PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reche Caldwell Excitement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
O.K., so I've been one of the many concerned about our receiving corp. However, every where I turn I read another camp story on the tremendous camp that Rech Caldwell is having, and frankly I am getting very pumped about it.

Are any of our other WRs getting praised at any level? This should be most of them, as guidance:

Branch, Deion 83 WR 5-09 193 27 5
Brown, Troy 80 WR 5-10 193 35 14
Caldwell, Reche 87 WR 6-00 215 27 5
Childress, Brandon 13 WR 5-10 185 24 1
Davis, Erik 19 WR 6-02 192 22 R
Henry, Keron WR 6-01 222 23 1
Jackson, Chad 17 WR 6-01 212 21 R
Kight, Kelvin 2 WR 6-00 213 24 1
Musinski, Rich 5 WR 6-01 195 25 1
Shelton, Matt 18 WR 6-00 172 24 R
Smith, Zuriel 19 WR 5-11 173 26 2
Stone, John 14 WR 5-11 180 27 2

Any insight????????????????????????????????????????????

Sean Morey used to look great in camp every year, and sometimes in pre-season games. Those facts didn't even get him on the 53. It is early to believe that

1) Caldwell will be the seemless replacment for Givens,
2) Branch will come back and be healthy all year,
3) Brown will contribute much in the year after his projected retirement,
4) Jackson will be the exception and be a major factor as a Year 1 wideout, or
5) anyone else will step up
6) we have returners other than Brown, Faulk=, Hobbs and Pass

MgTeich: I'll take a crack at that! :D

1) Yes, unless Caldwell really is 'injury prone'.
2) Probably
3) Brown is the man, he'll look good this year as a back-up WR and CB
4) Jackson will do less than we think simply because rookie WR always have lowly stats
5) We will have TEs in the mix that contribute in the passing game
6) Willie Andrews nails down the kick return job

mgteich said:
It is early to believe that

1) Caldwell will be the seemless replacment for Givens,
2) Branch will come back and be healthy all year,
3) Brown will contribute much in the year after his projected retirement,
4) Jackson will be the exception and be a major factor as a Year 1 wideout, or
5) anyone else will step up
6) we have returners other than Brown, Faulk=, Hobbs and Pass
It's never to early to believe anything WILL happen. What you are looking for is assurance, and that won't come until mid-season or later.

Bostonian1962 said:
O.K., so I've been one of the many concerned about our receiving corp. However, every where I turn I read another camp story on the tremendous camp that Rech Caldwell is having, and frankly I am getting very pumped about it.

Are any of our other WRs getting praised at any level? This should be most of them, as guidance:

Branch, Deion 83 WR 5-09 193 27 5 Holdout
Brown, Troy 80 WR 5-10 193 35 14 Good reports
Caldwell, Reche 87 WR 6-00 215 27 5 Brady's WR favorite in camp - Watson is the favorite receiver
Childress, Brandon 13 WR 5-10 185 24 1 Just off PUP, but one report had him the most in-sync with Brady after Reche & Troy
Davis, Erik 19 WR 6-02 192 22 R not standing out
Henry, Keron WR 6-01 222 23 1 dropsies, but athletic
Jackson, Chad 17 WR 6-01 212 21 R rookie -raw - green
Kight, Kelvin 2 WR 6-00 213 24 1 no mention
Musinski, Rich 5 WR 6-01 195 25 1 got noted for a play of the day on Patriots.com, some mention in other reports - sounds like p-squad again
Shelton, Matt 18 WR 6-00 172 24 R not standing out
Smith, Zuriel 19 WR 5-11 173 26 2 PUP or rehab
Stone, John 14 WR 5-11 180 27 2 1 neg report, bunch of positives, battling for 3, 4, or 5 slot is my guess

Any insight????????????????????????????????????????????

Branch, Deion 83 - Number 1 guy
Brown, Troy 80 - Probably number 3 guy or checkdown guy when in the game
Caldwell, Reche 87 - Great chance to be #2 puts more pressure on himself than anyone on the coaching staff, great hands, good speed and
Childress, Brandon 13 - 5th WR option great hands good speed
Davis, Erik 19 - Cut/PS drops to many
Henry, Keron 1 - Chance to compete for 5th but probably wont make it
Jackson, Chad 17 - Going to be a guy that could be a number 2 one week but then a number 4 the next. He'll have a great year but its just the beginning
Kight, Kelvin 2 - Not enough to say anything about yet
Musinski, Rich 5 - Horrible
Shelton, Matt 18 - Dropping balls left and right looks to be over anxious
Smith, Zuriel 19 - Probably will be released nothing special
Stone, John 14 - the only guy that still has a chance to make the roster and who is fighting against Bam for #5

How i see it:
1 - Branch
2 - Caldwell
3 - Brown/Jackson
4 - Jackson/Brown
5 - Bam/Stone

outside shot Henry.

Branch holding out is the best thing that could have happened to Caldwell coming into camp and needing to prove himself.

This is the fatal error in holding out. The team still holds camp and someone else gets the reps. Obviously, Brady/Branch have a great chemistry and Branch will remain the number 1, but with Caldwell getting more balls thrown his way in camp it certainly has to expedite the process of getting comfortable in a new offense and could result in Deion having a few less thrown his way during the season as Tom grows to trust Reche.

I've only made it to three practices but Caldwell's looked good in all of them.

Stone might be a sleeper (sort of like Roach on the LBs). With the lack of depth, Stone might make the roster (or at least the PS).

JD10367 said:
Stone might be a sleeper (sort of like Roach on the LBs). With the lack of depth, Stone might make the roster (or at least the PS).

Is Stone eligible for the PS? How many NFL games has he played?

Last edited:
Stone is a UDRFA. He can be placed on the PS.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Stone is a UDRFA. He can be placed on the PS.

From Reiss's blog in July...

"* Receiver John Stone, who has participated in all seven practices of training camp, was one player receiving some media attention. He talked about how he has tried to watch Troy Brown closely. "Being a shorter guy [5-11, 185] and a quick guy, you can take a lot from him," said Stone, who has three career catches in five games with the Raiders (2003-2005). "You do what you can to emulate his style of play."

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/303409

The rules for PS eligibility are:

A team may establish a practice squad of no more than eight players who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 45-player active list for less than nine regular season games during their only accrued season. A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than two seasons.

Last edited:
primetime said:
From Reiss's blog in July...

"* Receiver John Stone, who has participated in all seven practices of training camp, was one player receiving some media attention. He talked about how he has tried to watch Troy Brown closely. "Being a shorter guy [5-11, 185] and a quick guy, you can take a lot from him," said Stone, who has three career catches in five games with the Raiders (2003-2005). "You do what you can to emulate his style of play."

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/303409

The rules for PS eligibility are:

A team may establish a practice squad of no more than eight players who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 45-player active list for less than nine regular season games during their only accrued season. A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than two seasons.
Holy crap i read he was a rookie. Sorry about that, i knew the PS rules already but had no idea he's been around since 03.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
MgTeich: I'll take a crack at that! :D

4) Jackson will do less than we think simply because rookie WR always have lowly stats
Not true.

The following are the wide receivers selected on day one of the draft by the Patriots since 1996, with their rookie stats:

Terry Glenn, 7th overall pick 1996, 90 catches 1132 yds 12.6 ypc
Tony Simmons, 1998 (52nd overall) 23 catches, 474 yds 20.6 ypc
Deion Branch, 2002 (65th overall) 43 catches, 489 yds 11.4 ypc
Bethel Johnson, 2003 (45th overall) 16 catches 209 yds 13.1
Chad Jackson, 2006 (36th overall) ?? ?? ??

I would be very happy if we got the same production from Jackson as we got from Simmons or Branch their rookie years. Of course I would be ecstatic if we got Terry Glenn numbers.

So the truth is, of 4 day one WR picks since 1996, 3 (75%) have produced at least 474 receiving yards, a number I would be very happy to get from a #3 wideout. Or, if you like averages, the average of the 4 day WRs are:

43 catches 576 yards 13.4 ypc. Those are awesome numbers for a #3 receiver and in fact are not that far off what we got from #2 receiver David Givens in his most recent year (59, 738, 12.5).

It's also encouraging that Jackson is the earliest drafted WR in the BB era, the earliest drafted overall since Terry Glenn, that he was ranked the best WR and projected as a first-rounder by many analysts, and that we traded up to get him (the last guy we did that for was Deion Branch, I believe).

jimmyjames said:
Branch holding out is the best thing that could have happened to Caldwell coming into camp and needing to prove himself

Injury fears would probably have Branch being used very cautiously in camp regardless of whether he was here or not, as he's been used cautiously in camp in the past as well.

I'm a Caldwell skeptic (though I'd love to be wrong) - as with a season high of 28 receptions in a season I want to keep my expectations reasonable - and also, even though this has been a much "tougher" camp, WR's probably know that as going up for a catch that the DBs aren't literally trying to rip their heads off.

That "minor" psychology advantage is something that Rodney Harrison has used to his advantage during the regular season and it does make a difference, but really isn't in play during training camp drills. So I take a lot of practice reports with a grain of salt - as it really is quite literally, only practice.

Last edited:
Soloman did a nice long article on Caldwell in the globe for today...too bad the Pats stuff was in the WAY back behind the Red Sox stuff....

PromisedLand said:
Not true.

The following are the wide receivers selected on day one of the draft by the Patriots since 1996, with their rookie stats:

I would be very happy if we got the same production from Jackson as we got from Simmons or Branch their rookie years. Of course I would be ecstatic if we got Terry Glenn numbers.

So the truth is, of 4 day one WR picks since 1996, 3 (75%) have produced at least 474 receiving yards, a number I would be very happy to get from a #3 wideout. Or, if you like averages, the average of the 4 day WRs are:

43 catches 576 yards 13.4 ypc. Those are awesome numbers for a #3 receiver and in fact are not that far off what we got from #2 receiver David Givens in his most recent year (59, 738, 12.5).

It's also encouraging that Jackson is the earliest drafted WR in the BB era, the earliest drafted overall since Terry Glenn, that he was ranked the best WR and projected as a first-rounder by many analysts, and that we traded up to get him (the last guy we did that for was Deion Branch, I believe).

Don't jinx us.

PromisedLand said:

QUOTE]
I dont think you should include Glenn or Simmons because they are not this current FO's picks.

JMO.

I dont think you should include Glenn or Simmons because they are not this current FO's picks.

JMO.
5RingsForBrady said "rookie WR [sic] always have lowly stats". That was my response to him. He didn't say "Rookie WR's selected by the current FO always have lowly stats."

I am a transplanted fan who has lived in San Diego for the last 10 years. Reche Caldwell always had good camps with the Chargers. In the season he has hands of stone. Of all the Charger games that I have watched I can honestly tell you that the first big catch he makes will be the first big catch of his career!

PromisedLand said:
5RingsForBrady said "rookie WR [sic] always have lowly stats". That was my response to him. He didn't say "Rookie WR's selected by the current FO always have lowly stats."
O ok i just thought you were just going through showing stats of drafted players in the last decade or so. My fault for not reading back.

Another thing you have to consider with the Patriots is that Belichick and Pioli dont draft for huge results in players first years. Only major exceptions like Seymour fall into that category.

Dont look for Jackson to have crazy numbers anything from 400 - 800 yards is very reasonable anything more can be arguable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes