Welcome to PatsFans.com

Record-High 50% of Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana Use

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 5 / -2

It's only a matter of time. Hopefully the oldest profession on the earth will follow.

[​IMG]

October 17, 2011

Liberals and those 18 to 29 most in favor; Americans 65 and older most opposed

by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ -- A record-high 50% of Americans now say the use of marijuana should be made legal, up from 46% last year. Forty-six percent say marijuana use should remain illegal.

2. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Makes too much sense RW wont ever happen!!!

Kidding aside, I have been of the thought that this should be an idea which should be passed for a multitude of reasons.

1. Reduces costs associated with charging, sending to trial, and imprisoning non violent "drug" offenders.
    2. Would be a nice new tax revenue stream for the govt.
    3. Would finally reduce penalties on marijuana use to a "punishment fits the crime" level.
    4. Why can we regulate alcohol and sell it to the of age masses, when this substance, which outside of the effects on the lungs, is far "safer" than booze? Just makes no sense.

The two common counter arguments (in my opinion) are crap anyway
    1. People who dont smoke pot dont smoke it because they dont like it, not because it is illegal (the old "if its legal, we will have a country of stone people driving cars, flying planes etc etc")
    2. If we can legalize booze and all the really negative side effects it has, why not pot? Cuz its a "drug" and "drugs are baaaaaaaaad. mmm-kay"?

If anyone hasn't seen the PBS special on prohibition I highly recommend it. Many of the pitfalls of that social experiment fit this discussion too, most notably by keeping it illegal, we spend mucho bucks and turn petty thieves into rich organized crime syndicates.
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

There was an article in the LA Times yesterday about a doctors' group coming out in favor of legalization -- even while questioning its medical value.

The "medical marijuana" law here in CA is quite a bit of a joke, though the outcome, at least, is a good one.

What was a bit dismaying in the article was the police group quoted opposing legalization. While I believe many police associations now have come out in favor of legalization, what was worrisome here was the supposed rationale: (i) that kids shouldn't be smoking pot and (ii) that driving under the influence of pot is bad. While both are certainly true, I don't think he realized that neither is much of an argument against legalizing pot use by adults (or maybe he does and doesn't care).
  4. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Chico, I hear the driving example thrown around quite a bit up here too. Then I simply ask "do we not have rules and consequences in place for people who break the rules related to drinking and driving?"

And wouldn't any pot legalization law have the typical 18/21 rule applied to it?

I do know this. I would rather be on the road with someone stoned out of their mind, than someone drunk or texting...7 days a week and twice on Sundays
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

JUST MORE PROOF that this country is half-baked.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +537 / 2 / -9

America Loves It's Drugs America Will Get It's Drugs Legal Or Not.

LEGALIZE ALL DRUGS LEGALIZE PROSTITUTION

EVERYBODYS DOING IT ANYWAY

FOOLS
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

The Value Voters do not want you to be getting high.. doubt if any of the Republican Presidential Candidates would support this effort... doubt if Obama would support legalization either.

So as much as we want it, never happen..

Reefer madness is gonna ruin this country.. oh the horrors!!!!
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

Well played sir.

But you have to admit, that is a high proportion of Americans.

God I hope they legalize that sh1t before I'm too old to use it for anything but cancer pain and glaucoma.
  10. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -6

#51 Jersey

GOD MADE POT MAN MADE BEER, WHO DO YOU TRUST? I use to smoke ALOT of pot and I think it is safer than alcohol. Legalizing it will actually make it HARDER for kids to get it. Drug dealers can care less how old you are as long as you have money. Marijuana can be used for more than just smoking it. You can use it to make rope, clothes, use it for oil, etc. I am all for legalizing it!
  11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

i c what u did there
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +879 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

There is so much irony in "RECORD-HIGH" ... where to begin ... [​IMG]
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

Finally something we can get bipartisan support for.

It is time for a joint initiative between the two major parties. It's just the common sens thing to do to solve a chronic shortage.
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

This is an only can happen in RI Story.. legislation was passed to allow distribution of medical marijuana for people deemed to have needed it, corporations were set up that complied with the stringent regulations of the state.. everything was set to go.

Then our ding dong, half baked trust fund governor Linc the dink Chaffee, was threatened by our federal prosecutor that if he allowed it.. they would arrest the distributors. So Linc the Dink gave in.. all the while in many states(16) there are medical marijuana laws in place, but not in RI instead of taking a stand they folded again.

Know a couple of people waiting for this to pass, however it does not stop them from using.. just makes it a little more difficult.

Linc the Dink needs to go to Target to see if he can buy a couple.. lord knows he needs them.
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +537 / 2 / -9

I like to eat peanut butter with my fingers while I'm sitting naked in front of my computer watching my "flying objects screen saver"

:bricks:
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah, man.

Just read in the local papers about a budding movement in the statehouse to fully legalize. Worried it might go up in smoke.

[​IMG]
  17. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Legalize... it's no worse than alcohol.

However, and I hate nanny-stating, I think if we do we need some way to separate vehicle from intoxicated driver... not sure how to do it. Breathalyzer starters?
  18. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Can you explain your point? If I follow correctly, IF pot became legal you would want some type of Breathalyzer starter to insure stoned people dont drive??

Interesting point (if I am following correctly). Going from personal life experience, I would say driving drunk (which drinking is currently legal, but there is no breathalyzer starter requirment) is far more dangerous (and thus would "require" said locked starter) than someone who just smoked a doobie.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

God also made foxglove - while man made digitalis. Foxglove will kill you in a heartbeat, digitalis keeps your heart beating. Mandrake and Nightshade will put you to sleep forever, Atrophine, used during a cardiac arrest, will wake you from the dead. Nightshade and Mandrake are God-given, Atrophine is man-made.

Yeah, just like it's hard for kids to get alcohol today. Or any number of prescription drugs used for recreational purposes.
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

I would also expect driving drunk to be far more common, unless smoking pot is then permitted in bars and other public places outside the home.

If DUI is suddenly such a concern, maybe the real answer is to illegalize outside the home. :)