PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reality on Cassel sets in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: reality on cassel sets in.......

I'm not making knee-jerk reactions.......

I have stated from the first moment that the pats are better off with o'connell

and no, cassel is not the only problem, but the comparisons to brady are ridiculous......don't even go there

how doyou know they are better of with o'connell. ? how much have u seen o'connell play this season ?? We lost a game due to bonehead plays and agianst a good defense and suddenly all these threads start ? if this isnt knee jerk what is ? why didnt you start this thread earlier in the week that cassel will suck on sunday since he isnt good against decent defenses and o'connell is better?
i apologize if iam sounding harsh but iam pissed with some of the posts after a loss. from 'reality sets in ' to 'if we lose the next 4 games..' threads :(

and yet you interject with your .02........thx for your opinion, the dunce caps are over tehre

I'm sure you're very familiar with the location of the dunce caps.

Cassel was pretty good other than the dropped passes and the "have to" throws in the 4th quarter.

Bingo. Change those drops to completions (okay, don't count all THREE Moss TDs in a single series [including off the deflection]), and his stats look a lot better.

caldwell.jpg

Use The Force, Randy!

how doyou know they are better of with o'connell. ? how much have u seen o'connell play this season ?? We lost a game due to bonehead plays and agianst a good defense and suddenly all these threads start ? if this isnt knee jerk what is ? why didnt you start this thread earlier in the week that cassel will suck on sunday since he isnt good against decent defenses and o'connell is better?
i apologize if iam sounding harsh but iam pissed with some of the posts after a loss. from 'reality sets in ' to 'if we lose the next 4 games..' threads :(

I actually got to watch alot of o'connell play for SDSU, and he went to high school in the town my main office is located (carlsbad,ca).......prior to this board, I had been bemoaning cassel ever since brady went down on ESPN.....cassel should have been cut last summer.....the pats are just lucky to have gotten some things out of him so that they may get something for him in the end

make no mistake he is much much close to volek than any of the other QB's who had back to back 400 yard games

Cassel was fine in the first half until the team collapsed in the second half. It was not Cassel's fault Moss dropped two passes (one that would have been a touchdown and one that would end up killing a good 1st quarter drive). Blame the kicker for missing an easy field goal that would have put the Pats up 13-10 at the half. Blame Slater handing the Steelers great field position with his muffed kickoff. I said this in '06 when people were hyping up the Jets win at Gillette, it's a fluke game because of the rain. For some reason, the Pats don't play very well in the rain. Everyone thought the Pats were figured out by Mangini but the Pats went all the way to the AFCCG. Again, the Pats were outplaying the Steelers until the 2nd half collapse that started with the dropped touchdown catch in the 1st half and the missed field goal to end the first half. I'm not worried about this loss. If there wasn't any rain, the Pats win easily. However, the defense was pathetic as usual.

Last edited:

Cassel was pretty good other than the dropped passes and the "have to" throws in the 4th quarter.

Cassel was not pretty good. A number of passes were well off. Sure, there were dropped balls - some of them dropped interceptions. But he's not protecting the ball when he's in the pocket and his accuracy is erractic.

someone has to point them out to the likes of you

I'm sure it's easy enough for you to point to your head, where they are doubtlessly located most of the time.

I have stated from the first moment that the pats are better off with o'connell

You mean you've been wrong from the first moment? That's a really ridiculous opinion that flies in the face of the facts. Cassel has played incredibly well; it's hard to imagine a rookie QB playing better (despite the mediocre performance today).

I'm sure it's easy enough for you to point to your head, where they are doubtlessly located most of the time.

did you come up with your signature all by yourself? seems like you've been in that point since day one

Cassel was not pretty good. A number of passes were well off. Sure, there were dropped balls - some of them dropped interceptions. But he's not protecting the ball when he's in the pocket and his accuracy is erractic.
After today's game, the trade Brady crowd can crawl back under a rock.

You mean you've been wrong from the first moment? That's a really ridiculous opinion that flies in the face of the facts. Cassel has played incredibly well; it's hard to imagine a rookie QB playing better (despite the mediocre performance today).

talk to joe flacco and matt ryan

talk to joe flacco and matt ryan

From NFL.com, Passer rating (I don't know if it includes today):

Cassel 90.5
Ryan 88.3
Flacco 82.3

From NFL.com, Passer rating (I don't know if it includes today):

Cassel 90.5
Ryan 88.3
Flacco 82.3

No, it doesn't. And it will definitely go down as a result of this clunker. . . but he's got a few chances to raise it back up. :)

cassel wasn't that bad today. even brady had bad games like this. the team was competitive in the first half and alot could be attributed to drops.

the third quarter the train came off the tracks and there was no getting back on.

The Pittsburgh Steelers defense has made the best QB's in this league look pretty mediocre, that and a frozen hail storm and more dropped passes didn't help things. Matt will finish real strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
So to sum it up - you've always said that Cassel sucks and you love O'Connel because of all the wonderful things he's done in HS and college; and now that the pats got trounced you're here to let everyone know you where right? Did you post the same thing after Cassel shredded the Jets two weeks ago? After he dismantled the Phins? After he turned in a solid performance against the Colts?

Cassel got man handled by Steelers rushers in the second half, no doubt..but lets maybe look to 72 a bit about that. And the drops, the bone headed penalties that turned every good run back into average field position, the slater muff...the defense that on the whole dissappeared after halftime...Cassel was a very minor part of the problem today.

oh and I have a newsflash for you - if O'Connell gave the Pats a better chance to win he'd be on the field and Cassel would be on the bench. It doesn't matter how much YOU know about him, the Pats front office and coaching staff knows MORE. I'm not saying he won't be a good NFL QB, he could very well be, but right NOW Cassel represents the Pats best chance to win...if he didn't he wouldn't be on the field.

So to sum it up - you've always said that Cassel sucks and you love O'Connel because of all the wonderful things he's done in HS and college; and now that the pats got trounced you're here to let everyone know you where right? Did you post the same thing after Cassel shredded the Jets two weeks ago? After he dismantled the Phins? After he turned in a solid performance against the Colts?

Cassel got man handled by Steelers rushers in the second half, no doubt..but lets maybe look to 72 a bit about that. And the drops, the bone headed penalties that turned every good run back into average field position, the slater muff...the defense that on the whole dissappeared after halftime...Cassel was a very minor part of the problem today.

oh and I have a newsflash for you - if O'Connell gave the Pats a better chance to win he'd be on the field and Cassel would be on the bench. It doesn't matter how much YOU know about him, the Pats front office and coaching staff knows MORE. I'm not saying he won't be a good NFL QB, he could very well be, but right NOW Cassel represents the Pats best chance to win...if he didn't he wouldn't be on the field.

hilarious......bledsoe was on the field until mo lewis railed him.........guess that was part of the BB plan, right?

you give yourself way too much credit...........

if the pats felt so great about cassel, they would not have used a 3rd rounder on o'connell (which also happens to be the highest pick BB has ever used on a QB)

what does cassel give the pats the chance to win? you need to sober up if you think the SB is in any way realistic......IF, and right now, its a very big IF since the pats no longer control their destiny, they make the playoffs, they will most likely lose their first game........and when that happens, the pats return to having zero experience behind brady

hilarious......bledsoe was on the field until mo lewis railed him.........guess that was part of the BB plan, right?

Media memebers that followed the team have stated that Brady would have supplanted Bledsoe within a couple weeks even without the Mo Lewis hit. Brady was in his second year and was learning the system, as soon as he knew enough to play in real games BB was putting him in and benching Bledsoe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey