Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reassessing the draft/offseason needs after AFCCG

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by everlong, Jan 21, 2013.

1. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

To steal a line from Grid's signature it all starts with the lines always has and always will. The Ravens were simply the more physical team. They can run for short yardage when the other team knows it's coming and can stop the run in the same situation. Neither can be said for the Patriots against physical teams.

I think priority one is a physical DT who can also penetrate when needed so teams cannot just focus on Vince knowing everybody else can be taken out one on one.

Second I want a SS who can bring the lumber. Say what you will about Pollard but he was a difference maker that we haven't had since Rodney. Gregory and Chung both sucked.

Third another pass rusher to go with Jones who really faded. Maybe Francis and continue to develop but he seems more of a rotational guy.

Forth some big fast outside receivers so Brady has somebody he can just throw it up to. I understand they want route runners but Flacco and Eli are both inferior to Brady. The difference is he has to work for everything. They throw these jump balls and their talented receivers bail them out. Time to give Brady somebody who can out leap the defense.

A big cover corner who can stay healthy. I don't know if that's Talib. He's definitely a difference maker but in the short sample he can't stay on the field.

Guard\Center. I only put this down here because what they have isn't bad but when it comes down to it they don't have guys who can win one on one battles on 3rd\4th and short. They're a cohesive unit but not a physical unit.
  2. zimmy

zimmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

The number one priority for me is wide receiver. We don't know the status of either Welker or Edelman. We know Branch is gone so that just leaves Lloyd, who I think it has been established is not the deep threat we hoped. Even if Welker comes back we desperately need a deep threat, ideally someone who can just go and get the ball at its highest point. We put so much pressure on Brady to put the ball exactly on the money every down that in tight playoff football we can't sustain it.

2. Press corner if Talib doesn't return
    3. Dominating interior presence next to Wilfork
    4. More pressure off the edge.
    5. Cover linebacker to matchup on tight ends and running backs
  3. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Some attitude.
  4. TFB*

TFB* Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Depth and talent at CB.

Interior penetrator.

Speed off the edge.

Hope we can get a 2nd for Mallet.
  5. EwanSellars

EwanSellars Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hard Hitting Safety- Matt Elam
    Penetrating DT- Kawann Short or FA Armond Armstead
    depth at CB- Tharold Simon/Leon Mcfadden etc
    deep threat WR- Terrance williams, Justin Hunter or Quinton Patton
    coverage LB- good to have fletcher back this year
    slot receiver if Welker leaves- Danny Amendola (knows Mcdaniels definitely a good option)
  6. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

Obviously, we need to know who Belichick re-signs or franchises before free agency starts.

CORNER
    We have Dennard and Dowling signed for 2013.

WIDE RECEIVER
    We have Lloyd and Slater signed for 2013.

No other needs can come close to these.
  7. stelfans

stelfans Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

welker or no welker they need a couple of WR, plain and simple. And a couple of corners(including talib)
  8. SwedishPat

SwedishPat Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First of all: a DT who can play all three downs and apply pressure up the middle. The pressure against Ravens was not good at all. If you apply some pressure up the middle, the quarterback will be a lot more stressed, and he can't step up to avoid the ends.

Secondly a think a bigger receiver. We need someone who can play physical in the red zone. Someone who can go up high and pull down the ball. Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski all take more or less the same area, the middle. I think we should let Welker go to pay a bigger more physical outside receiver who can be a threat in the red zone. I'm not hating on Welker, I love that little guy. But I think the money would be better spent on someone else when we have good tight ends.
  9. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

WR- A few talented guys in the draft (Hunter, Williams, Rodgers, the guy from clemson with the dreads, Patterson)
    Safety- Kenny Vaccaro pls
    DL- I have to do some homework on who's available but I'd rather get more experienced on the interior. The majority of the talent on the edge is towards the top of the draft so I don't know if thats an option right now.
    CB depth(assuming Talib returns)- I wouldn't be surprised if this and safety are our top two priorities in the draft.
  10. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

You suggest that our top draft priorities may be ba kip corner and safety. Yet you correct point out our need at DT.

11. ATippett56

ATippett56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *
  12. Henroc

Henroc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Supposedly dane fletcher is that cover linebacker because he's quick right? or am i wrong? regardless though as he's shown we could use somebody else also since he seems pretty injury prone
  13. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Since we only have one cover LB it's best to get another
  14. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Armond Armstead is here, our DT/DE. Let's just get the WR, LB, and S now.
  15. Get it shawtaay

Get it shawtaay Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We needed two defensive linemen. A blue chip and a red chip. Armstead is the red chip. Got to think WR and OT are the biggest draft priorities outside of the defensive line.
  16. Henroc

Henroc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sign jennings Draft tavon austin. End Game right there!
  17. resdubwhite

resdubwhite Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Given there are only 5 picks in this years draft,
    1. Does BB trade players for more picks?
    2. give up on 2014 picks to come into 2013.
    3. Trade down in 2013 into later rds.
    4. None of the above.

Given the position the team is in for 2014 cap wise the first three scanarios are plausible, but how possible?
  18. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree. They had 2 spots on the DL that needed to be upgraded. Armstead is one, and they'll probably have to draft the other high.
  19. Taxed in Maine

Taxed in Maine Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is the correct answer. They have the 'Pass Rushers', now they need a serious talent upgrade at DT. Armstead is one step in the right direction.

When they were winning SBs they had some of the best DLs in the NFL. They have been playing with Vince and a bunch of JAGs for years. DT has needed an upgrade for years. It will improve the ENTIRE defense.
  20. fightingirish595

fightingirish595 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

coverage linebacker is clearly a need
  21. manxman2601

manxman2601 Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

So how does the Armstead signing affect our need on the DL? I've put Datone Jones in my mock. Would that be redundant now that Armstead's on board?

Personally I don't think so. Armstead isn't going to be a top notch pass-rusher although he'll likely be better than anything else we have at DT and as Wilfork75 noted elsewhere, Armstead and someone like Datone Jones or Ansah would be very effective playing on the interior in sub packages.
  22. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I don't necessarily think we need an upgrade to our base DT's because I think the Wilfork/Love/Deaderick rotation did well on early downs. They are very stout against the run and allowed our LBers some freedom to make plays. To me the issue was 3rd down and obvious passing situations where we simply couldn't get pressure with 4 down lineman. I think Armstead certainly has the potential to improve this area, but I still think we need 1 more interior pass rush presence. Whether that be another DE/DT like Datone Jones or a pure 3-tech like Sylvester Williams. Or they may have confidence developing someone like Marcus Forston who is already on the roster. I also wouldn't rule out another high pick on a pure edge rusher like Ziggy Ansah. I really like what the Giants do continually adding quality depth to their D-line and I wouldn't mind trying to copy that. Adding guys like Ansah and Datone Jones to Armstead, Chandler Jones, Ninko, Francis, Bequette could make our D-line a strength. As long as we are able to create pressure with 4 guys I am all for any lineman.
  23. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think Ansah or Jones would be for what you want. Hopefully, start at LDE in the 4-3. When we go NASCAR or a faster defense could slide into dt. Move Hightower from SAM to LDE. He could even drop into coverage. Give teams a lot of looks like we used to be able to do. Could give Vince a blow and have a front four of; D.Hightower-E.Ansah-A.Armstead-C.Jones. Some pretty good depth too in Wilfork and Deaderick/Love at DT. J.Francis/J.Cunningham and J. Bequette at de. Very young too, with the exception of Wilfork.
  24. SeymourTrophies

SeymourTrophies Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm happy with the LB corps. Bring Fletcher back and bring another lighter body in and you've got solid backups for a physical set of LB's. There has to be a focus on taking some of the attention away from Wilfork, whether that is by bringing in a vertically capable interior player or stretching out the line with another edge presence, it needs to happen. A more seasoned and healthy Chandler Jones might be the answer to spreading out the protections, but putting someone more threatening opposite him would help us not be crippled by one pile up and a reinjured ankle. We saw Scott and Cunningham are role guys at best, and for all of the clutchness Nink is, between crucial plays (one or two per game), he's a nonfactor.
  25. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That coverage LB was sitting there for the taking at #48 in last years draft were they took Tavon Wilson. Zach Brown at 52, Lavonte David at 58 or a slight trade up for Bobby Wagner who went at 47 or Mychal Kendricks at 46.

Other positions of need were DT Jerel Worthy at 51, CB Casey Hayward at 62 and WR Rueban Randle at 63. This isn't simply revisionist history, these were well regarded players leading up to the draft.

Now Wilson statistically had a good year, especially for a part time rookie, 41 tackles and 4 interceptions. He's a good special team player, a hard worker and at least decent depth at Safety but I wonder if he is going to be another James Sanders, a good effort, smart but physically limited player, or does he have a higher ceiling?

I hope it's the latter but if it isn't there was a lot of talent in that 2nd round the Pats passed up on, Lavonte David in particular, at positions of need that they had then and still have now.

If Wilson can step in to the starting SS position and produce at a high level then it's a moot point but if not you'll be able to look at the talent they left behind and see a holes at two positions that weren't filled.
  26. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I like Jones as a 3-4 DE and a situational pass rusher in a 4-3. Honestly given our LBs I would prefer going back to a 3-4. I wouldn't mind picking up a guy like Jenkins who's a complete load to play on the nose and move Vince to DE on running downs and back to NT in passing situations. Even if they stick with their 4-3 which at time is just a 3-4 the way they're using everybody both of these players would fill needs and add versatility.

Armstead and Deaderick would also be part of that rotation. I don't know what you can expect from Pryor after all this time.
  27. Merril Hoge's Tie Knot

Merril Hoge's Tie Knot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

patriots - One scout's priority list for Patriots: Wide receiver, safety and pass rusher - WEEI | Christopher Price

28. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

Agreed. Needs:

safety
    CB if Talib or Arrington leave
    coverage linebacker
    deep WR with #1 potential
    passrusher either DT or DE

Some of these needs can be met in free agency.
    Some of them will need to be addressed in the draft.

In general we suck at drafting WRs, so I'd expect us to sign a veteran although it's expensive.
    We should also add one more veteran player to the defense for depth and experience purposes.
    Our defense just appears much to young/green at big moments.

5 needs that can be met. We'll just have to see how the Pats go about doing it. If we acquire a very physical strong safety, he could be used in lieu of the coverage LB imo.
  29. zimmy

zimmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I broadly agree but think the key needs are wide receiver and the secondary.

We have no bodies under contract at wide receiver and even if we bring everyone back we still desperately need a deep threat - ideally someone who can just go up and get the ball. This will give us so much more versatility in games and especially if Gronk is injured.

Secondly, we need some better secondary play. It definitely improved when McCourty moved to safety and Talib came in but Talib is a free agent and also carries health questions makrs even if he comes back. Without Talib we only really have Dennard, and I wouldn't even call him a sure thing as yet. Gregory can definitely be upgraded at safety too. Hoping for a 2nd year jump from Wilson. Only really room for one early pick in the secondary so have to get one via free agency.

Other needs - interior pass rush (we've tried this year with Cunningham and Francis but haven't had that much success, while Fanene flamed out)

If Vollmer leaves tackle becomes a higher priority. Otherwise a coverage backer would be good and you can never have enough pass rushers, although we have bodies at that position so hoping for 2nd year jumps from Jones, Bequette et al.