Welcome to PatsFans.com

Recommendations for a new television?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

My 16-year-old Zenith has finally crapped out on me, so time to enter the realm of digital television. I'm definitely leaning toward LCD vs. plasma, unless there are compelling reasons to go plasma I haven't heard yet.

A local TV repairman said he recommends the Sharp Aquos. I'm thinking seriously about getting a Sony 32-inch Bravia LCD, model KDL-32XBR4. It lists for around $1,400 and I can get a new one from a dealer on eBay for $1,075.

I know there's a ton out there to choose from, but I don't have a lot of time to comparison shop other than checking various models/options online. Opinions, recommendations anyone? Thanks.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I just went through the same thing.

I ended up getting a 46" Sony (KDLV2500). I got it from :

http://www.onecall.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Ne=1061&N=227 1063#

which features superlative customer service, no shipping, no sales tax and they're an authorized dealer. The 32XBR4 is $1,131 today although their prices change.

Anyway, it really is best to look around in the stores. I preferred the LCD to Plasma as the Plasma has a fairly significant glare just like a regular TV whereas the LCD doesn't. I liked the Sony because the black edge was matte black not piano black so it had no shine to it.

I frequented this site :

http://www.highdefforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

where there's a huge amount of information.
  3. ironwasp

ironwasp Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I bought a 26 inch Samsung LCD about 18 months ago. It is utterly fantastic. I don't think there's a great deal to choose between Sharp/Samsung/Sony etc and so in the end went with a brand I trusted. (I had Samsung cellphones, laptops, refrigerators etc - all very good and reliable.)
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I was told early on that "the three Ss" (the ones you listed) are the top of the line for LCD; and Pioneer and Panasonic are for Plasma.
  5. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

LCDs and Plasmas all have some drawbacks - Basically from what I've read and heard from friends - up to 36", LCD is the way to go... 37" and above plasma is the most cost-effective

I have some question as to whether particular name brands are worth the several hundred dollars more one is going to pay - for example I've seen 36" LCDs for as low as $750 and as high as $1600. The picture quality that I've seen doesn't even seem to relate to the cost.

Yes - the $750 one might last only half as long, but if its half as much, it might be worth the risk, especially as prices drop and technology improves over time, by the time you might need a new TV if you go the cheap route, you might actually WANT a new TV anyway.

Additionally, I know with things like DVD players and VCRs, no matter what the name brand there were only 2 manufacturers of the important components, making name brands largely irrelevant and higher costs only associated with advertising budgets. I think it might be the same with LCD TVs and plasmas - i.e. all the brands get them from the same place.

I do know that in my case, rather than signing up for the 500 stations plus the HD converter that my cable company offers necessary to see HDTV - at a cost of about $100 plus a month, I'm more likely to watch HD movies more than anything else

But that comes with a note of caution as well, as in order to watch true HD quality, Blue Ray or HD format, takes a special DVD player - which can vary in expense, however the cable needed to go to the TV can be VERY expensive from what I'm told, so you think you're just going in for the cost of the TV, but when all is said and done, to use that new TV to its potential, you might find yourself shelling out another few hundred dollars.

One more reminder to anyone who isn't on cable or satellite dish with an older TV - come sometime in 2008, everything goes dark for you. Everything is converting to HD only - no more analog. Old TVs picking up signas over the air right now will be useless without cable or satellite.

While new TVs plus antennae can pick up HD signals over the air (which should be as pristine as with cable - you either get the signal or you don't, as its digital) everyone else will need a new TV or sign up for basic cable
  6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Thanks for the tip on Onecall, B-fan. I decided to give them a try on your recommendation. The price is a good one, and the fact they're an authorized dealer makes a big difference. Now, if the thing gets all the way here in one piece from Spokane, I'll be very pleased!

Thanks to everyone else as well for your learned input!
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The authorized dealer thing was a big deal for me too. It was a much better price than the places in town but I was worried about unauthorized dealers.

I had a 32" and a 46" shipped from them - admittedly I live closer than you but they were packed well and there was no issue whatsoever.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

The only issue I have with buying electronics on line is if comes in defective or poops the bed shortly thereafter, I like the convenience of being able to return stuff if it is not to my satisfaction. Shipping tv's all over the country does not work well for me.. with that being said, with my 2 year old 40" LCD Sony have never had a problem... seems as though everything I buy on Amazon or EBAY that has to do with electronics, has a problem.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

One Call is an authorized dealer for Sony and many others, the manufacturers warranty is in place.

Regarding shipping TVs all over the country, it's kind of a moot point - if you walk down to your local Best Buy in Boston it's not like it was manufactured there. It was already shipped from God knows where, likely from another country.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

I was referring to returns if it was a lemon or something like that.. not negating One Call.. but seems as though everything electronic I have bought on line has had some kind of problem, returning it and getting some type of satisfaction is often a trying experience. OTOH really like the option of just going back to a big box store and returning the item or exchanging it if it is defective.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I understand your point but with 3 new TVs from OneCall (my wife and I decided to just upgrade everything at once), my small sample size says not to worry about it.

As they're an authorized dealer, if there's a problem you just have to call them to get the closest local dealer to return it to if there's a problem.
  12. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

FYI, for those considering new TVs and such...

My bro bought a new house and bought two plasma TVs off the previous owners. The picture on plasma is really great, no doubt, but there is an image retention problem. So far, it's been temporary, but nonetheless, it's a pain in the ass. If you're watching the Sox for a few innings, and turn the channel to something with a lot of white, you'll see the ghost of the NESN banner at the top of the screen.

So, if you are in the market for plasma, keep in mind that it does require one to be cognizant of its issues with image retention (ie, you can't keep it on the same channel for too long). For some, it's probably not a big deal at all, but I found it a little bothersome. LCD doesn't seem to have that problem from what I've seen of them, and the picture is just as good, IMO.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

As a channel flipper, that'd be a serious problem for me.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The plasma burn in (so I've been told) is an issue for the first couple hundred hours - so you have to be careful not to continually have something with a logo, etc, in that period.

If you want 50" or bigger, though, Plasma is way more cost effective unless you're willing to go DLP and get about a foot in TV depth. That's why I settled for 46" so I could get LCD without the big price increase that you get with 50" LCD.
  15. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

Actually, if you flip compulsively, then I think you're OK. It's when one image stays on screen for too long that you're in trouble, ie, if you watch the Sox for 9 straight innings, no changing channels, the NESN banner may be retained.

Also, there's image burning and there's image retention. Burning is permanent, retention is temporary. I've only experienced the latter thus far watching my brother's TV.
  16. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Me, I'd recommend buying a color TV. Go for it!
  17. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Color's for wussies, I'm going old school. ;)