PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reality bites

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Phil Simms discussed before the game about the Chargers attitude - one of supreme confidence.

At the end of the game, Norv Turner was interviewed and the pain was very evident. In response to questions, he said that they believed they were going to win the game.

I think the overconfidence of the Chargers is a real detriment to the team. Yes, it's good to believe in yourselves. However, if carried too far, this belief in yourself means that you don't give appropriate credit and respect to the opponents.

The Chargers trash talk and - what's worse - they believe their trash talk. They really think that they're the best team in the NFL even when they don't produce on the field. That's why LdT can say the day after losing to the Patriots, "if we played them 10 times, we'd win 9" - and then repeat it the day before a blowout loss.

They still haven't learned. Their opponents are good. The Chargers can't beat everybody by just showing up. They actually have to play a great game - on offense, defense and special teams. Their defense played well holding the Patriots to 21. But, at the end, their defense couldn't stop the Patriots from getting first down after first down to ice the game.
Their special teams were mediocre at best. Their offense couldn't score a TD in the red zone. That adds up to a loss - a rather convincing loss since they played a team that is really good even though the Patriots made plenty of mistakes of their own.

So, the Chargers are devastated again. Will they learn something from it this time? They say you learn more from a loss than a win. The Chargers have proved clueless after the previous 2 losses to the Patriots. Only time will tell if they really are a football team that "gets it".

Talk is cheap. But talk can be expensive when it reflects an underlying disconnect with reality. In this case, the San Diego Chargers just don't give enough credit to their opponents. It's not all about how San Diego plays; it's also about how their opponent (in this case the New England Patriots) play. The Patriots are champions both on the field and in their hearts - and they showed that again yesterday. The Chargers believe they're champions, but they haven't truly figured out what makes a champion.

You're focusing on a very few comments made by the Chargers during the week. The great majority of comments had nothing but respect for the Pats, and readily acknowledged their deserving status as the favorite.

The Chargers played just about as well as they could have yesterday, especially on D. It's their bad luck that they had a few key injuries for the game (and hey, that's football, so no excuse), and that they happen to be a great team at a time when probably the best of all time is playing.

Even if they are able to convert a few of those red zone plays into TD's, they probably still end up losing a close game. That's more a testament to how good the Pats are, and has little to do with how confident or over-confident the Chargers are.

You're focusing on a very few comments made by the Chargers during the week. The great majority of comments had nothing but respect for the Pats, and readily acknowledged their deserving status as the favorite.

The Chargers played just about as well as they could have yesterday, especially on D. It's their bad luck that they had a few key injuries for the game (and hey, that's football, so no excuse), and that they happen to be a great team at a time when probably the best of all time is playing.

Even if they are able to convert a few of those red zone plays into TD's, they probably still end up losing a close game. That's more a testament to how good the Pats are, and has little to do with how confident or over-confident the Chargers are.
I agree. Honestly I didnt like the Chargers based on some the comments but they showed up so gutsy and executed very well in spite of the "warm weather team" inspite of traveling so much. I would venture to say that the best 3 teams in the NFL could be Pats, Bolts and Jags in that order.

Earlier in the week, intending to compliment the Patriots, LT said, "Last year we didn't respect them" (before the playoff game). Really, LT? WHY NOT? That's a team that had won a TON of games and you and your team hadn't to that point (and now STILL haven't) won a damn thing.

LaDainian Tomlinson as "class act" and "smart player" has gotta be one of the biggest myths in sports.

Last edited:

I wasn't trying to focus on the comments so much (although the post may have come off that way), instead I was trying to focus on their attitude which has been reflected in their comments.

I think the Chargers are overconfident. I think because of that, they don't recognize their weaknesses or the opponent's strengths in the way that they should and that hurts them on the field when the games are played.

They weren't playing Peyton Manning yesterday who usually (but not always) comes up small on big drives in the 4th quarter. They were playing the New England Patriots led by Tom Brady who almost always make the plays that need to be made at the critical time.

It's my belief that the Chargers don't prepare the way they should to some extent because they believe too much in themselves. The Patriots believe in themselves as well - but they are all too aware of all their shortcomings and the incredible amount of effort it takes to improve just a little bit. I don't see or hear that from the Chargers.

Did anybody else notice Norv morphing into Bill Parcells at the PC?
He seemed to be getting quite ornery with the press.
I found it amusing. :p

"They weren't playing Peyton Manning yesterday who usually (but not always) comes up small on big drives in the 4th quarter. They were playing the New England Patriots led by Tom Brady who almost always make the plays that need to be made at the critical time. "

That's a little too much mythologizing for me. Tom Brady got great running from Maroney to seal it yesterday, and 2 great catches, one on a pass thrown well behind the receiver.

If you want to compare it to Indy's game last week, the only difference is that Manning had a much better game overall, but doesn't get the running or great catches or help from his D to bail him out at the end.

I think you're off on this post. I think most Chargers felt they would need their best effort to beat a team like the Patriots. I don't think any of them underestimated Brady or any of the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes