PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Receivers [Edit: Post Branch Cutdown]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another sense, he's only a tight end when he's the last player on his side flush with the line of scrimmage (i.e. an End) while not being the furthest player from center (i.e. not a Split End.)

Semantically speaking, an end may be both "tight" to the offensive formation and the furthest player from center on that side.

See: weak side of Single Wing, weak side of Wing T, Jumbo I, Maryland I, Power T formation, et cetera.

Something like 60% of his snaps a year ago were either in the slot or out wide.

I expect you'll see even more of his snaps there this year.

I'm thinking he's poised to take over as the primary receiver this year. There's really no reason not to think of him as a WR. He's just a WR as big as a TE.

Both Holley & Ebert are now gone.
Unfortunately & unfathomably, the less-than-useless Kerry Taylor is still here.
He makes "WR"(snicker) Matt Slater look like Troy Brown.

At least Taylor is gone too.

But unless Bill has been told that Shiancoe will be ready for Week 1 and that Gaffney will not,
then keeping Shiancoe & releasing Gaffney makes no sense. Releasing Branch makes less than
no sense. Of what was Bill afraid, losing the un-needed Marcus Forston or the un-talented
Mike Rivera to waiver claims?

At least Taylor is gone too.

But unless Bill has been told that Shiancoe will be ready for Week 1 and that Gaffney will not, then keeping Shiancoe & releasing Gaffney makes no sense. Releasing Branch makes less than no sense. Of what was Bill afraid, losing the un-needed Marcus Forston or the un-talented Mike Rivera to waiver claims?
Deion Branch better be re-signed tomorrow once the practice squad has been finalized.

Meanwhile, Visanthe "no practice no show" Shiancoe can take a hike for all I care.

Is there any good reason why Branch wasn't cut Monday with the vets? He didn't play Wednesday, so why keep him around? (Not sure if it's been answered I haven't seen it.)

looks like a lot of fans will be having a sleepless night or two before the clouds clear and the penetrating light of reason pierces this cloak of doom and gloom.

looks like a lot of fans will be having a sleepless night or two before the clouds clear and the penetrating light of reason pierces this cloak of doom and gloom.

It's pretty hilarious though. Before these cuts this was looking like an O capable of breaking the all time scoring mark.

But right now we are just 1 injury away from having nothing at the position.

It's pretty hilarious though. Before these cuts this was looking like an O capable of breaking the all time scoring mark.

But right now we are just 1 injury away from having nothing at the position.

yeah...well, welcome to the perpetual gameday thread here at Patsfans....

Cooking-LasPalmas-Chris-live.jpg

Last edited:
In my inital 53 I took Branch off the roster because he had a over a million dollars in cap savings if cut while Stalworth was just a few hundred thousand. They probably didn't expect Branch to beat out those 2 other guys and in the end didn't like his cap number. My hunch is that Branch will be resigned after week 1 when his salary is not guaranteed.

Not that Belichick is done roster tinkering, but when you look at the guys on this team that are decent to excellent receiving threats at all positions... that is, starting WR, TE and RB, you've actually got an incredible array of talent. Health is always the concerned course.

Utilizing depth from a shadow roster of veterans makes a lot more sense than cutting young guys with upside and potential. You know some of those shadow roster cuts may get signed but there's usually one or two availalbe mid season and hopefully you never need them at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes