Welcome to PatsFans.com

Really liking our physicality (and other observations)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by KontradictioN, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,033 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

Well, being that I'm not in the New England region or the city of Philadelphia I have just gotten the chance to check out the first half. Here are a couple of things I'd like to comment on...

1. We were pretty physical. Offensively, our line was getting a good push against what is a pretty solid Eagles defensive line. You wouldn't know it by the running lanes, but Brady was afforded very good protection tonight and could have been able to make a sandwich back there and still be able to deliver the ball on time. On defense, we were pushing the Eagles' OL around like they were a pop warner squad. Jason Peters is pretty much our *****. On top of that, every Philadelphia receiver that caught the ball in the first half was subjected to punishing hits. You could hear them and also see their effects judging by the amount of Eagles that got dinged up. Good stuff all in all.

2. Edelman is a beast. I'm pretty sure that everyone here that actually saw the game and has been following TC knows this. I haven't yet had the pleasure to attend TC and probably won't, so this was my first glimpse of #11 and I like what I see. Very fast, good explosion, shifty, and has a good pair of hands. Combined with his throwing abilities, this guy should be a secret weapon in our offense this year.

3. Maroney was not afforded a lot of running room. By my count, Maroney ran it six times when he was in. One of those times he bounced off his own man (I believe it was Matt Light) who was out in front trying to block for him. Others, it seemed as if Philly saw the offensive in an I-Formation and stacked the box. I had read about the dancing earlier and tried to watch for myself. While there were a couple of times where he danced in the backfield when he could have just gone straight forward and picked up a couple of yards, there were other times where the hole that he was supposed to run through would be plugged by the defense forcing him to try to shift and find a different hole. The one time when the defense wasn't expecting the run, Maroney was able to pick up a pretty good burst through the hole for five yards (the draw play). I was suprised that they didn't use him in the passing game more often as well.

4. Joey Galloway needs to get in tune with Brady. Galloway was one of the guys that I was most excited to see before tonight. However, it looks like he and Brady still need to get in sync. By my count, Brady threw to him twice. One through was off either because Brady threw it behind him or Galloway was too far ahead in a timing route. Considering Brady's history with us, I'll blame it on Galloway. :D The second chance he got, the throw was dead on but the ball bounced off of Galloway's hands. He needs to make that catch, especially considering how long he has been in the league.

5. This is about as rusty as we are going to see Brady... and that's a good thing. I thought Brady looked almost like his old self tonight. He still needs some fine tuning but if I didn't know what happened last year and had to judge him just based on tonight, I would think that he's a pretty damn good quarterback. I had two main concerns when it came to Brady coming off the injury. The first was how he was going to handle pressure. Thanks to the stellar pass blocking tonight, he rarely had to encounter pressure. But the few times he did, Brady looked great (especially on that 35 yarder to Moss where he side stepped the pressure and made a great throw). The second was his deep ball. By my count he threw three deep balls tonight. The first was to Moss which would have been a sure touchdown had Asante not interfered. That throw was RIGHT on the money. The second he put WAY too much air under the throw causing the interception. He was pissed off at himself and I have to think that he put that much air under it either because of rust or because the coverage on Moss was so tight that he didn't want to zing it to him and instead wanted to put it up there for Moss to grab. We'll never know but he'll get it worked out. The third throw wasn't really "deep" when compared to his other two throws, but it was right in Moss' hands. Perfect pass and a great way to escape the pressure as I said before. Brady looks hungry and I expect that he's going to have a phenomenal year.

----------------------

I know that I'm going to get roasted by a few of you when I say this but I don't give a damn. I'm aware that this is only the first preseason game and the team still has a lot of work to do, but I have a great feeling about this year. Last year, before the season started, I didn't quite have that feeling. As a matter of fact, before the Chiefs game, I had a queasy feeling in my stomach but just dismissed it as diarrhea from the bean dip. Now I think that feeling might have been justified. Last year, I worried about the defense (specifically the secondary), the lack of a bonafied #2 receiver opposite Moss, and relative age in our LB corps. This year, the only worry I had going in was how Brady would react. Tonight a lot of fears subsided for me. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing great things from the team this year. For now, I will take it one game at a time. So here's to good health and similar results for next week! :D :eat3:

2. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Re: Really liking our physicality (and other observations).

a lot of people are going to compare him to welker, but im thinking maybe more like randle el. obviously its early, but clearly hes a decent player....

3. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,033 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

Yeah. He's a steal for where we drafted him at. And he's supposedly a very hard worker too. If the second part is true, it shows.

4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +989 / 72 / -55

#50 Jersey

Maroney was rusty also.. though not nearly as tentative as he was at the beginning of last year. People forget that he's coming back from a pretty major injury as well.

5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,033 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

I've separated my shoulder a couple of times and couldn't imagine playing through that, much less what he went through. The man is tough.

6. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +989 / 72 / -55

#50 Jersey

People are comparing him to Welker because of how shifty he is coming out of the slot... He runs his routes almost identically to Welker and he's got good running after the catch ability..

I think that the kid is well on his way to earning a spot on the roster.. Its going to be interesting to wee how it plays out. (yes, I am tempering my enthusiasm for the kid... :cool: )

7. TheComeback

TheComeback 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I agree about Maroney. The Oline did a pretty poor job of opening up holes for him in the run game. It doesn't help that the offense seems to tip off the run to the defense every time he's in the backfield.

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that brady transmits the run to the D by stretching the ball out so quickly after the snap. I didn't notice this problem as much with Cassel. I'd really like to see this team run more and run better this year because passing on every down in 2007 slowed us down bigtime late in the year

8. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,033 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

Yeah. Unless it's a trick play or a play action pass, that might be the one thing that Brady consistently does poorly. It's almost like the Dan Marino syndrome where Brady stretches out as far as possible... almost as if he's afraid he's going to get the ball to the runner a little too slow.

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

Noticed that our DB's were much more agressive, and the hits were noticable.. there seem to be a "lot" of quality DB's and a great combination of experienced vs. young guys...

Patrick Chung is as advertised, he also surprised me with his quickness...

10. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Great post, Kontra.

11. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

Good post Kdawg

I'm a bit concerned with the run blocking or lack thereof, but other than that I share your excitement for this year. Only true worry is another catastrophic injury(ies). Wilhite and Guyton could be quality starters the rest of their years here. I have a good feeling about Chung. This defense is, maybe not better than 2003 but the deepest one in the BB era. Offense is the same story. Can't mention Edelman enough times, hopefully we have found a new PR and #4 WR.

12. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

I'm not sure why there's a line under where I wrote PR. Oh yeah how great is our Dline depth

13. Lord_Reginald_III

Lord_Reginald_III Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

what about pryor? big boy was in on quite a few plays. think he had a sack too.

14. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +382 / 69 / -51

No Jersey Selected

1) What bothers me about Maroney is that his vision is poor. On the very first series, he had a chance to bounce to the outside for a possible big gain (think Antowain Smith & Corey Dillon); instead, he just plowed ahead for nothing. The end result: 3 & Out. During another 1st-quarter series, LaMa had a chance to one-cut up the middle where a good lane had been created; instead, he kept stringing out until he got strung out. Not a good sign - at all.

2) Not having a true lead blocker is going to hurt us in short-yardage situations, unless our TEs learn to wham-block with the authority that Grahambo does.

On a side note, and I can't believe I'm writing this, but Brady should take a lesson from PayaTon, who fake-handoffs during their Stretch runs very, very well. He pulls back the ball at the last moment, so that I'm never quite sure whether the play is indeed a run, or a pass. The Pats, OTOH, let their intentions be known so early that the defense has time to adjust. They need to learn to pass from run formations - and sell it to the defense - as well as they run from pass formations. After all, if that horse-faced goober can do it, then why can't Our Tom?

On another side note, this is the reason why I despise Empty Backfield formations so much. Besides offering minimal protection behind an overrated OLine, it also gives the defense a lot less about which to worry. One of the Keys to a successful Offense is the ability to disguise its true intention by being able to execute different plays from the same formation, and - even better - by the same first steps.

15. JMarr

JMarr In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

Excellent analysis Kontra. But I fixed this part of your post for you:

"The first was to Moss which would have been a sure touchdown had Moss reached up and grabbed the damn ball instead of trying to decoy Asante. That throw was RIGHT on the money."

And I had the same feeling as you did last year prior to the KC game. I thought we looked unusually lethargic during the P.S. last year and I was concerned about Brady's foot/ankle and why he didn't take a single snap in the preseason.

16. BradyManny

BradyManny Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -1

I think your observations are spot on and I agree with all of them, especially re: Brady, Maroney, Edelman.

It's time to start using Maroney in more passing situations if he can handle it. On the flip side, when you have Kevin Faulk, I guess you think, why bother? Maroney clearly hasn't earned the right to take away those snaps from Faulk. But as I said in another thread, perhaps the only thing stopping Maroney from being consistently a top-flight RB is he's one-dimensional at this point in time.

17. BradyManny

BradyManny Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -1

I agree - I almost started a thread on this issue. I have never knocked Moss before, but he's gotta go back to highpointing some of these balls instead of getting them in stride. Sometimes coverage is just too damn tight.

18. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,033 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

A three wide formation with Moss, Welker, and Galloway/Edelman (hey, it's not out of the question that he could jump up and take that third spot from Galloway depending on the situation) with a backfield of Brady, Faulk, and Maroney would own IMO. However, and I'll admit to not having the best memory, I cannot remember the last time we went shotguy with two RBs in the backfield. Perhaps someone can refresh my memory on this one?

19. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,033 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

I loved that bull rush he put on the million dollar man, Jason Peters. There was a couple of times where he disrupted the play just because of his ability to get into the backfield so quickly.

20. sieglo

sieglo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0

Funny, it seemed like back in 2003 the play action fake was a real strength for Brady. But I agree now it's not disguised enough.

Would like to see Maroney used more in the passing game as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.