PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Real Reasons for our Improvement this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
-Belichick coaching the defense. This is barely mentioned, but its a huge factor. Dean Pees was flat out terrible as DC. Sure our stats are not good, but the D make plays when they need to and are getting a lot of turn overs. A lot of yards/points have also been garbage time - bend but dont break defense. Like BB once said, Stats are for losers. Our defense has come up with huge plays when we needed them the most (game ending INT vs Colts, Ninkovich early INTs vs. Miami that kept us in the game and led to a blowout, etc)

-Brady is back. A lot of people dont realize how hard it is to come back physically, but more importantly MENTALLY, from a traumatic injury and sitting out of football for a year and a half.

-Mayo is healthy. Last year he was playing injured and mightve had the sophomore jinx. He still looked like he was learning out there. Now he seems comfortable and confident as a Captain on the team. This year he's one of the best Linebackers in the entire league.

-We got rid of every cancer on the team. Adalius Thomas, gone. Randy Moss, while praised by BB and Brady, was always seen moping on the sidelines and plays off and on whenever he feels like it. Laurence Maroney, another hot and cold moody player. Gone. We replaced all those guys with humble, CONSISTENT team players (Branch, BJGE, Cunningham). Watching the Pats play it is clear that every player is 100% buying into everything BB is telling them. Chemistry is important and it is way better than last year.

-Lower Risk, Same Reward. Brady has barely thrown any INT's since Moss has been gone. He isnt bombing it out. He doesnt have to worry about babysitting and keeping Moss happy. Instead he's gone back to spreading it out. Our Offense is far less predictable than the "Moss goes Deep, Welker goes Under" Offense that we had the past few years. I thought we might have Redzone scoring issues without the height/jumping of Moss, but the Reward is the same as when he was here, but without the high Risk. We're still scoring a lot, and have the best offense in the league.

-Dominant Offensive Line. They're playing better than I've seen them play in recent years. Vollmer hasnt gotten enough credit. He's a huge upgrade over Kaczur. Having Light/Vollmer lock down the edges has given Brady a clean pocket and lots of time to throw.

-New Starting CornerBacks. Bodden was decent last year, but at times we saw him and the other side get picked on with ease. Now this year we have 2 new starters. McCourty is playing at a Pro Bowl level. He's shutting down deep balls thrown at him and quickly reaching "Shut Down" status where QB's won't even attempt throwing deep on him. The majority of his INT's look identical. WR runs a streak down the sideline, McCourty runs step for step with them, turns and plays the ball perfectly. Arrington isn't getting picked on like we've seen Butler/Wilhite/Wheatley get picked on in past years. He's no McCourty, but he's been playing pretty damn good in his own right and supports the run well. Brandon Marshall, Santonio Holmes, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson.... None of them had good games against us.

Last edited:
I agree with all your points. But dont forget we have a WR closing in on a 100 catches, who most thought wouldn't even play this season. Thats another big reason.

good points, i have been thinking about #1 and #2 lately.

I agree with all your points. But dont forget we have a WR closing in on a 100 catches, who most thought wouldn't even play this season. Thats another big reason.

He played last year too.

This thread is about how our team is Improved / Different than last year. Welker is doing the same thing he has done the last few seasons.

Last edited:
What you seemed to have missed is a very good draft, and their ability to work themselves into the lineup particularly in defense, having gone for one of the oldest defenses to the youngest in a very short period of time.. McCourty, Spikes, Cunningham, Mesko, Gronkowski and Hernandez.. and the continued good play of our previous draft Chung, Brace, Butler(to a lesser extent), Tate.. along with finding & developing some very good UDFA's; BJGE, Kyle Arrington, Fletcher, Danny Woodnead et al. ..

Many of our draft picks this year were team captains in college, so they have been held in esteem by their peers & coaches before(leadership)....

This team is changing dramatically on the fly, and not missing a beat... that is amazing.

All good points but besides Branch, you forgot to mention the return of Logan Mankins put an attitude back into the OL.

All good points but besides Branch, you forgot to mention the return of Logan Mankins put an attitude back into the OL.

They were already playing well without Mankins. The real upgrade in our Line's pass protection has been Vollmer. Mankins is just the cherry on top.

What you seemed to have missed is a very good draft, and their ability to work themselves into the lineup particularly in defense, having gone for one of the oldest defenses to the youngest in a very short period of time.. McCourty, Spikes, Cunningham, Mesko, Gronkowski and Hernandez.. and the continued good play of our previous draft Chung, Brace, Butler(to a lesser extent), Tate.. along with finding & developing some very good UDFA's; BJGE, Kyle Arrington, Fletcher, Danny Woodnead et al. ..

Many of our draft picks this year were team captains in college, so they have been held in esteem by their peers & coaches before(leadership)....

This team is changing dramatically on the fly, and not missing a beat... that is amazing.

*shrug*

You're right, but I thought that was already very obvious to everyone. Didnt want to ramble on and be redundant about something that's always talked about by commentators/analysts. I was trying to bring up things that have gone unnoticed or havent gotten as much praise as they should.

*shrug*

You're right, but I thought that was already very obvious to everyone. Didnt want to ramble on and be redundant about something that's always talked about by commentators/analysts. I was trying to bring up things that have gone unnoticed or havent gotten as much praise as they should.

Sorry to have bored you.. Brady playing well is not obvious?? Mayo is healthy is not obvious?? Got rid of the cancers on this team is not obvious??

IMO this is the least talked about on talk radio, would love to hear more about how McCourty was able to step and assume the role he does.. would love to hear about how our second year players have developed, instead they concern themselves with what Moss says/said.. or what Rex Ryan says/said.

This is about opinions, not right or wrong..

BB has coached up a very young D that has improved dramatically due to 2 outstanding drafts and some great UDFA pickups.

THis group will benefit a lot from any bye weeks we get.

-Brady is back. A lot of people dont realize how hard it is to come back physically, but more importantly MENTALLY, from a traumatic injury and sitting out of football for a year and a half.

In addition to this. Don"t forget....Tom Brady broke a rib against Buffalo in game number 1. So not only was he coming back from a major ACL tear.....he played all of 2009 with a broken rib. That in itself is something everyone tends to forget.

Sorry to have bored you.. Brady playing well is not obvious?? Mayo is healthy is not obvious?? Got rid of the cancers on this team is not obvious??

IMO this is the least talked about on talk radio, would love to hear more about how McCourty was able to step and assume the role he does.. would love to hear about how our second year players have developed, instead they concern themselves with what Moss says/said.. or what Rex Ryan says/said.

This is about opinions, not right or wrong..

This.

No question that the team is getting excellent years out of TB, Welker, Branch,BJGE, etc and the speed and talent are improved over last year. However, if I had to distill it down to one thing- trust.

BB trusts that his players will learn and execute. TB trusts the players on the offense will do their jobs. BB trusts the coaches will do a good job. The players trust the coach's game plan and the players trust each other to execute. This is probably most important as I don't think it was always the case last year which lead to a lack of confidence to step up in critical situations

My .02$

People also forget that Brady most likely was injured in the preseason and was never really healthy.

The difference between winning and loosing in the NFL is a razors edge. The Pats this year are on the right side of it.

But you are right, they are making plays when they need to, just like the Saints did last year.

i would disagree with a lot of what is said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

1. Brady is back to normal guys. He needed another year after the ACL to feel right and he's now back at the very top of the league.

2. Rookies are huge - the TEs including crumpler have opened up lanes in the running game for BJGE and as a result we are becoming more balanced on O. McCourty in the secondary - teams are afraid to throw to his side. we never had that kind of presence at CB since Asante.

3. Bill O 'brien - he seems to know what he is doing. last year the playcalling on offense was not great but he is doing terrific this year.

4. Offense is unstoppable - pats put up a lot of points early on and it makes things easier for our young defense who don't have to win games for us.
if our offense sputters, then it could be a long day for our D.

Nice summary Nathan. When you look at this team you see improvement everywhere. This years draft added players that helped the O, the D and special teams. What's really exciting is that it's not a "one year wonder" dynamic. They are buiding for another run at Super BowlS over the next 4 - 5 years. If Tom Brady can avoid another major injury to his legs he will play until he's 40. That is his stated goal and I think Tom is very serious about that. He loves to play football and I also think he wants to play long enough so his sons can experience his football career. NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon has expressed that very sentiment. When asked if he'll retire soon his response has been that he wants to keep driving and wants to win so his young children can experience his driving career before he retires. I think the same thing motivates Tom. I think he wants his sons to have lifelong memories of seeing their father play NFL football. If anyone can/will play at a high level at 40 it's a smart guy like Tom Brady.

Why did last year's offense always die in the second half of each game, why did last years offense lag?

Good reasons given over the last year:
1) Brady's broken ribs messed with with his mind and mechanics.
2) Brady's broken knee messed with with his mind and mechanics.
3) Brady often waited on Randy instead of going through his progressions.
4) Rookie receivers were running bad routes and not getting separation.
5) Brady threw too many deep balls which is his only mediocre skill.
6) Our rookie offensive coordinator wasn't effectively adjusting the game plan.
7) NFL defenses finally caught up to NE's option spread offense.
8) We played one of the toughest pass defense schedules in the history of the NFL.
9) We had no complementary run game to close games out.

The best answer: NE Offense depends on efficiency to be successful and all the above was to much crap to overcome.

Notice none of the above is happening is happening now. Times are fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes