Welcome to PatsFans.com

Recommend 10 Songs

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Pats Fanatic, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Pats Fanatic

Pats Fanatic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -3

#54 Jersey

Some ground rules:
    1) Each song has to be from a different artist.
    2) You MUST give a reason for each song. Short and sweet.
    I'll start
    Seeing that I am a Tull fanatic I have to start with Budapest an underrated later Tull song.
    Let The Day Begin by The Call a love starting the day with this song.
    Fire on High great instrumental by ELO.
    Starship Trooper classic Yes, I love progressive rock.
    Just Between You And Me by April Wine one me and my wife love playing.
    Romeo's Theme by Steve Forbert its the romantic in me.
    Subdivisions by Rush a song that always takes me back to my first year of college.
    FM by Steely Dan great song, great band not a bad movie.
    Better Things by the Kinks a song I like to play if I'm down.
    I Love You by The Climax Blues Band the song from my wedding.

2. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Nice - may I suggest a rule? The song's have to be the same genra or band.
    Here is a list of my favorite KsE Song's.

1.) Killswitch Engage - "For You"

• Album: As Daylight Dies
      Description (Why I chose it): This is such a freaking rock hard song. It makes me want to jump around and be a fool. Amazing.
    2.) Killswitch Engage - "My Last Serenade"

• Album: Alive or just Breathing
      Description (Why I chose it): Classic KsE song. Awsome lyrics (Deep, powerful) ... great melody, and hard rocking.
    3.) Killswitch Engage - "The End Of Heartache"

• Album: The End Of Heartache
      Description (Why I chose it): Barely any screaming - great lyrics. Howard Jones makes this song his, and show's why KsE switched their singers.
    4.) Killswitch Engage - "Still Beats My Name"

• Album: As Daylight Dies
      Description (Why I chose it): Raw vocals, loud and fast. Cool random guitar slides - with high pitched chorus. Makes use of both singing and screaming.
    5.) Killswitch Engage - "Irreversal (Remake)"

• Album: The End Of Heartache (Bonus CD)
      Description (Why I chose it): Howard Jones does this one better then Jessie Lynch in my opinion - slowed down a bit, but still hard. The drums are sweet in this one.
    6.) Killswitch Engage - "Soilburn"

• Album: Killswitch Engage
      Description (Why I chose it): Cool guitars; Jessie shows all of his emotiona singing this one.
    7.) Killswitch Engage - "Daylight Dies"

• Album: Daylight Dies
      Description (Why I chose it): Cool opening. Awsome guitars. The breakdown is the best I'v ever heard in a song - all effects are taken off of the screaming and he just belts it. Guitar's and bass make this song what it is.
    8.) Killswitch Engage - "Rusted Embrace"

• Album: Killswitch Engage
      Description (Why I chose it): Now THIS is a cool song. You have to listen to it - the guitars are so awsome... I love the opening 8 notes. :p. Lyrics are awsome.
    9.) Killswitch Engage - "Life To Lifeless"

• Album: Alive or just Breathing
      Description (Why I chose it): This song is so raunchy - barely shows any musicianship - but when you listen to it closer, it is orchestrated perfectly.
    10.) Killswitch Engage - "Breathe Life"

• Album: The End Of Heartache
      Description (Why I chose it): This is just classic KsE. Possibly their best song, AWSOME guitars. The small pre-chorus "NOW WE ARE DIEING..." Is quite possibly the coolest pre-chorus ever created. This is'nt my favorite of the KsE songs but it is for most people.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read that one of the rules had to be the songs are from a different artist, so sorry.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Hmmmm. Toughie.

Iron Maiden - Hallowed be Thy Name. Best song ever.

Dream Theater - Octavarium. Nursery rhyme softness to Master of Puppets Heaviness, all in one song.

Therion - To Mega Therion. Choir vocals, death vocals, great melodies, all mixed together.

Elton John - Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. My favorite Elton song and that's saying a lot. His most adventurous song musically.

Barry Manilow - Not What You See. Great song, fantastic singing and spellbinding lyrics. Everyone should give this a try even if you hate Barry.

Yes - Heart of the Sunrise. Tough to pick just one Yes song but this is Jon Anderson at his finest.

Meatload - Surf's Up. The Meat sails through a very hard song to sing like a corvette accelerating up a hill.

Iced Earth - The Something Wicked Trilogy. Matt Barlow singing "I Am Your Anti-Christ, I Will Destroy Mankind" might be the most powerfully sung two lines in metal I've heard.

Rush - Time Stand Still. Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics. I like to play this one after Patriots' Super Bowl wins.

Guns n' Roses - Estranged. I love their hits but this epic is probably my favorite of theirs.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Only 10 is hard for me. There's so many great artists I didn't include. But, I chose these and linked a short clip for each one.

The Shins - Kissing The Lipless
    I discovered this band about 4 years ago and always seem to have a mixed Shins CD in my car's CD player.
    Kissing The Lipless

Fountains Of Wayne - Red Dragon Tattoo
    Saw this band at The Paradise (in Boston) in 1999. I went with a several friends. We hired a van to drive us there. We partied before leaving. Partied all the way there. I met a girl while the first band was on and we talked in the upper section for about an hour. She was traveling cross country and it was very interesting but, I digress. My friends and I got right up to the front of the stage before FOW came on and as soon as they hit the stage the whole place was bouncin' and groovin'. I've seen them several times live since then and we even met them one time but, something about that first show and that whole night. Just a great memory.
    Red Dragon Tattoo

Kate Bush - Night Of The Swallow
    I've been a Kate fan since 1978 when I saw her on SNL. She sat on Paul Schaffer's piano and sang The Man With The Child In His Eyes. If I had to pick one album to listen to forever it would be Hounds of Love. I can listen to all of side 2 any time. But, if I were going to pick one single KB song it would Night Of The Swallow. I still remember the first time I heard this album. I had just bought it (On cassette lol) and was working part time in plant's maintenance dept. I listened to it on my Walkman while painting a boiler room floor and was blown away.
    Night Of The Swallow

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Riviera Paradise
    I think I've told this story before here but, I saw SRV on the exact 20th Anniversary of Woodstock at small outdoor concert on a lake. He performed this live and as he hit one long note on his famous guitar a slight thunder, as if on cue, rumbled off in the distance. I was there with my friends Lou and Tracy and its something we'll never forget.
    Riviera Paradise

Paul Weller - Above The Clouds
    I've been a fan of The Jam and Paul Weller since the 80s. Some friends of mine were fortunate enough to have seen The Jam at The Orpheum (In Boston) in 1982. I missed that show. But, I finally got to see Weller perform when he performed at The Berklee Performing Arts theater. If you've never been it's the most incredible place to see a concert. It's perfectly acoustically built. Even the fire extinguishers have acoustic covers on them. Paul did a one man acoustic show that bordered on spiritual. This is one song he performed that night.
    Above The Clouds

Pink Floyd - Hey You
    I graduated from the 8th grade and of course started high school in 1979. The same year The Wall came out. This album was the background of my entire high school years. I can still remember hearing the numbing guitar work of Gilmour while drinking my first beers with friends. Later getting high to the delights of PF.
    Hey You

U2- The Refugee
    I had to include a U2 song. I have a lot of great old memories around War. I choose this one. I saw U2 only once. 10th row at The Centrum (In Worcester MA) on the Unforgettable Fire tour.
    The Refugee

Donald Fagen - New Frontier
    This album reminds me of my college years and my new friends that I made at that time. The things we did. The huge parties we had. The radio station that we hung out at and that I eventually became General Manger of. 20 years later and I'm still close friends with most of them. I'm the godfather to one of them's daughter. I love Steely Dan and have seen Fagen and company perform many times. In Boston, Providence, Mansfield and Las Vegas. Just love all his work.
    New Frontier

Peter Gabriel - Lay Your Hands On Me
    The more I thought about it the more it bothered me that I didn't include Peter Gabriel. I saw him live for the first time in the late 80s. He performed Lay Your Hands On Me and did something no one had done before. He fell back into the audience and body surfed around in a sort of crucified pose as the band continued to play Lay Your Hands On Me. The term body surfing didn't even exist then. It was an incredible show up to that point but, the crowd just went wild after that. I've seen him a half dozen times since then and he never did that again. But, he still puts on the best concerts of any artist.
    See the concert footage here. Lay Your Hands On Me

Jim Morrison / Doors- An American Prayer
    This is almost a cheat since there is no one song you can pick out from this album. It's a complete work that must be listened to as a whole. Even more so then any Pink Floyd album. But, this album has meant a lot to me for over 20 years and just had to include something from it.
    An American Prayer

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  5. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

1.) 311 - "Creatures For A While"

• Album: Greatest Hit's
      Description (Why I chose it): This song is so cool. The guitars, progression, drums, singing... it is all mixed to perfection.
    2.) Sonata Arctica - "Broken"

• Album: Winterhearts Guild
      Description (Why I chose it): The drum's mixed with the perfect guitars make this song what it is. Backed up by keyboards and odd lyrics make this song a different type of sound, but great none-the-less.
    3.) Dragonforce - "Storming The Burning Fields"

• Album: Inhuman Rampage
      Description (Why I chose it): Jesus H Christ ... this song is so fast - with no screaming. I am amazed every time I hear a DF song.
    4.) Delain - "Frozen"

• Album: Lucidity
      Description (Why I chose it): This is one of my favorite songs, and this band is relatively new. The guitar's mixed with the orchestra makes this really cool. Female vocals make it powerful to listen to.
    5.) Nightwish - "Nemo"

• Album: Once
      Description (Why I chose it): Femal vocals again make this one what it is. The verses are basically keyboards with bass and drums. Cool pianos and awsome breakdowns.
    6.) Within Temptation - "Angels"

• Album: Mother Earth
      Description (Why I chose it): This song is powerful. Every time I listen to it I get the chills. This lady can BELT a song - yes, another female vocals songs. I LOVE how they use the orchestra and backing vocals.
    7.) Blink 182 - "Anthem"

• Album: Enema Of The State
      Description (Why I chose it): I do not care who you are, this is a freaking cool song. Fast (staying true to what Blink 182 wanted to do) College-esk lyrics... cool guitars. Opening and inserts are especially cool.
    8.) DJ Shadow w/ Mos Def - "Six Minutes"

• Album: Tokyo Drift (Fast & The Furious)
      Description (Why I chose it): Another classic DJ shadow mix. Mos Def makes this song pretty cool himself. The breakbeat is simply amazing.
    9.) Dream Theater - "Home"

• Album: Scenes From A Memory
      Description (Why I chose it): Cool guitars, classic DT song. Sounds almost arabic - reminds me of a "Ra" song.
    10.) Fear Factory - "Invisible Wounds"

• Album: Resident Evil
      Description (Why I chose it): There is not much I can say about this song, it speaks for itself. I don't know where to begin on how well constructed this one is.

EDIT: That is better, different artists :p

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  6. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Bring the Noise by Anthrax/Public Enemy. It is a fantastic, aggressive, fusion of two very different styles of music with a nice sprinking of humour

Creeping Death, covered by Apocalyptica. Four Cellists play metal and I think it is bloody awesome!

Whole Lotta Rosie, covered by Hayseed Dixie. A bluegrass band covers an AC/DC track and does a great job.

Made of Stone by the Stone Roses. A band from my hometown, Manchester, belt out a rousing tune from the height of Manchester's musical supremacy.

All my Little Words by the Magnetic Fields. A beautiful love song, done with great lightness of touch. Be warned that it is not for the homophobic amongst you.

Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden. Like BF, I am a big Maiden fan. They were my first metal "love" and this was my introduction to them.
    Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin . Simple, rousing, uplifting. ROCK N ROLL. :rocker:

Temples of Syrinx from Rush's 2112. There is only one drummer, IMVHO, who rivals Neil Peart for sheer brilliance. His name is John Bonham (RIP) and he played for the previous band.

King of the Swingers from the Jungle Book. I wanna walk like you and talk like you. Nuff said! :D

Snoopy v the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsmen.

My list needs a little levity and the last two songs are it.

7. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -1

1. "We Will Not Be Lovers" -- The Waterboys.
    From their Strange Boat Album. The fiddle on it moves and soars.

2. "Rockin' in the Free World" -- Neil Young.
    From Freedom. Makes me laugh.

3. "Blister in the Sun" -- Violent Femmes.
    From Violent Femmes (debut album). Toe-tapper. Song pops in my head
    when I'm at the beach.

4. "Dear God" -- XTC.
    From Dear God. Not their best song but means the most to me.

5. "The Street Parade" -- The Clash
    From Sandinista! The song was lost in with dubbed versions and other
    songs of lesser quality but said it all....musically, it's a street parade.

6. "Sitting Still" -- REM
    From Murmur. Reminds me of my first girlfriend....

7. "Save it for Later" -- The English Beat.
    From Special Beat Service. You'd have to hear it live with room to dance
    about to know why it's on me list.

8. "The High Road" -- The Feelies.
    From The Good Earth. Great, great album to take on road trips....best
    song on the album....maybe.

9. "Alex Chilton" -- The Replacements.
    From Pleased to Meet Me. Ok, Ok, not from their drunken, better days
    but it celebrates another great band, Big Star.

10. "KKK Took My Baby Away" -- The Ramones.
    From Pleasant Dreams. 1-2-3-4....hilarious and fun.

All my of my Top Ten are pre-1992. Lack any hard metal songs though some would be in my top 20. Makes me old I guess. Song #11 would be "Under Pressure" by Queen/Bowie.

8. amstel54

amstel54 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1. Alice In Chains ~ Junkhead - Powerful song about drug use coming from someone who knows all about it.

2. Metallica ~ To live is to die - Great instrumental (minus a few lines at the end of the song)

3. Taproot ~ Again & Again - Can definetly relate with the lyrics

4. Deftones ~ 7 Words - This aggressive song has a relaxing affect on me :)

5. Led Zeppelin ~ Tangerine - Nice mellow acoustic type song

6. Testament ~ Return to serenity - The title of the song says it all

7. Corrosion of conformity ~ Albatross - Grungy rock song great for cruising in the car

8. Sheer Terror ~ 3 Year b*tch - I couldn't think of a better song to listen to if you just got dumped by some chick

9. Tree ~ Try - Song about giving it your all in life. Kind of song you'd want playing at your funeral (minus the extremely heavy part at the end of the song which would probably freak out your friends and family :eek: )

10. Clutch ~ A Shogun named Marcus - Fast paced crunchy song with fun lyrics

9. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

Ah - three artists, if not songs themselves that would well be in contention for my list.

Fagen's Kamikiriad is another great top to bottom album.

American Prayer -as you said, might as well be considered one song.

Riveria Paradise is a masterpiece

I'll give thought to my list

10. chunkypony

chunkypony Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1. Arcade Fire - "Neighborhood #1 - Tunnels": a lot of people I talk to say this may be the best song in the past 3 years. I disagree, but it is still a good song.

2. Ben Folds Five - "Jackson Cannery": off the first album of one of my favorite artist's first band. Great piano work.

3. Ben Lee - "No Right Angles": an up and comer, great song with a great melody.

4. Bruce Springsteen - "It's Hard To Be A Saint in The City": If you haven't heard this song, go download it now. My favorite song by my favorite artist.

5. Damone - "Out Here All Night": The first single off their second album. Pure hard rock, with driving guitar.

6. Jenny Lewis With the Watson Twins - "Handle With Care": A cover of the Traveling Wilburys classic; great vocals.

7. The Killers - "Bones": This band gets a lot of flack, but I think this song is awwwesome.

8. The Mountain Goats - "This Year": Probably one of this band's most well known songs, just the tip of the iceberg on a great musical catalog.

9. Rilo Kiley - "Spectacular Views": Great guitar work, plus great lyrics. Especially when the lead singer screams "F*CKING"

10. The Strokes - "Heart In A Cage": Another song with a driving guitar; this song really kicks a*s.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  11. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Haha - I can see you used the sig I made :D :D

12. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This will change around a week from now... as I CONSTANTLY force myself to listen to new music (Why am I NOT a super-producer... I have NO idea...)

1. the Cure - Same Deep Water As You. The best melancholic song in the world today. You find me a better one... and I will bow down asap.

2. the Sisters of Mercy - Lucretia My Reflection. Bar-none, the best song imo..

3. Nine Inch Nails - Sin. Why this song isn't Trent's biggest hit, is way beyond me...

4. Iron Maiden - Killers. No explanation required...

5. Over Kill - Wrecking Crew. Thrash at it's BEST...

6. Slayer - Angel of Death. Just listen 2 it...

7. Death Angel - Kill As One. Any thrash fan would agree...

8. Dream Theater - Space Dyed Vest. Easily their best effort imo...

9. Motley Crue - Danger. One of their ONLY good songs.

10. Heathen - Victum of Fate. Duh...

...I could add so many others, but I won't ;-)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  13. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

Took me awhile to get around to this... I can't limit myself to songs, really artists - too many songs to choose from

In no particular order - my recommendations are based in part in hoping that I turn some people on to some new music they'd not otherwise know of.

Robbie Robertson/Rick Danko - "It Makes No Difference" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qZT3kdxI4

From the Last Waltz - the star studded Martin Scorcese must see movie for any fan of classic 70s rock - Robertson and Clapton have a guitar duel later in the movie - Roberston wins - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hmbLJL6XIk

Santana - Soul Sacrifice (from Woodstock)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

If I were recommending one song it might be "Treat" - but this was Santana's coming out party at Woodstock. No one really knew who they were - after this everyone did. Drummer Mickaël Shrieve was only 19.

Robben Ford

Three songs live, starting with the Butterfield Blues Band "Lovin Cup"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdZl3joA34

If you a blues or jazz fan - or both, you'll want to check out Robben Ford. Has all the technical prowess plus soul.

Maceo Parker - Shake Everything You Got
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5mKFnc8X04

James Brown saxman Maceo rocks - "Live on Planet Groove" is a surefire favorite album. Kickin drum solo in the song on the album too

String Cheese Incident
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCODxHMwuEo
    Not my favorite SCI song (Black & White) but its one of the better quality Youtube vids (from austin city limits)

Mr. Blotto - this is the only non- youtube link I'm posting here for their original "Sail away virginia" -
    http://www.hounddog.tv/artists/mrblotto/sailaway.rm
    Also - a Baba O'Reily clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfe9LBs0oKc&mode=related&search=

No one knows about this band but John Barlow, the lyricist for the Grateful Dead is now working with them and they just released an album that he did all the lyrics for.

That's six -its late - I owe you all four more

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Iced Earth - The Coming Curse. Part 3 of The Something Wicked Trilogy. Amazing stuff.

Shadow Gallery - Crystalline Dream. Great band, possibly the best chorus they've ever done. Super sounding, more song oriented Dream Theater.

Shaaman - Fairytale. One of the most powerfully sung ballads ever.

Therion - Eye of Shiva. The classical influences come out in full force in this great track.

Skid Row - Get the F*ck Out. Just a nice, fun track.

Barry Manilow - Weekend in New England. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Icon - Rubicon. Wetton/Downes from Asia are back in style.

Faith No More - Ugly in the Morning. "Don't Look at Me, I'm Ugly in the Morning". Need I say more ?

Highlord - Perpetual Fury. Great power and melody, the band has really gone down since then though.

Iron Maiden - For the Greater Good of God. Best track from the boys in a long, long time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Sigh. You Kevin Moore lover you. It's a good track but their best ever ? :confused:

16. ironwasp

ironwasp Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Music doesn’t play a hugely important role in my life, but if the mood takes me I can get into it, although I must admit I use it mostly as a nostalgia tool.

The Beautiful South – Old Red Eyes is Back; reminds me one particularly great summer

Deacon Blue – Wages Day; Pure, unbridled (if misguided) optimism, and a reminder of very happy days at school

Blair – Have Fun, Go Mad; not a great song, but the closest my wife and I have to having an “our song”

Fountains of Wayne – All Kinds of Time; After the Pats’ opening night victory over the Colts in 2004, Sky Sports put this tune to a montage of shots of Tom Brady in the game; I so wish I had it on tape.

Wheatus – London Sun; Just love this tune.

The Police – Every Little Thing She Does is Magic; I once pulled a great looking girl in a bar in Milwaukee simply because this was the first record both of us ever bought. Just bought tickets to see The Police in concert in London in September. Massively excited.

Keane – Hamburg Song; great song-writing

Kirsty MacColl – A new England; love her voice, and it’s great here. Sadly missed.

The Waterboys – Fisherman’s Blues; something in my Irish heritage draws me to this

David Bowie – Modern Love; first album ever bought. Still does it for me now.

17. tuckeverlasting

tuckeverlasting 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

i did mine a little different. i took artists already posted and used my favorite songs from them.

english beat - i confess, same album as save it for later
    jenny lewis and the watson twins - rise up with fists
    david bowie - cat people, same album as modern love
    arcade fire - rebellion (lies)
    violent femmes - gone daddy gone
    neil young - i am a child
    the cure - love cats
    the police - don't stand so close to me
    led zeppelin - in the evening
    stone roses - i wanna be adored

i was going to do elton john but "funeral for a friend" is his best song.