suddenly to flip just because the Patriots have been a good team?

New England Patriots, fans open 2012 training camp with a bang - ESPN Boston

......and still the Boston Globe thinks we're all just hanging on their in depth reports about Bobby Valentine's favorite diner or Josh Beckett's lucky belt.

I assure you most of the media that claims this is a Red Sox town are either Red Sox media writers or fans over the age of 60 that still believe baseball is America's game.

Any sport without solid ownership and a salary cap is a broken product. Period.

I don't understand why you would say that. Boston is one of the 2-3 most rabid baseball cities in the country. Why would you expect that suddenly to flip just because the Patriots have been a good team?

It's all relative.

Being one of the 3 most rabid MLB cities in America in 2012 is akin to being a mid-level rabid NFL city.

Baseball is dying with the younger demo in the US.

What percentage of Americans know who won the World Series last year versus (painfully) who won the Super Bowl?

How many people know who Tim Tebow is versus Albert Pujols?

How many people can identify Rex Ryan versus Joe Girardi?

Last edited:
I assure you most of the media that claims this is a Red Sox town are either Red Sox media writers or fans over the age of 60 that still believe baseball is America's game.

But that's exactly why this is as baseball town, baseball IS broken, but broken in our favor. The Red Sox are consistently in the mix for the big free agents and thus keeping the fan's interest.

I am NOT one of those people. I don't even like baseball. I'm a diehard Patriots guy but I see why the Sox annually have so much support (win or lose).

There's nothing wrong with a league not having a salary cap. I'm not going to bother getting into this again, but feel free to go count the number of different league champions over the past 15-20 years.

My only 'rooting interest' in the Red Sox is hoping they win so my kids eat free at the 99.

But that's exactly why this is as baseball town, baseball IS broken, but broken in our favor. The Red Sox are consistently in the mix for the big free agents and thus keeping the fan's interest.

I am NOT one of those people. I don't even like baseball. I'm a diehard Patriots guy but I see why the Sox annually have so much support (win or lose).

And yet all the free agents in the world couldn't win them a title.

And yet all the free agents in the world couldn't win them a title.

Or even make the playoffs. Then you look at the Oakland As and laugh even more at the redsox.

There's nothing wrong with a league not having a salary cap. I'm not going to bother getting into this again, but feel free to go count the number of different league champions over the past 15-20 years.

Do people realize the Steelers, Colts or Patriots have been in 10 of the last 11 Super Bowls.

Now, obviously, that has a lot to do with quarterbacking. Especially for the Colts & Pats.

Do people realize the Steelers, Colts or Patriots have been in 10 of the last 11 Super Bowls.

Now, obviously, that has a lot to do with quarterbacking. Especially for the Colts & Pats.

Quarterbacking sure. But I'm pretty sure it's well versed that those 3 teams stand by their own philosophy that works. Discipline,hard work,good coaching,scouting etc.

Quarterbacking sure. But I'm pretty sure it's well versed that those 3 teams stand by their own philosophy that works. Discipline,hard work,good coaching,scouting etc.

True, they all have (or had, in Indy's case) great systems in place. Just saying I wasn't really ready to make a point about salary cap & team building, necessarily, merely just throw that fact out and let others decide for themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing