PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Realistic for Edelman to play in playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Canin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
We have been told that Edelman's bone injury will heal in time for the playoffs, the implication being that Edelman would then be ready to play for the playoffs.

But even assuming Edelman's broken bone does heal, how do we know the muscles he uses to support that bone will be strong enough to support the intense force Edelman places on them during a game?

Suppose for the sake of specificity that when Edelman does one of his incredible moves he is using a specific muscle M around the broken bone B. Now, suppose that the bone B is fully healed by say, January 17 in time for the playoffs.

The problem is that Edelman would not have been exercising the muscle M normally for the previous 8 weeks. He couldn't really because he has to avoid stress being placed on the bone B while it was healing. And it would take at least a month, probably more, for the muscle M to recover to normal if it has not been exercised as much as usual - and that month can only start once the bone is fully healed.

The other point is that, although we were told Edelman might be back in time for the playoffs, these estimates might have been due to general medical assessments. But Edelman is unique: his quickness and speed of direction change (as shown by any of the several Edelman threads I've started here) are virtually unprecedented in a receiver. Thus, it may be that he puts more force on his feet and legs than a normal player, so that standard medical timetables would not apply.

I certainly have no specialized medical knowledge or expertise. I know when I have had operations, I can get up to 90% reasonably quickly but to really regain full 100% strength, including muscle strength, has taken me at least 6 months. Just the inactivity is hard to recover from.

I'd be shocked if he isn't ready and near or at 100%. He's already been back at practice for 3 weeks today. By the first playoff game, he'll have been back more .than 5 weeks

We have been told that Edelman's bone injury will heal in time for the playoffs, the implication being that Edelman would then be ready to play for the playoffs.

But even assuming Edelman's broken bone does heal, how do we know the muscles he uses to support that bone will be strong enough to support the intense force Edelman places on them during a game?

Suppose for the sake of specificity that when Edelman does one of his incredible moves he is using a specific muscle M around the broken bone B. Now, suppose that the bone B is fully healed by say, January 17 in time for the playoffs.

The problem is that Edelman would not have been exercising the muscle M normally for the previous 8 weeks. He couldn't really because he has to avoid stress being placed on the bone B while it was healing. And it would take at least a month, probably more, for the muscle M to recover to normal if it has not been exercised as much as usual - and that month can only start once the bone is fully healed.

The other point is that, although we were told Edelman might be back in time for the playoffs, these estimates might have been due to general medical assessments. But Edelman is unique: his quickness and speed of direction change (as shown by any of the several Edelman threads I've started here) are virtually unprecedented in a receiver. Thus, it may be that he puts more force on his feet and legs than a normal player, so that standard medical timetables would not apply.

I certainly have no specialized medical knowledge. I know when I have had operations, I can get up to 95% reasonably quickly but to really regain full 100% strength, including muscle strength, has taken me at least 6 months. Just the inactivity is hard to recover from.

He will be fine. I doubt he has been sitting around doing no strength conditioning at all. Plus he's been at practice for a month.

He's gonna be fine.

We have no idea what his rehab has been like and only somewhat of an idea about his practice participation.

If NFL teams did not reinsert their players for fear of reinjury, it would be a very different league. There are tons of guys every postseason playing on bones and ligaments that aren't fully healed and either re-injuring them or getting surgery later on.

We'll assume that like nearly every player who has missed significant time that he won't be 100%, but that doesn't mean he can't make a difference for the offense.

Concerns:

-Conditioning
-Timing
-Chances of reinjury
-Offensive flow
-Effectiveness- its been said that Dez had some issues making cuts. Not sure if Jules will have the same issue.

I assume since he's been 'practicing' that includes exercising 'muscle M' as the healing of 'bone B' permits so that they return to game conditioning somewhat at the same rate. It's not like the muscle has to wait for the bone to be completely healed before starting to recuperate.

The NFL is very unpredictable. Anything can happen. This year, until November, this team seemed destined to plow through the league. Injuries are a harsh reality. I love that 2014 team. Thank goodness almost every key player made it through.

The NFL is very unpredictable. Anything can happen. This year, until November, this team seemed destined to plow through the league. Injuries are a harsh reality. I love that 2014 team. Thank goodness almost every key player made it through.

Yes - the 2014 team was incredibly lucky with almost no injuries, whereas that want the case in years when we came up short.

He's going to play, the only question imo is whether he can make through the 3 game run. I have no concerns about his quality of play.

I'd be surprised if he were close to 100%.
Just curious why you think that. The original time span was 6-8 weeks for recovery and the first playoff game will be 9 weeks. In addition, he was back at practice far earlier than expected and has had no reported setbacks. Do you have inside information you can share with us?

Just curious why you think that. The original time span was 6-8 weeks for recovery and the first playoff game will be 9 weeks. In addition, he was back at practice far earlier than expected and has had no reported setbacks. Do you have inside information you can share with us?

No I have no information, but recovery and 100% are two different things.

I'm curious why anyone would think the first game back after a broken foot that a player who relies so much on precision sharp cuts could possibly be close to 100%? Yes he may be good enough to be effective and improve the offense. I'm not saying he will be bad, but it sometimes takes a half season for players to come back after major injuries. 100% right away? Really???

I'm curious why anyone would think the first game back after a broken foot that a player who relies so much on precision sharp cuts could possibly be close to 100%? Yes he may be good enough to be effective and improve the offense. I'm not saying he will be bad, but it sometimes takes a half season for players to come back after major injuries. 100% right away? Really???
I don't think he'll be 100% eithet but because he had an offseason to train and has played a majority of the season, he has a better chance of coming back quicker than otherwise.

To answer your question, I'm usually inclined to go by the opinion of physicians who make such projections as part of their profession. That's what I'm typically most comfortable with. Sure, occasionally, they're somewhat off but, by and large, their projections are very accurate. Plus, that projection came from medical professionals who examined him, operated on him and monitor him.

I'm in the he won't be 100% crowd, but an 80% Edelman might be another to bring home another Lombardi.

1. He is expected to play. That is why they kept him on the roster.

2. His foot will not be fully healed because bones take months to heal. The Jones fracture has a high refracture rate in part because of poor blood supply to these bones and longer healing times.

3. Just what impact his less than fully healed bones will have on his performance is unknown. The greatest stress will be due to sharp cuts.
Nothing new here.

Last edited:
It is what it is. I'm pretty confident that he is going to play, I think most would agree. The diff of opinion would be on he effectiveness.

He's been working out for a couple of week.....EMS also slows muscle atrophy.....

If B is good to go, he will be fine

Based on the luck of this season, I won't be surprised if JE re-injure his foot in the playoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back