Welcome to PatsFans.com

Recession Confirmed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Sep 15, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

The House plans to vote on a new economic stimulus act...the second in 8 months. This one is marked for $50billion...blah, blah, blah:rolleyes: Some may think "good" but it only confirms that we are indeed in a recession.

U.S. House plans vote on $50 bln to stimulate economy

WASHINGTON—The House plans to debate legislation this month to inject another $50 billion of stimulus into the faltering U.S. economy, mostly with the goal of creating new jobs, a senior House Democratic aide said Monday.

Amid fears of wider economic damage from turmoil on Wall Street, the roughly $50 billion would aim to spark needed road, bridge and other construction projects that help create jobs, with details still being worked out, the aide said.

The money also would be used to help low-income families pay winter heating bills and to extend unemployment benefits.

U.S. House plans vote on $50 bln to stimulate economy - Boston.com
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Throwing money we don't have at problems that can't be fixed that way; it's the new American way!
  3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Naa, it's the old American way.
  4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

One thing is for certain, no matter how much money is spent to "fix" the economy, it won't work. The ONLY road to a healthy economy is let it take it's course through the natural laws of free-market economics.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The financial mess isn't due to a recession - however it may cause one. A recession has not been confirmed, nor is the current mess in the stock market proof of such. Might a recession result due to this ? Yes. But it hasn't been confirmed by any stretch of your imagination.
  6. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I agree. While I don't know much I do know that if they keep propping up the economy falsely it will just take that much longer to heal.
  7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

BC...I'm not going by my imagination. I'm just saying what world renowned economists have been saying for months...we ARE in a recession. As you know, it typically takes about a year for recessions to be "officially" declared.

But if you do a search on ecnomists opinions, the VAST majority say we are already in one. One of the most respected economists in the country, Nouriel Roubini predicted our current "recession". He is being lauded every where now and is one of the most highly sought after speakers on economic trends in the world.

Read about him here in this August interview with Barrons;

Expert Interview: Barron's and Roubini
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

You may be right. But quit saying "confirmed" when it hasn't been confirmed. In fact it's not close to being confirmed as U.S. growth continues and a receding economy (hence the name recession) is required.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Someone tell PR what the definition of confirmed is. :rolleyes:
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

My point FELLAS...is that our government has spent more money trying to fix our economy than was spent trying to correct the Great Depression or any other recession in history. To consider this a pesky little "correction" is fool hardy at best.

Just keep watching as the months pass by and things don't change economically speaking. When all is said and done, it will be declared that the recession of 2008-? began in January 2008.

Hey, here's an idea....call someone who works on Wall Street and ask them if we're in a recession!

Wall Street Firm; "I'm sorry sir, but Mr so&so no longer works here":D
  11. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Just think, these D-bags in DC are trying to hold this mess together to get McSame elected. Wait until the election is over until the whole sh*thouse really goes up in flames. What we are witnessing is nothing less than the transition of America the superpower into the banana republic that it really is.
    We're bankrupt in every sense of the word.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

That doesn't count either because a recession is a national thing not a local thing. No-one is arguing that we could end up in a recession but to say it's been confirmed is disingenuous at best and flat stupid at worst.
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

The Messiah will save us.
  14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Ok....being subtle huh BF?;)

I'll put it another way...

Call a restaurant owner
    a retailer
    an auto manufacturer
    an auto dealer
    a builder
    a real estate agent
    a banker
    an information systems manufacturer

And ask them if we're in a recession. My point here BF is that COMMON SENSE would tell anyone we're in a recession. Again, I said ALL recessions are typically declared after they are over...just as this one will be.

There is no denying all economic conditions right now point to exactly what Greenspan stated yesterday

"We are in a once in a Century Economic Crisis" Not "kinda bad" conditions or almost recessionary.

So I'm going to say once again we ARE in a recession. I know you don't agree and that's fine. We'll agree to disagree. But I know most economic experts agree with me.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I never said I disagree. Quite honestly, I'm insulated from the good and the bad as I live in a small town so I don't see the highs of soaring real estate nor the lows of sinking real estate. Same for other economic indicators. I'm just saying that it's dumb to say something has been confirmed when it hasn't. In fact we have yet to see our first quarter of receding GDP.
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Ok, I'll give you that I was misleading with my thread title. You're right, it's not factually accurate, but I'll also admit I did that on purpose to emphasize the fact that our government won't admit we're in recession yet they've spent hundreds of BILLIONS trying to fix it. I was just trying to show how they're talking out both sides of their mouths.

P.S. The Cowboys & Eagles looked pretty strong last night, didn't they?
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

So who, and what, in DC, wants to get McSame elected, and why?
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

No offense, but you sound like a child. Call your barber....call your gardener...call your hooker...

We had a better year this year with our construction company, than we did last year. So please tell me what that does to your "call your" theory.
  19. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

So with all this economic gloom and doom, who still thinks it's a good idea to raise capital gains and corporate taxes?
  20. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +580 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Question: Didn't the willy-nilly opening of the spigots of the money supply and giving out too much sugar CAUSE this diabetic cluster-fluck in the first place?

How much deeper into the rabbit hole do some folks want to dig?