Welcome to PatsFans.com

Record-High 55% of Americans “Financially Worse Off”

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Jun 3, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

this can't be true, I heard McCain say yesterday that things were going great.

"great progress economically"

Those were his exact words!

so we are fine, see!
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

For the last 2-3 years we've heard nothing but daily screaming and crying from the MSM about how bad it is everywhere--despite growth (slow though it is)...it's no wonder people feel badly.

It's okay. Next February can begin the major sudden and shocking rebound as The Prince saves us all.
  4. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

.....so you're saying that the US economy is going in the right direction and things are good? That it's only perception forced upon us by the MSM?
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not at all. You should know me better than that by now. What I said was that I don't believe it's as bad as the constant drumbeat, and that as soon as the election is over and Obama is president, instead of stories where growth numbers (small growth, but still growth) are buried or not reported, we'll find stories with headlines like "Surprising Growth!" and "Economy Rebounds". At least, that's what happened in 93, and there's no reason to think it won't happen again.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

They don't calculate unemployment the same way as they used to. For instance, they count all military personel as 'employed' when before they didn't. They count a person working part time, even thought they may want a full time job as 'employed' when before they didn't. I've read that the unemplyment in the united states is somewhere around 10% when the #s are not fudged.

I know these #s are old.....but since 2004 the war effort has gone up financially, there was the mortgage crisis, and gas is slightly more expensive....its probably worse that this.

http://www.thinkandask.com/news/jobs.html

The "official" unemployment rate in the United States is 5.5 percent (July 2004), a contradiction to the actual number of unemployed men and women in the United States, which stands at 16,265,736. The United States government only keeps you "unemployed" for six months, whether or not you find a job. The Labor Department (BLS) reports that an additional 300,000 workers fell out of the labor pool (an average monthly share throughout 2003.) Some 6,700,000 professionals have fallen off their unemployment benefits without finding a new job. Employers added no hope, creating only 32,000 jobs in July 2004.
    Those who have filed for unemployment, allow benefits to run the course without finding a job already know that when you call the unemployment office that one extra time...hoping to slip in one more $300 check request....the recording tells you that you are no longer listed as "unemployed."

This is a good economy however, according to the White House.

2003 Unemployment Rates by Country: U.S. rate includes those off unemployment benefits, which is how E.U. countries measure their true unemployment.

United States 9.7 percent
    France 9.6 percent
    Germany 9.3 percent
    European Union 8.8 percent
    Italy 8.5 percent
    Canada 7.6 percent
    Japan 5.2 percent
    United Kingdom 4.9 percent
  7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm not talking about employment figures, because I know guys like you will believe that the numbers are cooked, and I honestly don't know whether they are or not, or whether I even care if they are or not. I know there are a lot of help wanted signs out. I also know a lot of employers don't want to pay worth a crap--which is a whole 'nother issue, and one where illegal aliens creep in.

But I'm talking about financial indicators, things like the global economy and how strong it is, how the dollar, even though it's lost value, the good news is we're now in a position where US products are cheap enough that it begins having an effect on the trade deficit. I'm talking about the sheer amount of stupid money being spent in this country, on iPods and 52" flat screens and on and on....

Sure, things could be better, but they could be a lot worse too.

Did your read that article I posted for you on your profile page, btw?
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Uneployment is certainly an indicator of how the economy is going. Stupid money is an interesting term. Stupid money made people buy cars from Detroit, computers from Dell, software from Billy Gates, Rock and Roll music, DVDs from Hollywood, etc. Stupid money might be the foundation of the nation.

we as americans had an uncanny ability to be ahead of the consumer curve, ahead of the invention curve (google "airplane"...or "Model T"...or "electricity" etc). What exactly does america produce these days? Thats our problem. I see our future being clean energy, but the people creating policy now don't exactly see it that way. They want to buy and drill for more oil. Thats a shortsighted non visionary approach to the future that needs to stop.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

We can only hope and pray that our Good Lord The God Almighty will show our "new savior" the GOLDEN PRINCE HIS HIGHNESS BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA the way to lead us out of disparity and guide us all into the land of milk and honey, oh Jesus Lord my f-cking legs are tingling just at the thought of the Beautiful Face Of Our Holy King Barack.

THANK YOU LORD FOR THE WONDERFUL PRINCE BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA PRAISE JESUS PRAISE ALLAH, OH JESUS JESUS JESUS THANK YOU, GOD WILLING THE GREAT PRINCE OBAMA WILL RULE FOR ALL OF ETERNITY, OH I'M SO F-CKING EXCITED, I CAN'T GO ON, GOD BLESS BARACK GOD BLESS MICHELLE.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

you've gott admire the way those dudes got more money to break a contract than it took to sign them. Over and over and over again.......

Its a SWINDLE!!!!!!
  11. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

67% of the the corporations reported profits in Q1. of the 33% that didn't roughly half of them were banks. that means over 75% of the non financial companies reported positive earnings. gdp was .09% in Q1. that means we are still at least 4 months away from a recession. (assuming negative gdp in Q2). americans are financially worse for several reasons and the first is tied to mortgages. pulling money out to buy toys. anyone know people that did this? i know a ton. need that snowmobile? buy it with a home equity. many americans overextended themselves by buying homes they couldn't afford and toys they don't need. yes, there are sectors of the economy where people are really suffering but most the personal financial problems are tied directly to greed.

get a second job if things are bad. i have a wife and kid at home and work 55+ Mon - Fri. On the weekends I work at my rental property. Do I like my lifestyle? Not really. Am I making ends meet and saving money to boot? Every week. Are most Americans willing to work as hard as I do? I don't think so. We have become an entitlement society. As americans we are not entitled to a house, a nice car, a big tv, a vacation, but so many go out and buy that stuff and they really can't afford it. poor personal decisions and no personal responsibility added to a crappy work ethic leads to problems. is that the fault of our government?
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Rumsfeld is that you?
  13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'd agree with that. More people have more stuff now than ever but are "financially worse off" -well I wonder why ? Quit buying stuff, including houses, you can't afford just to impress your friends and family.

I do think the opinion people are worse off comes more from paper losses of property value than anything else.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I couldn't agree more.....was it you or RealWorld who stated

"If you can't afford it, don't buy it!"

?

If I could find a bank that would give me as much interest as a credit company would charge me, I'd be a bizillionaire.
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Stupid money is buying a 58" plasma when your old set is perfectly fine, and then complaining about the high price of gas or milk. That sort of thing.

And you and I agree on the energy thing, and Shmessy is in there as well...so we've got a majority already.
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Indeed. With a little help from an EX fiance (one of the reasons she's an ex) I got into a hell of a shyte hole with credit cards. It took a lot of work and effort and some bad words to get it paid off, but now I won't have a credit card in my wallet. There aren't enough people who pay attention to that. I know a guy, he decided he wanted to go away for a long weekend, but he's already way way overextended...so he went and signed up for a new credit card, and used that for his trip from NH to Montreal for 3-4 days. He got hurt and missed a couple of weeks of work...guess what kind of panic he's in now?
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I have not had a credit card since 2001.....best feeling ever!