PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reche Caldwell,Will he Start again next year?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How far will the Patriots go in the playoffs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo. Past time for the FO to do right by TB.

Do right by TB? WTF are you talking about? Have you even been following the Patriots? One of the biggest things that was said about this off-season and draft was that the Patriots DID EXACTLY THAT. They tried their best to negotiate with a piece of slime scumbag receiver who felt he was more important to the Patriots than either Tom Brady or Richard Seymour. Seymour and Brady both had to play out the last year of their rookie contracts before their extensions went into effect. However, they DID get bonus money in that final year to help off-set the difference. Branch lied to everyone claiming that he would play out his contract regardless if he had an extension. Then he put an ultimatum to the Pats. Remember, the Pats send Branch 3 different contract offers. None of which Branch had his agent send a counter to. Had they done so, who knows what sort of contract he would have gotten.

While all that was going on, the Patriots drafted Laurence Maroney, Chad Jackson, David Thomas, Garrett Mills, and Ryan O'Callaghan with 5 of their 1st 6 picks. ALL PLAYERS DESIGNED TO HELP BRADY.

The Pats then signed a receiver who was a former #2 pick to replace Givens. And they traded for Doug Gabriel in hopes that he could be a more than adequate receiver. Caldwell flourished. Gabriel bombed because he had too much Randy Moss attitude.

On top of all that, the Patriots took pro-active measures to get their starting center signed long-term.

So, how are they NOT doing right by Brady?

Yes indeed. A vet FA WR with #1A potential is a must. In other words, a Meion Branch type.
And, just who is that potential 1A Free agent that is available? Please, let everyone know.

*edit* Oh yeah, and it still needs to be mentioned. Who are these WRs available in free agency?

Of course you know that no one knows the answer to that question yet.

There are guys who are UFAs who's teams still are still negotiating and RFAs as well... so its premature to say who's really available and who is not.

But since there's fewer choices at FA (and the price is usually higher) its better (and more fun) to consider trades as any and nearly all players ultimately can be had for the right package.

But there's no way anyone can say "there's no one out there to be had" and just assume that we're set with Caldwell at that position.

The fact is, even with a guy who had recently caught 100 passes (Brown), and even with a 2nd round draft pick who was looking like a good catch (Branch) and a 7th rounder who looked like a steal (Givens) BB was STILL not satisfied that he had enough quality and long-term depth at WR and was willing to pay top dollar for a WR who he felt was worth it (Mason)

We have EVEN LESS depth at that position today. I'd be shocked if BB went with the status quo next year and didn't try to improve the team by giving them a legitimate deep threat.

Of course you know that no one knows the answer to that question yet.

There are guys who are UFAs who's teams still are still negotiating and RFAs as well... so its premature to say who's really available and who is not.

But since there's fewer choices at FA (and the price is usually higher) its better (and more fun) to consider trades as any and nearly all players ultimately can be had for the right package.

But there's no way anyone can say "there's no one out there to be had" and just assume that we're set with Caldwell at that position.

The fact is, even with a guy who had recently caught 100 passes (Brown), and even with a 2nd round draft pick who was looking like a good catch (Branch) and a 7th rounder who looked like a steal (Givens) BB was STILL not satisfied that he had enough quality and long-term depth at WR and was willing to pay top dollar for a WR who he felt was worth it (Mason)

We have EVEN LESS depth at that position today. I'd be shocked if BB went with the status quo next year and didn't try to improve the team by giving them a legitimate deep threat.

I think you're right about this. Even as Caldwell's most vocal advocate here, I don't think we can rely on him as our #1 receiver. Jackson may blossom, but Gaffney is likely no better than Caldwell, and Brown's skills are declining.

The numbers suggest we lost about 30 pts this year by not retaining or replacing Branch. That would have translated into at least one more victory. It has to be a priority for Belioli next year to add someone at least as good as Caldwell.

i think we're a little close than it seems. i never said do nothing. i'm saying the team will maybe draft a guy on the 2nd day and bring in lesser guys like Caldwell, Patten, and Gabriel. I'm just saying that there aren't many #1s or even #2s available, and those available (whether via FA or trade) will be more expensive than the Pats are willing to pay.

And I don't really believe the Pats undervalue premier WRs as much as other teams greatly overvalue them. The freaking seahawks thought a really good-but-not-great WR was the piece that was going to win them a superbowl. WRs are flashy and highly visible and draw oohs and aahs. teams will overpay for them this offseason in both salary and in trade. I don't see the pats entering into the insanity.

You have to draft wide receivers every year because you are only

guaranteed to have their services for 4 years under the CBA. In

2010, Chad Jackson will be fully trained and probably playing for

another team.

This is such stupid thinking, I don't even know where to begin.

Depends on what we mean by start. #1 or #2. If we draft someone then its likely he'll be the "#1" again. If we go out and get a big name reciever then I guess Reche might be #2. Either way I am pretty sure he starts next year.

I think you're right about this. Even as Caldwell's most vocal advocate here, I don't think we can rely on him as our #1 receiver. Jackson may blossom, but Gaffney is likely no better than Caldwell, and Brown's skills are declining.

The numbers suggest we lost about 30 pts this year by not retaining or replacing Branch. That would have translated into at least one more victory. It has to be a priority for Belioli next year to add someone at least as good as Caldwell.

Would one win have translated into a Bye? If it would have, that's HUGE.

But again, hindsight's 20/20 - if the Patriots knew how the Branch situation was going to work out I'd bet they give a lot more consideration to Javon Walker or even Donte Stallworth who had nearly a 20 yard catch average and as I recall didn't "cost" a lot for Philly.

But not even BB can predict the future so there's no point in begrudging him.

Of course those two players alone should give pause to all those who say there's NO ONE out there to be had.

Look at how many coaching changes there have been - and look how many more there will be. Quite a few new coaches are going to be willing to make some signficant trades this offseason to make their mark or maybe just offload salary.

I'm not sure why we ARE talking about offseason moves since its not yet the offseason, but it just amazes me to see how many people already seem to know that no one is available when its so pre-mature to say so its laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back