PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reasons to feel good about the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomezcat

Grumpy Englishman.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to do a "reasons to be cheerful" post because we could all do with being cheered up a bit.
First of all, the Pats' performance against Miami was very poor and there is no getting away from that. I don't want to criticise the comments made this week because I was livid and depressed (one shortly after the other) on Sunday. I sympathise totally with all those who vented and feel that frustration.
However, no "dynasty" wins every game it plays or goes through the "dynasty" without blips. A period of continuous success is even less likely in an era of salary caps.
I think there are some reasons for optimism going into the future. Taking the short term first, we are 9-4 and are still capable of beating anyone else in the league. Do I think we will win the Superbowl this year? Probably not, but I bet we will step up our game after last week and make a reasonable run in the playoffs.
Then there is the medium and long term. We have two 1st round picks and a young team in many positions (obvious exceptions being Safety and Linebacker). I think we have piles of potential at OL and CB, where I am a particular fan of Hobbs' physicality. Days like last Sunday are inevitable when young players are developing.
The receivers clearly need some work but that can be sorted out with some more coaching, perhaps another pickup in the draft and an FA.
TE, QB and DL look particularly strong for the next 5 years hopefully.
I also like our coaching staff and I may be in the minority in thinking this. We have an OC who is still learning . Hopefully, he'll turn out to be a good 'un. I like what I have seen from the D this year and we are still coached by BB. That is worth so much, it really is.
I subscribe strongly to the idea of building through the draft and cheap FA pickups. It is far too risky to put all the eggs into one basket by signing a $5-10 million a year "star name". What if he takes the money and his motivation decreases? What if he is injured? What if he gets to Foxboro and thinks, "these guys are morons. I'm going to play my own way"? Unless he's an all-Pro in an essential position, then it strikes me as too big a gamble.
Short termism in any walk of life hardly ever works. Development of young players takes time but can often be worth the effort in the end.
Go Pats!

My #1 reason at this very moment is the news that Rodney is back at practice! After all he went through this off season to come back from his knee injury, it just killed me that he got hurt again this badly. Makes his potential return before the end of the reg season very uplifting to this die hard, drink the drink, never say die FAN!

My #1 reason at this very moment is the news that Rodney is back at practice! After all he went through this off season to come back from his knee injury, it just killed me that he got hurt again this badly. Makes his potential return before the end of the reg season very uplifting to this die hard, drink the drink, never say die FAN!

Right on sister! I am happy we have Tom Brady at QB and BB coaching, the rest can be fixed.

While I will admit that I am a little disappointed in how this season has gone; I truly thought that NE would be a dominant team this year, I am very happy about where this team is headed.

Even if they don't win the SB this year, they are strong going into next year at QB, RB (assuming Maroney is the real deal, which I think he is), OL (I still think they are a quality group) and DL.

TE I would grade out as good, and if Watson improves, I would put into the strong area even if Graham leaves.

I am one the secondary's biggest supporters. I never understood why people thought they were so bad this past offseason, particularly the "he is a nickleback!" outcry about Samuel. That said, even if Samuel comes back, I would grade them out as high a point of emphasis as WR in the next offseason. Harrison, Scott and Hawkins are all going to decline IMHO. Plus, we all know at least 4 member of the secondary are going to be on the shelf for much of the year. I won't be surprised if NE drafts 3+ CBs/Ss in next year's draft.

LB is OK, but if they can get just one front-line starter in FA I would jump them all the way up to strong. Regardless, this is a need.

WR is a major concern, and rightfully so, but I think that NE is really just one guy away from have a very good corps. A WR to push all the others down a rung would make this a very strong group, IMO.

Considering that NE is well positioned in the key areas, they have 20+ million available for next year with no restructuring and they are loaded with draft picks, how can you *not* feel good about this team?

#1 - Defense wins championships... and it seems like no matter who is in there, regardless of injuries, the Pats have had a consistent Defense.

And let's not forget that Defense can put points on the board too. That can take a lot of pressure off the offense.

To win the SB we don't need to have a top tier offense - they just need to avoid mistakes... and while they've not even been doing that lately, I have enough confidence that come playoff time they can pull it together enough to at the very least, miminize mistakes.

Just look at Pitttsburgh in the Super Bowl last year if you don't believe me... and consider the fact that as of week 13 last year the Steelers were 7-5.... its all about peaking at the right time.

#1 - Defense wins championships... and it seems like no matter who is in there, regardless of injuries, the Pats have had a consistent Defense.

And let's not forget that Defense can put points on the board too. That can take a lot of pressure off the offense.

To win the SB we don't need to have a top tier offense - they just need to avoid mistakes... and while they've not even been doing that lately, I have enough confidence that come playoff time they can pull it together enough to at the very least, miminize mistakes.

Just look at Pitttsburgh in the Super Bowl last year if you don't believe me... and consider the fact that as of week 13 last year the Steelers were 7-5.... its all about peaking at the right time.

I feel the same way this year as I did last year. Not one team is dominating and the team that is closest to doing that has issues as well.

Last year: Indy was rolling through the competition with a shaky run defense that was aided by the offense getting big leads early, forcing teams to play into the their defensive strenghts. They had a coach and a QB that had a history of failure in the playoffs.

This year: SD has a stat machine defense that gives up a lot of points and can be suceptible to the run and CB's that suck. Over dependent on two players on offense (Gates and LT = 65% of their offense in their last 7 games) an untested QB and a coach with a history of losing in the playoffs.

Then you have Baltimore which is similar to Denver last year, Indy is closer to Cincy of last year and Cincy is coming on like Pittsburgh of last year.

Its wide open and this team is good enough to put points up against anyone (except against teams coached by former BB DC's) as long as they don't turn the damn ball over.

I hate to over simplify it but I think that is what it comes down to when the playoffs start.

Baltimore - If we don't turn the ball over, their offense won't put up enough points to win.

Indy - They won't be able to stop the run and this time the Pats don't get cute they just pound the ball.

Cincy - Defense is a fraud, IMO and they will have a hard time winning on the road in the playoffs.

Jax - They suck on the road and no way Gerrard does enough to beat us.

That leaves SD as the only team I think will be able to beat the Pats without the need for turnovers. But that would mean LT has a big day and our D doesn't have an answer for Gates and Rivers plays perfect. Also throw in, Marty needs to play it wide open, if he starts playing "Marty Ball", then stick a fork in them.

This years playoffs should be just as unpredictable as last year's.

I wanted to do a "reasons to be cheerful" post because we could all do with being cheered up a bit.

I have to admit I'm finding it very hard to find any positives at this point in our season. I'm mad at all of them; the players, the coaches, the equipment manager, the cooks etc...:mad:

But I do appreciate your attempt at cheering me up. :)

I have to admit I'm finding it very hard to find any positives at this point in our season. I'm mad at all of them; the players, the coaches, the equipment manager, the cooks etc...:mad:

And the winner of this weeks wet blanket award goes to Hoodie!!!

There was a lot of competition but you won! Hoodie Downer!
:cool:

Top 10 reasons to feel good about the Pats:

10.) 9-4 isn't exactly a bad record

9.) The offense, while struggling, is young and will likely be vastly improved next season, if not before

8.) 2 first round picks next season

7.) Colts are gas-piping it and just lost Stokley for the season.

6.) The hated Broncos are taking a nosedive with a new QB

5.) Best team in the winningest division in football

4.) There's not a single dominant team in the NFL this season, so this team can win it all

3.) The defense has a dominating D-Line and good youth in the secondary

2.) Belichick + Brady = contenders

1.) NEM is not the offensive coordinator

Any of the six AFC contenders could win it all. I disagree that SD isn't the dominant team in football. SD would NOT have to play perfect to beat the patriots. I believe that assessment is a major misevaluation of the relative strengths of the teams right now.

I am as optimistic for the future as anyone. We are a dynasty in the salary cap period, a truly incredible achievment.

I find it somewhat amazing that we will again going into the draft needing secondary, linebacker and wide receiver help, and of course need to consider help at TE. Hasn't these been the needs before every draft since Belichick arrived?

We DO NEED to figure out why we can't field a secondary or a set of wide receivers for a season, ever.

Dude, its ok to feel bummed out on Sun nite after a loss, I do it consistantly. But after I've started the car and run the hose from the exhaust to the interior, I kinda snap outta it. Its kind of a catharsis. But to carry this hangover through Friday, this team isn't doing bad at all for a rebuilding year to keep feeling like that. mgteich has it about right. We will make the playoffs. We will probably win at least one playoff game. Relax, enjoy the team and be glad **** MacPherson (sp) isn't the coach.

Any of the six AFC contenders could win it all. I disagree that SD isn't the dominant team in football. SD would NOT have to play perfect to beat the patriots. I believe that assessment is a major misevaluation of the relative strengths of the teams right now.

You obviously haven't watched to many of their games this season. ;)

In case you missed this post from last week.

Over the Past six games they have allowed an average of 25.3 ppg. Against the 15,30,7,22,31, and 25 ranked scoring offenses. Every team scored more than their season average against them.

Season

Bills 17.7 Against SD 21

OAK 12.2 Against SD 14

Den 17.9 Against SD 27

Cin 24.2 Against SD 41

Cle 16.0 Against SD 25

StL 20.2 Against SD 24

If you remove the lone top 10 scoring team (Cincy) and they have still allowed 22.2 ppg in that span.

To put it into perspective the Colts (one of the worst defenses in football) allowed 21.5 ppg over their past six games and if you take out the highest scoring game (31 points) they averaged 19.6 ppg. Against the 18,6,2,25,8 and 22 ranked scoring offenses. The Colts allowed nearly 4 ppg less than the Chargers against better offenses.

The only team they have beaten handidly over the last several weeks was Denver last week.

I've watched a lot of the chargers over the past six weeks, and have watched our games. What do YOU think the betting line should be on a neutral field? in SD where the game would be played?

I've watched a lot of the chargers over the past six weeks, and have watched our games. What do YOU think the betting line should be on a neutral field? in SD where the game would be played?

Well being a betting man I realize that the spread isn't based on what the bookies think the difference in the game will be. It is based on what they think will draw even money.

I think if they played on a neutral field the Chargers should be favored by 3.5. In San Diego I would go with 3.5 as well given that the game would most likely be played under clear skies and 70 weather. At most the line should be 4.5.

First of all, the Pats' performance against Miami was very poor and there is no getting away from that. I don't want to criticise the comments made this week because I was livid and depressed (one shortly after the other) on Sunday. I sympathise totally with all those who vented and feel that frustration.
However, no "dynasty" wins every game it plays or goes through the "dynasty" without blips. A period of continuous success is even less likely in an era of salary caps.
I think there are some reasons for optimism going into the future. Taking the short term first, we are 9-4 and are still capable of beating anyone else in the league. Do I think we will win the Superbowl this year? Probably not, but I bet we will step up our game after last week and make a reasonable run in the playoffs.
Then there is the medium and long term. We have two 1st round picks and a young team in many positions (obvious exceptions being Safety and Linebacker). I think we have piles of potential at OL and CB, where I am a particular fan of Hobbs' physicality. Days like last Sunday are inevitable when young players are developing.
The receivers clearly need some work but that can be sorted out with some more coaching, perhaps another pickup in the draft and an FA.
TE, QB and DL look particularly strong for the next 5 years hopefully.
I also like our coaching staff and I may be in the minority in thinking this. We have an OC who is still learning . Hopefully, he'll turn out to be a good 'un. I like what I have seen from the D this year and we are still coached by BB. That is worth so much, it really is.
I subscribe strongly to the idea of building through the draft and cheap FA pickups. It is far too risky to put all the eggs into one basket by signing a $5-10 million a year "star name". What if he takes the money and his motivation decreases? What if he is injured? What if he gets to Foxboro and thinks, "these guys are morons. I'm going to play my own way"? Unless he's an all-Pro in an essential position, then it strikes me as too big a gamble.
Short termism in any walk of life hardly ever works. Development of young players takes time but can often be worth the effort in the end.
Go Pats!

Wait a minute, I want to get some Ian Drury going in the background.

OK, go ahead

Any Given Sunday:eek:

Ian Drury?and th Blockheads?

'sex and drugs and rock and roll..."

yeah, where's Tony Collins when you need him

Wait a minute, I want to get some Ian Drury going in the background.

OK, go ahead

:D. You also answered a question for me... the phrase was going around my mind but I couldn't remember where I had heard it.

I don't need any 'feel good' reasons, stats, or whatnot for this team.

I'll 'feel good' until the Pats lose in the playoffs.

Dude, its ok to feel bummed out on Sun nite after a loss, I do it consistantly. But after I've started the car and run the hose from the exhaust to the interior, I kinda snap outta it. Its kind of a catharsis. But to carry this hangover through Friday, this team isn't doing bad at all for a rebuilding year to keep feeling like that. mgteich has it about right. We will make the playoffs. We will probably win at least one playoff game. Relax, enjoy the team and be glad **** MacPherson (sp) isn't the coach.

I'm not a dude and I'm still p*ssed. Not suicidal, angry. A loss ruins my whole week. It means I can't watch the other games, can't listen to sports talk radio, can't read the papers. THEY RUINED MY WEEK.

Hey Nut, I'm really glad I won and award for something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes