Welcome to PatsFans.com

Recipies

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by fleabassist1, Jan 9, 2007.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Recipies!

I'll go first - being the creater of this thread. :p

Carcus Soup - Ever have rotisery chicken one night and then your stuck with the carcus? I am currently making this for dinner (for the family of course).

Let me start off by saying I am in no way a cook - however I like cooking. I don't know the cooking terms, or the names of the appliances even - so cut me some slack, eh?

Ingredients:

• 1 Chicken Carcus (With some meat on it still.)
      3 - 4x Carrots - as many as you want, but the more you use - the less chickeny it gets. (Not those short stubby ones, the bigger ones that you can slice up)
      1x Onion
      1x Celery (Same with carrots - as many as you want yadda yadda.)
      Garlic

1. Put a big pot of water on the stove - boil.
    2. After water boils, put the chicken carcus in the water - excess chicken and all.
    3. Cut up onions / carrots / celery. As soon as your done, add the celery only! Save carrots/onions for later. Add garlic.
    4. Let the carcus/water/celery sit for about an hour and a half - or until the water looks brothy - brownish. Add salt and pepper to your hearts disire.
    5. After the water looks nice and yummy, dump into a strainer. *Note, the strainer is set above another pot (So you save your water!)*. Take the carcus with whatever chicken you get (in the strainer) and use a fork to push the chicken off of the carcus. Throw the bones away, and add the chicken to the soup.
    6. Add carrots/onion - put back on oven at a low temperature.
    *Note - if you have extra chicken, now is the time to cut it up and add it to the soup (IF you want more chickenychunk soup).
    7. Let it sit on the oven at low as long as you like - the longer it sits, the better it tastes. MAke sure it sits on low!
    8. Serve and enjoy.

I may of forgotten stuff in this explination - if so, just ask :p ...

hey, post your recipies - I would love to learn them to possibly make my own types of food. I also have a few more i'll add later.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  2. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

Sticky Please
  3. Nikki

Nikki Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That soup actually sounds good. Do you think it would be possible to add some minute rice towards the end of cooking to make it a chicken & rice soup?
  4. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Sure, I think that is fine - We make some Angel Hair Pasta and poor the chickensoup ontop of the A.H. Pasta - it's pretty good.
  5. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

Gin or Vodka Gimlet:

Ingredients: Gin or Vodka (trust your favorite brand), Rose's Lime Juice, Lime wedge, Martini glass (any shape will do), metal shaker, sugar (see options).

Directions: Pour 2oz of Gin (my preference) with ice into a shaker. Add 1oz (my preference) or 1/2oz of Rose's Lime juice. Shake thusly. Pour gin/juice mix sans ice into glass. Add lime wedge. Drink 1 or more to taste.

Options: Rim glass with sugar prior to mixing drink. This will cut the acidity of the lime juice. I recommend this if drinking 2 or more.
  6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Three Pepper Salad:

• Get 1-2 (Depending on how big you want it, 2 = massive... 1=large) of:
      Red Pepper(s)
      Yellow Pepper(s)
      Orange Pepper(s)

• Portebella Mushrooms (About half as much as your peppers - if you get one each of Red/Yellow/Orange, then 1.5 mushrooms is good, etc.)

• 1 part Red Vinager, 1 Part Olive Oil, Salt+Pepper, Block of Mozerella Cheese.

Directions:
    1. Slice up all the peppers into hearty chunks. Take The Mozerella cheese block - cut into smaller chunks. Mix well in a bowl. Add Salt+Pepper.

2. Mix the vinager and oil in a small bowl thoroughly - add some salt and pepper and mix it in.

3. Add mushrooms and mix together thoroughly.

4. Don't add the vinager/oil until just before serving (Otherwise It will just fall to the bottom of your bowl.) Before you add it, you may wanna mix it up again since oil is less dense then vinager and it floats ontop of the vinager.

5. Enjoy :p

Another variation of this is to add a cut up onion and mix the peppers / onion in a pan with some olive oil (just a little), add garlic/pepper/salt. After they are nice and cooked up(on a stovetop), add the mushrooms and cook for a bit until its nice and mushy. You can put it ontop of your chicken, or ontop of rice. I like to make bunchies of this stuff and just put it on everything.

Yet another version of this- put the peppers onto a grill before cutting them up. After that, cut them into the size you would for tomatos on a hamburger - and then put them on whatever you wish. Grilled peppers = yummy. You can also grirll them first, then make the salad - add some salsa for a zing. You can also put this all ontop of lettuce - its so versitile :p
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Some Dip Ideas:

Every year, we have a superbowl party - and I am usually in charge of the dips.

1. French Onion Soup Mix + Sour Cream
    2. Velveta Cheese + Salsa
    3. Velveta Cheese + Cooked Taco Meat

Give me some more ideas :p
  8. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

This isn't a recipe as much as it is a method of cooking but, it's something I love to cook and it is better than any I have had in even the most expensive restaurants.

Start with a 3/4" to 1" thick steak (Top Loin, T-Bone, Porterhouse)
    Preheat oven to 500º F.
    Heat Castiron skillet on high.
    Pour a little Peanut Oil (has a high smoke rate) on the steak and spread it around on both sides.
    Sprinkle both sides with Kosher salt
    Sear the steak, in the hot skillet, for 30 seconds on both sides.
    Then place in oven and cook for approximately 3-5 minutes on each side or until internal temp reaches 160º F. Use an instant read thermometer.
    Place a saucer on a plate and place steak on saucer (to let water drain off without breaking down the caramelized crust on the steak) and cover with foil. Let stand for 3 minutes to let the temp lower and the moisture to redistribute through the steak.
    Then Bon Appetite.

1 caveat this will smoke a lot. So you need a good exhaust fan and hopefully no smoke detectors too close to your stove.
    You can use the same method on a grill. Just get the grill up to 500º F or as hot as possible.
  9. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Mmm - Sounds very tasty.
    How about this one for you bannana lovers (My grandma taught me this one, which I modified)

Bannana Popper's

Ingredients:

• Maple Syrup
      Sugar + Cinnamin
      Bannana's (Duh :p)
      Sweet Bread Doah

How to make it:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 or so.
    2. Mix Syrup, Sugar, and Cinnamin in a bowl.
    3. Cut the bannana's into relatively small slices (Think the size you put in your cereal.)
    4. Take your bread doah and form/cut it into into small pouches big enough to put 1 or 2 bannana chunks into it.
    5. Place a slice of bannana into the Sugar mix, then place it in the center of one of your cut out sweet doah pouches.
    6. Take the four corners and pull them up and over the bannana (Forming the "Pouch") ... then twist. It should look similar to a hershy kiss.
    7. Put them on a pan (I guess spray with butter or oil, I never do though.)
    8. Put some sugar and cinnamin on top (But not the syrup)
    9. Bake until they are golden brown.
    10. Dip into your excess syrup!
    11. Go to the dentist. :p
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  10. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

I used to cook a lot but haven't done so much recently -- and hardly at all here in the U.S.

Here's a very easy recipe where quantities don't matter, you don't have to worry about chopping things small -- or anything very much. All that's important is that you have the right kind of pan -- a big frying pan that you can put under the grill or, better still, a saute pan (like a frying pan, a little deeper and without the wooden/plastic handle) -- and a good overhead grill.

Spanish Omelette

First, take some potatoes and boil them till they are nearly cooked. While they are cooking take a few chopped onions, some garlic and some bacon and start to fry it in olive oil in your big pan. You don't need to get it dark brown or anything, although some people prefer it that way. Next add some peppers (red, green, yellow -- doesn't matter) and stew them until they're soft. Next add any other vegetables you fancy that will cook pretty quickly. I generally use tomatoes and mushrooms. If you had any left-over cooked vegetables (carrots, broccoli, sweetcorn, etc.) you could use them. Keep stirring. By this time your potatoes should be ready.
    Slice or chop them to whatever size you like and add them to the pan. You could also add some herbs if you have them. I generally use oregano but use rosemary, thyme or whatever you have handy. Your pan should be looking pretty full but not be overflowing.

Now comes the only bit of the dish where it's at all important not to be completely sloppy. Beat some eggs (depends on the size of your pan and the size of your appetite, but six would be a good starting point) and add them to the pan, turning the heat up high. Don't stir but wait for the eggs on the bottom of the pan to start to set (shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes). Light the grill and get it hot. Then take the pan and put it under the grill until the eggs set and the top goes golden brown (I don't like to make it too dark leathery; but the Spaniards do!)

This is a wonderful dish because (a) it is delicious (b) it is very easy to make. It takes a while to do it, though there is very little concentration, but, if you like, you can do everything up until the time that the eggs go in in advance. Then just get it hot and add the eggs and you have a meal in five minutes. I generally just serve it with a green salad. On the rare occasions that there has been any left over, it is very nice to eat cold.

I've cooked this for both men and women. Women like it because it shows that you are a sensitive person whose idea of nutrition is not just beer and burgers. Men like it because it goes incredibly well with any really nice bottle of red wine you care to offer. (The best women like it for both reasons. :) )
  11. Nikki

Nikki Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Mmmmmmmmm, I love steak!

I acutally work in a catering office and spend my day writing menus, looking up recipes, and planning parties.

Too bad I don't like to cook! LOL!!
  12. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Oh man... I LOVE to cook - I'm always looking for new recipies - and I always try to experiment and make my own.
  13. Chargerfan21

Chargerfan21 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Recipes...... Not recipies.
  14. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Thanks! I can't spell work sh1t.
  15. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here are a couple of good game-day recipes off the top of my head:

Pumpkin dip (great in the fall):

Mix one can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix), 1 c sugar, 1 8 oz brick of cream cheese. Serve with gingersnaps. SOOO Yummy, if you have a pumpkin sweet tooth.

Buffalo chicken dip:

1 can shredded chicken
    1 c hot sauce (can adjust more or less to your heat requirements)
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    1 c ranch dressing
    1 c shredded cheddar

Mix all ingredients together in a small casserole dish and bake at 350 for 20 min. Sprinkle leftover shredded cheddar from package on top, cover with foil and bake until cheese has melted on top.

Serve with fritos, tortilla chips or celery sticks.

I love to cook, and I'm pretty durn good at it, too!
  16. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

mmmm... mm.. mmmmmm those both sound pretty good.

Grandma's Corn Fritters (A-MAZ-ING!)
    INGREDIENTS:

* 2 cups flour
    * 1 tablespoon baking powder
    * 1/2 tsp. salt
    * 1/4 cup sugar
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 1 cup milk
    * 1/4 cup melted butter
    * 1 can whole kernel corn, drained (or about 1 1/2 cups frozen, thawed or fresh)
    * powdered sugar or syrup

PREPARATION:
    Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Combine eggs, milk and butter. Fold in dry ingredients [add more or less flour - enough to bind batter]; add corn last. Drop by tablespoons into hot vegetable oil and deep fry about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or serve with syrup. Serve corn fritters warm.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  17. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Pudding Pie

Ingredients:

• Chocolete Pudding
      Cool Whip
      Hershey Chocolete Bar
      Caramel
      Pie Crust (I like to make my own, but you can buy pre-made ones at the store.)

Directions:

1. Poor your chocolete pudding into the pie crust - enough to have a flat surface.
    2. Put Cool whip on top.
    3. Using a grader, grade the hershey chocolete bar ontop of the cool whip.
    4. Heat up the caramel, then (Using a spoon or something) Drop some caramel on top of it all, in a zig zag pattern.
    5. Freeze.
    6. Enjoy.:p
  18. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Good sticky!

I'll have to see if I can document some of my recipes... I do pretty much everything from memory, by feel - not much for using recipes - most are pretty simple anyway

For example:

Butternut Squash Bisque:

Cook (boil, or preferably roast) squash (any kind really... pumpkins work well too) until soft.

Scoop out of skin and handblend/puree until smooth, adding vegetable stock or broth to achieve desired bisque consistency.

Add salt and pepper to taste, and an optional bit of cream just before serving. Sour cream on top makes for a nice garnish, which will also add to the flavor.

Simple recipe but you'll get raves for the rich pure taste.

If you like curry, add a teaspoon or so to make it a Pumpkin/Squash Curried Bisque.

Other good recipes in my repetoire include:

Tarragon Chicken (mainly floured chicken, braised, then placed in a wine/cream mixture with fresh or dried tarragon mixed in, served over Jasmine Rice)

Homemade Whole Wheat Flour Pizza Dough (good for freezing, so you always have the makings of homemade fresh pizza)

A quick Hummus Recipe (1 can chick peas, tablespoon of Tahini, few cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, other spices ("Spike" is an excellent mixture for a lot of vegetarian cuisine) lemon juice - blend in food processor, and add water to desired consistency

... adding a thin layer of pesto on top of hummus gives it a nice twist as well

Those are a few of my recent dinners...

Generally I pride myself on making a gourmet dinner with whatever happens to be in the house, so its a new recipe every time.
  19. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Oh - on deserts... here's a great one

Its a chocolate mouse pie made with tofu believe it or not (no one will believe you)

One "box" of firm tofu (the stuff you can buy in the supermarkets in the boxes) 3/4ths a package of semi sweet or milk chocolate chips.

Melt Chips. Add to tofu in food processor. Blend. Put in graham cracker pie crust. Chill.

Let people eat it and rave, then tell them its tofu.
  20. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok, not to make this too technical or time consuming, here's a great way to make mini Athenian pizzas. These make an excellent tailgate or half time food, or good for either appetizers or as dinner, depending on the serving size.

Ingredients:

Italian, French, or Pizza Dough, risen. Make your own or buy the stuff from the bakery, frozen and raw.

Sun Dried Tomatoes, marinated in olive oil and herbs. These can be found in the international section of the supermarket, jarred.

Pitted Kalamata Olives.

Feta Cheeze.

Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella Cheeze, sliced very thin.

Fresh Oregano and Rosemary.

Olive Oil, EVOO, the good stuff!

Note: quantities will vary with the number of Pizzas to make. One loaf of dough will make between 3 and 4 minis. One jar of tomatoes and one small tub of olives and Feta should also due just fine for this amount.

Preheat oven and pizza stone (optional) to 425.

Dice the tomatoes and olives small, almost fine. De-stem the herbs and chop fine. While dicing, smash 2 cloves of garlic and put in tomato jar with the oil from it. Fill the jar with evoo and add some of the herbs, about half. Slice the mozzerella almost transparent thin. Partially freezing it helps to slice it. Crumble the feta, if needed.

Divide the dough down to baseball sized balls. Roll out each ball very thinly. Dust bottom of crust with fine corn meal and place on lightly oiled quality cookie or pizza pan if not using stone. Shake oil jar thoroughly and brush oil mixture over top of crust. Add olives, tomatoes, and Feta. Dont be stingy with toppings. Cover with thin slices of mozzerella. Its ok to have spaces between slices. In fact, its better to.

Bake at 425 until cheeze is melted and just starting to turn golden and crust is golden on bottom. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped herbs.