PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reasons that it is a 'MUST' win game against the Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2006 the Patriots lost the tie breaker with the Colts for HFA in the AFCCG. Winning on Sunday gives them head to head advantages over Indy, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and San Diego (though I doubt SD catches the Pats record-wise). That will be huge should it come down to NE and one of the other division winners for the second best record in the conference.

If the Pats beat the Jets at Foxboro and all else remains equal, you're right. Somehow with all the struggles the Jets have had the last three weeks - against the Packers, Lions and Browns - I don't see the Jets going unscathed in the Pats-Steelers-Dolphins trifecta coming up in December.

I wish the Texans and Bungles hadn't turned into such losers - the Jets get a couple of easy ones the next two weeks.

Agreed!! I just don't see the Pats going undefeated the rest of the way though. Either Chicago (tough D and playing out there after a Monday night here w/Jets) or Green Bay (despite injuries one of the best QB/teams in the NFL) is going to beat 'em...which is OK if they take care of business within the conference.
Losing to an NFC team only hurts with the won/loss.
Losing to an AFC team (already have 2 losses in conference) not only hurts the won/loss but really hurts them when it comes to tie breakers vis-a-vis the Jets.
If the Pats can win out with their remaining AFC schedule I think they're in great shape to win the division and get a bye even if they do lose to a Green Bay or Chicago. I think the Jets will lose a couple of those games in December.

With seven games left and so many teams in the AFC with only 2-3 losses, every game is a must game from here on out.

Every game is a must win because that's the only way to placate the naysayers and chicken littles in the fan base and save the message board from imploding...

Zolak told a good story the week before the Browns game, talking about how coaches each have certain teams they get up for. For Parcells, he said, it was the Colts. Zolak said it was hard to figure but every time the Colts game came up Tuna would go into a tirade: I hate their logo, they have a stupid indoor stadium parked in the middle of a shopping center in a nothing downtown. Pretty funny.

Every game is a must win because that's the only way to placate the naysayers and chicken littles in the fan base and save the message board from imploding...

This message board could never implode with pinkhatted pom poms like yourself around. :D

To the OP 'PATRIOTSFANINPA': In the spirit of full disclosure, LOSER, you should alert readers of your prediction for the Pats/Steelers game? As in Pittsburgh 34-17?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...contest-week-10-ne-pit-page7.html#post2335189

STOP ACTING INNOCENT OF SUCH BS.
I thought you put me on ignore, Piss-ant?

What are you like 12?

Yeah,I got the game wrong Moron,how many have you nailed correct this season?

Now go back to your room like mom sent you to for being a bad boy and put me back on ignore when you get there.

Last edited:
I thought you put me on ignore, Piss-ant?

What are you like 12?

Yeah,I got the game wrong Moron,how many have you nailed correct this season?

Now go back to your room like mom sent you to for being a bad boy and put me back on ignore when you get there.

Please stop quoting idiots like that - I have them ignored, but when someone quotes them, the board doesn't ignore the quote, so I get exposed to the stupidity.... :)

If we win this game and then win the division there is a very good chance that we will have homefield advantage for the playoff's with a young team like this it would be very helpful.

I want the raod to the SB to go through Foxboro.

That sums it up.
This young team would grow up immensely with any playoff experience, but I think the safe confines of Gillette would lend itself to a much better showing - unless we pull another effort like the WC game vs. Baltimore.

We have to beat this team period!!I think we have loss the last couple of times to them.Its a home game.The matchup is different.The colts have a better OL.I just hope our d can make Manning uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Its safe to say that this year is a year that Manning has his worst set of receivers considered as a whole

Wayne is still great but then you have Garcon who is up and down and the others who are nothing special.

No more Clark to worry about so the gameplan will surely be different this time around.

IMO this is a talented but still the weakest Indy team we have played up against in a long time and Hart and J. James are not exactly Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James.

This game will not be easy but it certainly is not the same dynamic Colts team we usually see yearly.

I expect a very close game with a game decided in the 20s - This won't be a 'team that has the ball last wins' game IMO

Last edited:
Get off to a good start and we will win the game.Dont fall behind.I hope we stick to the run.Hope this offense can stay in a rhythm.

How about...

because it's Peyton Manning and the Colts.

It always is good to beat them, amnd it sucks when we lose to them.

but the most impoprtant reason is not to let the Jets get up a game on us. We can beat them and even the head to head tiebreaker when we play them.

Nothing hurts worse than a loss to the Colts...because it means so much. A loss to the NYJ sucks, but at least we play them twice a year.

To this day, the 2006 AFCCG is the worst loss I have stomached. I am not saying that to set up a comparison of gut punches in comparing 2006 vs. 2007.

Next Jets game is certainly a must win. Going to places like SD or even Indy for a wildcard game seems like a real uphill road. Now this game is close to a must win but not quite.

A 7-2 team is in a must win situation right now?

Yes.If your dreaming high about getting one of the byes then it is.You wanna be able to own tie-breakers if you end up with the same record.

At 7-2 there is no real crucial do or die game,but this week presents a special couple of reasons why the Patriots MUST beat the Colts this weekend.

1) THE OBVIOUS .....7-2 to get to 8-2 and at least a tie for the best record would be nice and send the Colts to 6-4 and fight for the South Division lead.

2) THE STREAK ..... Tom Brady would tie the hated Brett Favre at 25 Consecutive Home Games Winning Streak

3) THE 'OTHER' BEST QB IN THE NFL ..... We already lost our last home game to two hated things that most of us dislike as a Pats fan 1) Eric Mangini 2) The New York Jets - The HC and team both beat us in that miserable swampy mess in the late season of 2006,the last home loss with Brady starting before this winning streak and we can't let another dislikable duo 1) Peyton Manning 2) Bill Polian's Colts end this streak,we just can't let the Colts be the team that ends it.

Any other reasons we HAVE to beat the Colts this weekend other than my offerings?
If we dont they move into a tie with us and will hold the tiebreaker

The only must win games are playoff games. Edit: or win and get in games.
It depends on what you mean by 'must win'.
I think a game that will determine a bye or homefield is as or more important that a make or dont make the playoffs game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back