Welcome to PatsFans.com

Realtor Takes Lives By Firing Her Own Weapon To Kill Non-Psychotic Non-Shooter

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jul 26, 2014.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

I guess if it's news when someone is a "gun hero" because he "fires his own weapon" at a shooter, it is also news when someone "fires her own weapon" at a non-shooter.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/loca...ty-murder-suicide-two-realtors-dead/13009535/

Since it is news when someone fires their weapon and takes a life, let's discuss.

PFnV

2. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

Interestingly, I was able to find another story of a gun death simply shooting someone, also dating from the last few days. This one also needs a thread of its own, since there are a completely different set of circumstances.

http://blog.pe.com/breaking-news/2014/07/20/jurupa-valley-2-hospitalized-in-shooting/
    This incident too is full of fascinating details. Let's discuss it for several pages.

PFnV

3. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

In the spirit of separate threads for separate shootings, as established for the comparative rarity of a shooting actually saving someone's life, here's the third of my new threads of the day.

I'd like to underscore that although they all involved shootings, they are also fascinating in their individual details, and should be left to stand on their own merits.

http://www.newsweek.com/man-slaughters-6-family-members-houston-area-shooting-258224

Let's discuss this case. The non-shooters seem not to have done anything meriting their deaths, but the shooter killed them anyway. This does not seem to have saved any lives.

Since shooting loved once is far more representative of gun use than firing in self-defense at another shooter, the natural reaction, I am sure, will be a lengthy and serious discussion of the moral lesson of this individual incident.

PFnV

4. anditsgood

anditsgood Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

Here are some other facts. The United States has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world — by far. And it has the highest rate of homicides among advanced countries. And yet, gun crime has been declining in the U.S. Firearm murders are down, as is overall gun violence – even as gun ownership increases. Read our Analysis for more insight on what these statistics mean.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhetoric-vs-gun-facts/

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +770 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

E
    Yeah...and then there's this:

Read More: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301409?journalCode=ajph

7. Boogs

Boogs 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +284 / 9 / -5

The gun is guilty. Forks make people fat.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +770 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

I think it's fascinating that this is "obviously a domestic situation," according to the Constable, which is all the explanation we get.

There's no information in the article about any precursors to the shooting.

However we have a vast number of shootings to think about, and this is one. A guy kills 6 people when things don't go his way. Some huge proportions of shootings are "domestic incidents" like this one.

So, apparently he'd shot nobody before, he was just a regular guy with a gun. Then the low point came.

I know when I'm stressed I do different things. One recent example about myself was, I gained a bunch of weight recently when stressed, which I'm now losing.

Yes, I too have had less-than-stellar domestic situations. I have left the house, feeling like shit, and gone to the local bar to not hear a screaming chick, and I have had women storm out of the house for similar reasons. And yeah, I have dealt with a cheater. Once. Still didn't feel the need to put hands on her, never mind use a weapon.

But this appears to be a regular guy, with a gun, in a stressful situation. Different result.

Of course, some men are abusers - hell, some women are. So there are details to every situation.

But we don't even know that he's got a history of abuse. All we know is that a guy under stress with a gun shot people he knew very well. It is the most common way you're likely to use a gun.

So, why no discussion of "regular guy snaps"?

PFnV

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

Oh nonsense, Boogs. The woman shot the other realtor, then shot herself. Murder-suicide is a very common gun-murder scenario.

So sure, there are lots of horses in the U.S., therefore, we only do Wild Kingdom specials on zebras.

But in terms of American life, the horses are way more important.

Do you see anything in the story to indicate that we should have expected her to use her gun to shoot the other realtor or herself? Is there something about the other realtor that's innately threatening, that she needed to defend herself against?

This is the most common scenario: You shoot somebody who you do not have to defend yourself against.

So, is there something about this shooting that makes it a heroic act?

PFnV

11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,468 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Interesting...

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

That seems to be what is happening, even Mr & Mrs Obama are silent, very strange,

13. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +1,468 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

What is your proposal, PF? Can you come to the point?

14. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +1,468 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

The point? The solution? I already know the solution you have in mind, but let's have it out again. Or are we tired of beating each other senseless about an issue on which we won't agree?

15. Boogs

Ratings:
    +284 / 9 / -5

Pencils misspell words.

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

Her boyfriend should have had a gun.

Advice To The New Generation:
    If your shacking up and your partner owns a gun it would be wise for you to get a gun, keep it under your pillow.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  17. Boogs

Ratings:
    +284 / 9 / -5

And don't shack up with crazy girls. And if you do, you better treat her right.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

Have your girlfriend pass a "Mental Background Test" before moving in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

The discussion of stress and guns leads me to a question for any knowledgeable gun owners.

Let's say I own a gun -- it's something I've considered in the past but never decided to do. If I'm having a hard time with something in my life and conclude that it's bad for me to have a gun handy -- because of I fear what I might do to somebody I know or to myself in a moment of anger or grief -- can I temporarily turn it over to the police for safekeeping and still get it back at a later time when things are better? and not have to fear that my decision could harm me in other ways (custody / divorce proceedings, etc.)?

Kind of random, I realize, but I'm curious in case anybody knows.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

The guy you describe shouldn't have a gun he should realize that himself.
    I had a Concealed Carry Permit for years when I hit 80 I let the permit run out and gave the gun to one of my sons.
    I was afraid that I may take it out some day to look at it then drop it causing it to discharge sending a bullet into my stomach.
    Old People Drop Things

A sane person who is also a gun owner should "know themselves" a smart sensible gun owner knowing they have a bad temper or short fuse should get rid of the gun, being sane he should realize that.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014