PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Really Good Minicamp Recap on Patriots.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its only mini camp but this sounded like it turned out pretty good with the exception of Warfield. The three pieces of news I'm most pleased with is that Hobbs, Caldwell and Gostwowski looked pretty good out out there. Ofcourse the news on Jackson and Maroney is good too. :rocker:

Thanks, really good article.

Training Camp 28th July. That's a very long time away. NFL Head Coach will have to keep me going until then :)

Reads like a report from a team's official website. ;)

Joking aside, sounds like lots of positives. If this rookie crop is even 1/2 as good as they are looking now, its going to be a good year.

Jackson is the one that excites me. I like Caldwell fine but Jackson could be a stud and he's passed all the tests with flying colors so far.

PhilD said:
Thanks, really good article.

Training Camp 28th July. That's a very long time away. NFL Head Coach will have to keep me going until then :)
Word I cant wait to get that.

I've been waiting and waiting since we lost to the Broncos for this new season, I'm glad I have summer to keep me busy till it begins.

I appreciated the observations and the opinions in this article.

But, Mr Casale, you really should learn (and apply) the difference between "compliment" (to convey esteem) and "complement" (to be an appropriate partner to). It's good to be a professional, even on the Internet.

I enjoyed the recap, especially his comments about the secondary. I love Hobbs and Sanders. I really wouldn't call the guy unprofessional because one word was used wrong. There are mistakes like that in the Globe every single day. I would call him unprofessional if he told us Johnathan Sullivan was fat because he has a big head. ;)

yes, it sounds good about the rookies. It would be nice if the offense can carry the team certain Sundays. I am tired of too many 4th quarter close nail biting games when we have to rely on the D to clinch the victory. If we have better luck this year on our FA pickups, we could raise the Lombardi once again. It always baffles me - why do BB and SP do so well on day one draft picks, yet sometimes miss terribly on FA pickups. I would think that with so much more game tape on FA - especially at the pro level - it would be easier to pick FA with a higher degree of certainty. I know the Pats system has something to do with it - but then again - that should also apply to the draft as well.

More confirmation of everything I was thinking. Andrews will make the team as secondary depth and as a return man, Sanders and Watson will have breakout seasons, Hobbs is going to be a big time player soon, and the rookie class is going to be a huge success. I really hope this carries over to the season, because the 4th ring will be in the pipe if it does.

SunnyDenmark:

I've wondered why the Pats seem to draft really good compared to free agency, as well.

My theory is that Belichick gets involved in the draft more and Pioli plays a numbers game in free agency. I have watched them bring in dozens of free agents off the street each camp, and none of them make the roster except the one or two whose name you recognized. I really think that they give anyone a chance in free agency, but treat the draft with great care and respect, on the other hand.

I think that they look at drafting as a 'must be right' situation, and the free agency as a limitless supply of cheap training camp fodder.

But they have had some obvious free agent screw ups, like Duane Starks, and before him, Tommy Knight (another Arizona cornerback who got a nice signing bonus and was cut). Or trading a 3rd round pick for Andre Starks (ouch!).

I was happy that Andrews appears to be really good at returning punts/kicks.

Would be nice not to waste a draft pick!

Reminds me of my visits to training camp. Insightful reports on the skill positions but it's really really hard to evaluate OL, DL and LB unless they do obvious things wrong. Mostly you just look at whether they're on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd teams.

what about the others?

Lots of kind words for the day 1 picks and even Andrews but of O'Callahan and Mincey...not a whisper. I hope they emeregge come training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes