PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reche Caldwell question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel that Reche Caldwell has been a adaquet replacement for David Givens.. I realise Givens tore up his knee, and by no means Reche is a replacement for Branch, but has he filled the shoes of Givens.. ?? In my opinon he has done the job, and will only get better..

He's as big and faster. They're both good but "some people" had Givens a little bit overrated IMO.

Not many 7th round picks pull down that dough, though Rod Smith of Denver is an example of one who has way overplayed his draft status, (undrafted).

I don't believe you can exactly "replace" players, since these guys aren't clones.
You have to make good judgements and be consistent with value.

There's new drafts and FA's every year. Those that have a plan and stick to it prosper. Those that go for the "quick fix" rarely do IMO.

Overall Caldwell is helping us as much as Givens IMO. Now we need someone to step up to at least that level - no-one this year will become a #1 guy but if one of the others could get to where Caldwell is then our receiving corps will be fine when the TE are included.

He's growing on me. Didn't like him at the beginning of the season, but he's blocking well, getting open, and has made some huge 3rd down catches. He can really turn on the jets too when he needs to. He's going to blow away his career highs

Last edited:
I was not one of those who was down on Reche earlier in the season. I don't think he is as physical as Givens, but I think he has done a good job. While watching the game, it struck me that with all the receivers it's difficult to get everyone involved in the game. It's going to be intertersting to see how the WR corps looks next year.

Caldwell has been as productive as Givens was to date last season, but then Givens got hurt, which he has done quite a bit, even prior to his lost season in Tennessee.

Reche faced a lot of hyper knee-jerk reactions - after, what, a drop on a bullet pass in a PRE-SEASON game??? - and has learned the offense and been our most productive wideout. He has caught a TON of passes for 1st downs and done all of this at a fraction of Givens's cost. A GREAT swap, imo.

Now if we can just get Gabriel and/or CJ to produce even close to Deion's level, we'll be golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes