PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Realistic player move suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know they're not common, but this a year I would really like to see BB make a move before the trade deadline. One guy I would like to see them target is Kerry Rhodes. He's a guy that made a lot of plays against the Pats when he was with the Jets. I know he's signed with AZ under a large contract, but I would like to think something could be worked out on that. The Cardinals are not going anywhere any time soon, they have Wilson and they drafted Rashad Johnson in the third round a couple years ago. The Cardinals didn't give up much in terms of draft picks to get him, so I don't think they could expect a huge amount in return for him now. I just think he is the type of play making vet the Pats could use in their secondary, and I think he's a competitive guy that would like to have a shot to win something. Maybe he'd even like the idea of playing against the team that shipped him out for a few years. What do you think?

He also reiterated that he thought safety Kerry Rhodes, now with Arizona, was talented but didn’t make football a priority.

“I said he was a flashy, Hollywood-type because that’s Kerry, and I have no problem with that,” he said. “All I want them to do is give me everything you’ve got. … At the end of the day, I never thought he was giving everything he had to us.”
Rex Ryan's Book 'Play Like You Mean It' Hits Stores; Jets Coach Stands By Super Bowl Guarantee « CBS New York

Not a BB player.

That division was won with a 8-8 record last year. Unless they start out 1-5 to SFs 5-1 they will be in the race for that division.

Last edited:
This Kerry Rhodes? That's Maroney BTW running ..

maroney.gif

Sometimes I thnk that some fans think that trades in the NFL are similar to trades in MLB....

While I obviously don't see someone like Rhodes coming here, it would be nice to make some sort of move for a viable option at safety before the deadline. It's a serious need.

I had hopes for S.Brown, but he looked absolutely awful last week. It's like he doesn't realize that it's his job to defend the pass when it's in the air, and we've seen that multiple times a game now, every single week.

Besides Chung (who's also a major liability in coverage), the other guys suck too at the positon. I cannot figure out for the life of me why BB took one of the most talented and deepest positions on the team and instantly made it the weakest, in a matter of a month right before the season.

I actually had a similar thought the other day about this. Since in my opinion the safety position is our biggest hole on defense.

A name I kept coming back too even though his style might be redundant to Patrick Chung's is Brian Dawkins.

Bronco's aren't going anywhere, so he could be available for a late round pick.

Old, I understand, but would bring that veteran leader, steady presence to the back end. Still got some playmaker in him, and would bring a Rodney like attitude.

I know we probably need more of a free safety type, but I couldn't think of another that fit the intangibles I think we need back there better than him.

This is the first and lasting image I have when I think of Kerry Rhodes.

lol that was really a memorable play for you? Hard to believe maroney is already out of the league.

Last edited:
Kerry Rhodes sucks. Rex Ryan got rid of him because his ego was too big. And that is saying a lot.

While I obviously don't see someone like Rhodes coming here, it would be nice to make some sort of move for a viable option at safety before the deadline. It's a serious need.

I had hopes for S.Brown, but he looked absolutely awful last week. It's like he doesn't realize that it's his job to defend the pass when it's in the air, and we've seen that multiple times a game now, every single week.

Besides Chung (who's also a major liability in coverage), the other guys suck too at the positon. I cannot figure out for the life of me why BB took one of the most talented and deepest positions on the team and instantly made it the weakest, in a matter of a month right before the season.

Chung is a liability in coverage? He looks pretty decent to me, especially in the red zone.

What I don't understand is why they don't move one of their bigger corners to Sergio Brown's safety spot -- or even Arrington, who's a little guy but can at least tackle. Bodden to me looks like a decent candidate to make the late-career Rod Woodson change. He's generally a good tackler and he's always been a pretty decent zone corner. He might not be a world-beater back there, but he'll probably make a play or two over the course of 12 games, which I don't expect at all from Barrett.

I'd feel a lot better with a McCourty-Arrington-Chung-Bodden quartet back there than I would with any combo involving Barrett or Brown. And if they have to go nickel, throw in Dowling, assuming he's healthy soon.

Does anyone else think next year's draft is going to be like this year's, only with safeties instead of running backs?

Last edited:
I probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery in the next five minutes but let me throw this out there

Dawkins, Curry & while I'm dreaming :) lets offer a #1 for Osi

Yes Dawkins is old and slow but from what I've seen in two games, he still brings more to the table then Brown.. And would help a young Defense.. he brings an attitude with him, something this defense sorely misses

Curry and Mayo play the same position but with Mayo out for 6 weeks, likely more, its a good time to acquire a talent, who was a top 5 pick just a few years ago, and see if a change of atmosphere helps

I say Osi and I would give a #1 for him.. Typically i'm on the side of most pats fans and say not to trade away high picks but with the real chance Tom only has another 3 or 4 years, I think its time to cash in our chips.. Osi is a dominating player.. Showed that the other day.. He's did more in 1 game then our entire front 4 has done all season.. (pressure wise)

Last edited:
I probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery in the next five minutes but let me throw this out there

Dawkins, Curry & while I'm dreaming :) lets offer a #1 for Osi

Yes Dawkins is old and slow but from what I've seen in two games, he still brings more to the table then Brown.. And would help a young Defense.. he brings an attitude with him, something this defense sorely misses

Curry and Mayo play the same position but with Mayo out for 6 weeks, likely more, its a good time to acquire a talent, who was a top 5 pick just a few years ago, and see if a change of atmosphere helps

I say Osi and I would give a #1 for him.. Typically i'm on the side of most pats fans and say not to trade away high picks but with the real chance Tom only has another 3 or 4 years, I think its time to cash in our chips.. Osi is a dominating player.. Showed that the other day.. He's did more in 1 game then our entire front 4 has done all season.. (pressure wise)

The thread title was "realistic player move suggestion". I hate when people feel the need to just throw their fantasies out there... The Giants have put up with a lot from OSI and they just got him back on the field and are in contention so they are not going to trade him this October...or even next necessarily since he is signed through 2012 - after which he will turn 32 in season... The Giants will never get value for Osi in trade for good reason... When healthy and onboard or motivated he plays like a #1, but investing a #1 in a player on the wrong side of 30 who wants to be paid like he isn't is only something a crazy loon like Al Davis would do... Belichick might have taken him off the Giants hands for pennies on the dollar, but obviously it never came to that...and it isn't going to.

Last edited:
Brandon Meriweather 2.0.

If Dallas falters, we should pick up Ware!!!

The realistic player move that I'd like to see happen is Lofa Tatupu getting signed, especially if Mayo's injuries turn Koppen like. But even if they aren't Tatupu is a PLAYER who makes plays. He tackles well, blitzes well, covers well, and plays with a high motor. He'd be a huge upgrade over Gary Guyton, next to Spikes when the Pats go with 2 ILBs or alone in the middle of the 4-3. I vote to send Gary back to being a special teams ace

Besides all that, the symmetry of signing the son of a Patriot icon (Moisi Tatupu) and Sharon HS grad is just too good to pass up

Last edited:
BTW- on Kerry Rhodes. Despite the Ryan comment, which IS telling. I can't help but remember that when Kerry was with the Jets and they played the Pats, BB would ALWAYS make a point to talk to him after the game. It always stuck with me that BB clearly liked him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes