PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Receivers Quesions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I have a few questions about receivers. I would like morons such as Digger44 and "The Predator" (what a tough name) to avoid posting comments for attention...only good posters and responses Please.

now.

1.)Who will be our Number 1 receiver next year? Can Gaffney handle that? Or is he no better than a number 2? He really impressed me this year and i loved what i saw in the big games. He got even better the bigger they got

2.)Should Caldwell be cut? demoted? I think he should b/c he cannot be trusted. One great catch in one game does not make up for choking on 2 simple catches in the next game ( a bigger game ). But if hes not cut ill understand. But i pray to God that Reche isn't our number 1.

3.)What is the deal with Chad Jackson? Didn't he have like 4 Tds too? that's strange consdiering how few times he had the ball thrown to him. Will this guy even start next year?

4.)Can anyone honestly see us drafting a WR in either of the 1st 2 rounds again?

5.)If we are to sign a free agent Wide Receiver, who is most likely to be picked up?

God Bless Us Everyone

Last edited:
1. No idea but my highest hopes are for Jackson

2. Not cut..just put him where he belongs, as a #2 WR. Hes doesnt get open consistently and isnt as physical as hes capable of being. We need an upgrade @ 1, wouldnt mind Caldwell @ #2 spot

3. supposivly jackson had "playbook" issues..and injuries..i guess coaches didnt trust to put him in @ end of year ..shame..hes the most talented WR on the team. He should start IMO..he can get open..hes fast..strong..athletic.

4. I can see us drafting a WR..just depends who we are dealing with..maybe jarrett or rice but not meachem imo..but in round 2 definatley..a guy like Johnie Lee Higgins who can be a Santana Moss-Steve Smith type of player w/ his speed and routes

5. If we sign a WR, itd say Kevin Curtis or Stallworth . Drew bennett has been inconsistent last few years..not all his fault but this year too many drops. We need speed..we dont need more possesion guys who will just catch and get 5-10 yards..we need a guy who can break it open..like CJax

Both Gaff and Reche are great #2s, but neither is a pure #1. You can't say Caldwell can't be trusted....he had two drops all year. Chad Jackson had 3 TDs (buffalo, minnesota and NYJ week 2) because he is a playmaker and has a knack for making big plays. I hope he can get more consistent next year. I don't see us drafting a WR, and I don't know who we would sign if we were to sign someone, but Stallworth seems like a decent (but probably expensive) option.

There is room for both Gaffney and Caldwell on this team, but that doesn not mean that better WR's shouldn't be brought in in addition.

if it was me id bring in 1 and a 2 and keep Gaffney, Caldwell, and jackson and let them fight for 3 4 and 5, i think that would give you great depth and finally give Brady some real weapons

if it was me id bring in 1 and a 2 and keep Gaffney, Caldwell, and jackson and let them fight for 3 4 and 5, i think that would give you great depth and finally give Brady some real weapons

you realize we used a 2nd for Jackson..and that all the way down 3-4-5 is not a good idea..its not that Chad sucks..hes shown a lot of talent..its just that hes stupid for not studying playbook when he had a great chance to make an impact

I like Caldwell and Gaffney and Jackson as a base. Would I like to see another WR brought via FA.... Yes and I would expect some kinda move from the FO there. Let's remember the Jackson is a rookie and the Patriots playbook is a lot to assimilate, and being injured didn't help him at all. Will they draft a WR in April? Yes, definately but I don't see them taking one in the first round or the second unless they see an athlete drop to where they can't pass him up. I have a lot of faith in BB/SP to upgrade Brady's options and expand our air-attack next year. :rocker:

We need one more average to good wide receiver. Maybe Kevin Johnson is back from his ruptured ACL? I know we brought him in earlier with Jabar and Charles Rogers. I think that's the level of signing we're looking at, another cheap veteran and a 2 year contract.

Depending on what/how Troy Brown does, that leaves a spot for either Bam or Kight, and there's other shadow guys like Matt Shelton and Jonathan Smith lurking around. If the Pats do draft a wide receiver, it will likely be a late day two guy, someone who can get stashed on the practice squad without getting picked off waivers. I don't think they willingly put a high- to mid-round rookie on the roster with Chad Jackson when they only carry five wideouts and they've spent so much time training veterans.

Last edited:
The Patriots definition of a #1 WR is different from other teams definitions of #1 WRs.

We don't necessarilly need a WR to catch 75-95 passes a season.

We DO need someone who can catch 35-50 passes who can STRETCH THE FIELD

What this team was lacking was someone like Donte Stallworth, who can catch about 40 passes but with an 18 yard average or so.

I don't think anyone would classify him as a #1 WR but that's what we need.

"Need" is relative too because of course we were one play away from being the favorites in the SB even with the cast of characters we had - but one should keep in mind that this team - this offense - very much over achieved down the stretch. Fielding a team that needs to overachieve to win the SB is not something you routinely want to do.

I have a few questions about receivers. I would like morons such as Digger44 and "The Predator" (what a tough name) to avoid posting comments for attention...only good posters and responses Please.
Finally, a serious post from the Keegs.

1.)Who will be our Number 1 receiver next year? Can Gaffney handle that? Or is he no better than a number 2? He really impressed me this year and i loved what i saw in the big games.
Gaffney could be the number one wide receiver next year but Brady typically spreads the ball around. For all we know, Ben Watson could be the number one receiver next year.

2.)Should Caldwell be cut? demoted? I think he should b/c he cannot be trusted. One great catch in one game does not make up for choking on 2 simple catches in the next game ( a bigger game ). But if hes not cut ill understand. But i pray to God that Reche isn't our number 1.
The Patriots will not cut Reche Caldwell. Don't base a player's value solely on one game.

3.)What is the deal with Chad Jackson? Didn't he have like 4 Tds too? that's strange consdiering how few times he had the ball thrown to him. Will this guy even start next year?
Most rookie wide receivers do not perform in their first year.

4.)Can anyone honestly see us drafting a WR in either of the 1st 2 rounds again?
No!

5.)If we are to sign a free agent Wide Receiver, who is most likely to be picked up?
Troy Brown

Actually you have to answer the question as to how the offense has been a told failure under brady /bb era and why we need to change the offence.

The only way to do an extreme make over where their is 1 1#WR who gets 10throws a games needs a new OC and than a year where we have to get rid our multiple TE offence as with 1 #1Wr and 2 #2WR we can get away using 1 TE.

so yes we can do this but it will take 2 years for a complete make over atleast.

Actually you have to answer the question as to how the offense has been a told failure under brady /bb era and why we need to change the offence.

The only way to do an extreme make over where their is 1 1#WR who gets 10throws a games needs a new OC and than a year where we have to get rid our multiple TE offence as with 1 #1Wr and 2 #2WR we can get away using 1 TE.

so yes we can do this but it will take 2 years for a complete make over atleast.

haahahhhaha

can someone please translate this post to English

what the hell?:singing:

Are you for flucking real!!??!! You drunk, stoned or both? Why dont we get rid of our head coach, QB and player personell guy too....:bricks:
You are either a total and complete aschole or a moronic troll from another team.:bricks:

I think that the #1 receiver should be Ben Watson. He is capable of Gates/Gonzales type impact scaled down for the Patriots system (i.e. not 15 TDs but 10, not 100 catches but 80). As for #1 wide receiver, that will have to come from out of house via FA. All the current guys are great as 2,3,4,5and after the high investment in CJ, I think the team goes after a proven vet where they know what kind of production to expect as opposed to an big unknown in a rookie, in any round.

As for the CJ comments such as "first year wideouts do not produce usually in the NFL" and "the Pats playbook is very tough" and "he was injured in training camp and never recovered":

All valid point, however, ask youself this (and I do not know the answer): In week 1, Is it possible that BB thought CJ would be starting by mid-season - because otherwise would he not have brought in Walker/Lelie after it became clear that Branch was unsignable?

Yes, I wanted Stallworth last year, and again this year. I expect a mid-level free agent or trade.

If a trade for a top wide receiver or one is picked up in free agency, then we are set with some mid-level competition. Otherwise, I think we will draft a wideout in one of our first three picks. Actually, I think this is a no-brainer. We need a receiver, a defensive back and a linebacker. We have four Day One picks.

Yes, I wanted Stallworth last year, and again this year. I expect a mid-level free agent or trade.

If a trade for a top wide receiver or one is picked up in free agency, then we are set with some mid-level competition. Otherwise, I think we will draft a wideout in one of our first three picks. Actually, I think this is a no-brainer. We need a receiver, a defensive back and a linebacker. We have four Day One picks.

If BB drafts us another surprise Tight End ANYWHERE in the draft I am going to pull my hair out,strand by strand.

now.

1.)Who will be our Number 1 receiver next year? Can Gaffney handle that? Or is he no better than a number 2? He really impressed me this year and i loved what i saw in the big games. He got even better the bigger they got

God Bless Us Everyone

1. Only time will tell; Gaffney is definitly number 1 caliber.
2. Cut the guy some slack. He may of ****ed up the big one, but he can be a good number 3 or 4.
3. Wasn't he injured for a while... or am I just stupid?
4. I highly doubt it. Defense first.
5. Anyone with experience who is a big tough guy.

1. Only time will tell; Gaffney is definitly number 1 caliber.
2. Cut the guy some slack. He may of ****ed up the big one, but he can be a good number 3 or 4.
3. Wasn't he injured for a while... or am I just stupid?
4. I highly doubt it. Defense first.
5. Anyone with experience who is a big tough guy.

I totally agree with you.....I am going to throw this out there for #5)why not Crayton from Dallas....or probly another vet with low cost for a couple of years contract...:confused: :eat2: :help: :eat2:

The Patriots definition of a #1 WR is different from other teams definitions of #1 WRs.

We don't necessarilly need a WR to catch 75-95 passes a season.

We DO need someone who can catch 35-50 passes who can STRETCH THE FIELD

What this team was lacking was someone like Donte Stallworth, who can catch about 40 passes but with an 18 yard average or so.

I don't think anyone would classify him as a #1 WR but that's what we need.

"Need" is relative too because of course we were one play away from being the favorites in the SB even with the cast of characters we had - but one should keep in mind that this team - this offense - very much over achieved down the stretch. Fielding a team that needs to overachieve to win the SB is not something you routinely want to do.

Agree completely, the Pats want "complimentary" recievers, not necessarily a #1 go to guy. Believe that Chad can step up and with a year under his belt as well as a complete TC he will be fine. Do not forget Ben Watson and Dave Thomas, the prior can do it and the other has tremendous potential for this team.

Take some issue with the over achieve comments, as playing to best of the ability might be a better way of framing this thought.

And I think that can be Jackson, but I'd like to see them stop trying to throw those deep sideline fly patterns and use JAckson on some deep posts, and some mid range crossing patterns....

This is what confuses me - Jackson was being sent as a burner down the sidelines - not being asked to run routes.

It's tough for me to understand what was lacking in him last season. I don't think they go into next season assuming Jackson will be the deep threat. Look for them to add a deep threat WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes