Welcome to PatsFans.com

Really make me mad!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Ilikehappyppl, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

This is happening regularly now, unfortunately. I'll take "small government" Republicans and "Tea Partiers" seriously when they move past taxes and even spending and start addressing real infringements on civil liberties.

Require somebody to have health insurance and some folks act as if it's the greatest injustice one could face. Yet we have this guy and many others facing prosecution for these unjustifiable laws and others like them, and we don't hear a peep.

It's bad enough for police to arrest somebody under these trumped up charges. But for the prosecutors to have such poor judgment as to actually prosecute? and to seek those kinds of penalties?

I mentioned him recently in another thread, but read Radley Balko, his blog and Reason (magazine) if you want to see how often these kinds of police state tactics are occcurring.

3. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -30

#24 Jersey

That takes away from his 1st amendment rights. The police are civil servants. They work for us. We can videotape anything the cops do!! Thats the problem with big government. Remember a Government that can give you everything can easily take everything away from you!!

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Not sure that it is the problem with big government, the problem is over zealous police who have gotten emboldened under the guise of domestic security. Their actions over and over again have been validated by the press and the courts.

5. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I'm curious how Illinois or any other state defends those kinds of laws while also defending any form of warrant-less police surveillance, traffic cameras, etc. It basically implies privacy rights in public.

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Radley Balko is great, and so is Reason. The most disappointing thing about the Tea Party movement IMO has been that it didn't really advance real libertarian thought (as I was hoping it would). It's just this kind of shallow version that only focuses on taxes. Coherent libertarian philosophy is about so much more than taxes. So, as usual in this country, we have a dumbed-down version of something so that people can make soundbites out of it.

7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

What if this law stood in the Rodney King video. L.A. would still be burning.

8. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

http://www.universalhub.com/2011/cou...ng-police-offi

Thank you US Court system

9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

That's because the tea party doesn't really care about small government. it's just a buzzword for them and some Republicans. They care about lower taxes. Some care about lower spending. Many want fewer regulations on businesses, but they still love regulations on people.

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +465 / 12 / -14

Well the governor and legislature is controlled so what do the partisans do?

Blame the Tea Party!

Typical.

Relative to the destruction of the economy and real unemployment ~ 16% this isn't a top line issue currently. I do think that citizens have a right to record their own activity and what is happening in public places.

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

It's not the tea party's fault, which you'd understand if you were able to look past your partisan lenses and read what was actually written.

Typical.

The tea party and Republicans were brought up because they are the ones who lie about wanting "small government." They don't want small government. They're full of sh*t, they just want lower taxes.

They aren't responsible for this, though -- these laws are on the Republicans and Democrats who have been in office, put these laws in place (or let them stay in place) and enforce them.

And even if you don't want to think so, this is a "topline" issue. What good is a job if you don't have your liberty?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +465 / 12 / -14

The gov and legislature are controlled by dems, they administer the law in Illinois are dems take your beef to them, not the Tea Party.

13. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

For what it's worth.

This issue of filming public employees in public places is not a democrat Vs Republican issue or debate.

In my mind this is a constitutional issue, the public should not have to petition there representatives to fix it.

These laws have been on the books in most all states for a long long time, maybe at one time they served a purpose, and there for went uncontested.

It is up to the courts to protect citizens from encroachments on there constitutional birth rites.

It's a new world with new technologies, my blood boils when I see that law enforcement can record citizens with out reproach but do not let the citizens film and audio record them in public settings.

1st amendment allows us to memorialize activities in public places, the 4th amendment protects us from having our possessions (film/recording devices) taken from us.

The constitution and the bill of rights are what sets this country apart, the words in them are sheer poetry of justice.

14. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I was only speaking of the Tea Party in a general sense, that I was disappointed in the movement overall. Am I glad that someone out there is rallying for smaller government? Absolutely. But I think don't think that really know what know what the entails. For example, that means reduced defense spending along with reduced entitlement spending. They also need to be more thoughtful about the stands they take. Caterwauling about not raising the spending cap, as another example, was the wrong outlet for them to take a stand. Spending needs to be reduced, but our country is cruising at 200 mph; you don't jam on the brakes (by not increasing the spending cap)... you have to be more strategic than that.

Anyway, I disappointed in both parties at this point. The Tea Party just let me down personally because it could have been a more thoughtful movement IMO.

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +465 / 12 / -14

The compromise didn't cut any spending this year, do you believe that there ws nothing in 3,600 Billion that couldn't have been cut this year?

Do you think the cuts will actually happen in the future?

I don't.

Dealing with government is the top priority right now, now local laws.

16. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,505 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I do agree with this general idea, but the two most high profile cases along these lines have occurred in states that have long been Democratic strongholds (Maryland and Illinois). I think you'll see people seize on that idea if it'll score some partisan political points.

100% agree. Great post overall!

17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Wow dude, the tea party? :confused2:

This just went through the mass courts I think and the cops charged were overturned. Also, I believe a federal appeals court also ruled that filming police in public is constitutionally protected. Of course, if the cops see you filming them, they will confiscate your phone and either delete or destroy it. So you better hope someone else is filming them do that as well. :D

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I think you're full of sh*t. :p As a proud tea party patriot, I want small government. You just don't like the tea party.

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Learn to read.

20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I'm sure you and some others do. Just like some Republicans do. But show me when any "tea party" politician starts trying to reduce regulations on people rather than just corporations. When they start repealing unnecessary laws limiting individuals' rights. When they start doing away with victimless crimes.

I don't like any party, because I think political parties are mostly full of sh*t. Are any tea party pols doing anything I alluded to above?

Who's the leading tea party candidate right now -- Bachmann? Does she want the government out of marriage? Does she want to legalize pot? Going back to another recent thread, does she want to legalize gambling and get the government out of the lottery?