Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reagan's Racism

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +573 / 22 / -19

Bob Herbert of the NYT wrote an excellent column the other day reminding us of Reagan's racism. Some conservatives claim that black people support Democrats because they want handouts, etc., which of course is racist in itself, but the fact is that the great Poobah of the Repubican Party, its holy of holy, its standard bearer, it's moral leader, was a bigot who followed the Republican line of sucking up to racists. The Party hasn't really changed much, but it will have trouble blaming Clinton for this one.

Because the column appears in the NYT, which you have to sign up for (though it's free), I'm posting this link to the column on a site I'm not familiar with:

http://freedemocracy.blogspot.com/2007/11/bob-herbert-righting-reagans-wrongs.html

Here's more about the topic:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003671765

For current bigotry, we can look at the disinterest by Bush when Hurricane Katrina struck, some the judges he's nominated, and this sleazy maneuver:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/w...neuver_gave_bush_a_conservative_rights_panel/

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

There's a good chance that this thread will be closed before the sun goes down. :rocker:

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

Classic race baiting thread started by a moderator none the less Harry. When you respond, you'll quickly be ganged up on & called names. It won't matter what you say, or how you say it either.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +573 / 22 / -19

It's not race baiting to post a column that uses facts to support the premise that Reagan was a bigot. Maybe rather than trying to change the issue into one you're more comfortable with, you should try to show that Reagan was not a bigot. Or perhaps it's time that you owned up to the fact that the Republicans have a sorry history when it comes to race, at least dating back to Reagan (actually to Nixon, but that's another story).

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

I know, I have to bite my tongue on this one I always get in trouble with the "phony double standard" involved in the Race Thing.

There is a women DEMOCRAT LIBERAL POLITICIAN somewhere down south that called a Black person "Buckwheat" the other day, the Liberal Media is avoiding it like the plague as is Jessie Al, seems like it's not a big deal if a Left Wing Liberal is a RACIST it's only those Neo Cons they're after.

What a fool Imus was to Apologize to that Little Tub OF Sh!t Sharpton, if he wanted to Apologize he should have done it to the girls.

The Buckwheat Link
    http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/11/fury-after-la-l.html

THE DOUBLE STANDARD IS DISGUSTING.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

You can post your racist crap every day, Patters, it's not going to change the minds of those of us who think that it's up to the individual to make something of his life instead of waiting for the government to do it. It's clear that any person of any race can be a success if they so choose.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +573 / 22 / -19

Your comment has absolutely nothing to do with anything I posted. The article doesn't even mention Reagan's lies about welfare queens. It talks about how he sought southern white votes by appealing to race issues.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Yes it did, your entire post had your usual "Republicans are racist" dripping all over it.

9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not only is it classic race baiting by the liberal moderator, but it also is an attempt to rewrite history. Dutch Reagan is easily the most popular, beloved post-war President and liberals can't stand that fact. The only other President that comes close is Kennedy, but fact is he would have just been another President if he had not been assassinated.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

Reagan might have been as bigoted as Robert Byrd for all I know. I was all of 6 years old in 1980. That doesn't change the fact that this is a race baiting thread. The first post someone makes that's contrary to the "Reagan was a white supremist loser" framework you've set up, we'll see people like that 12 year old & his cohorts, rush in here and brand such posters are racists. I guess it's part of that (in)tolerance, debate, and discussion bit I always hear about. I'll pass on such threads thank you.

BTW, I guess all these people racists for speaking at that very same fair this year.

http://www.neshobacountyfair.org/politics.html

Schedule of Political Speakers
    2007 Neshoba County Fair®

TUESDAY, July 24

Political Speaking - Founders Square
    9:00 a.m. Wesley Ward (D), Candidate for Constable Place 1, Neshoba County
    9:05 a.m. Jerry Beckham (D), Candidate for Constable Place 1, Neshoba County
    9:10 a.m. Roy Rushing (D), Candidate for Constable Place 2, Neshoba County
    9:15 a.m. Brad Stuart (D), Candidate for Justice Court Judge Place 2, Neshoba County
    9:20 a.m. Lee Winstead (D), Candidate for Justice Court Judge Place 2, Neshoba County
    9:25 a.m. Tim Watkins (D), Candidate for Justice Court Judge Place 2, Neshoba County
    9:30 a.m.Obbie Riley (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 5, Neshoba County
    9:35 a.m. Honorable James Young (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 5, Neshoba County
    9:40 a.m. Gerald Spears (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 4, Neshoba County
    9:45 a.m. Bob Breland (R), Candidate for Supervisor District 4, Neshoba County
    9:50 a.m. Honorable Mike Moorehead (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 4, Neshoba County
    9:55 a.m. Kizzy Moore Donald, (D) , Candidate for Coroner, Neshoba County
    10:00 a.m.Genie Hall (D), Candidate for Tax Collector, Neshoba County
    10:05 a.m. Mike Lewis (D), Candidate for Tax Collector, Neshoba County
    10:10 a.m.Camden Fulton (D), Candidate for Tax Collector, Neshoba County
    10:15 a.m. Lynda Crawford (D), Candidate for Circuit Clerk, Neshoba County
    10:20 a.m. Honorable Patti Duncan Lee (D), Candidate for Circuit Clerk, Neshoba County
    10:25 a.m. Steve Seale (D), Candidate for Chancery Clerk, Neshoba County
    10:30 a.m. Honorable Larry McMillan (D), Candidate for Chancery Clerk, Neshoba County
    10:35 a.m. Donnie Adkins (D), Candidate for Sheriff, Neshoba County
    10:40 a.m. Honorable Larry Myers (D), Candidate for Sheriff, Neshoba County
    1:00 p.m. Charlie Gardner (R), Candidate for Supervisor District 3, Neshoba County
    1:05 p.m.Kinsey Smith (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 3, Neshoba County
    1:10 p.m. Honorable Harold Reynolds (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 3, Neshoba County
    1:15 p.m. Maereene Jenkins (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 2, Neshoba County
    1:20 p.m. Jerrell Bryan (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 2, Neshoba County
    1:25 p.m. Ray Crocker (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 2, Neshoba County
    1:30 p.m. A. P. Soriano (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 2, Neshoba County
    1:35 p.m. Mickey Cumberland (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 2, Neshoba County
    1:40 p.m. Bobby Joe Lovern (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 1, Neshoba County
    1:45 p.m. Kenneth Thompson (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 1, Neshoba County
    1:50 p.m. Jerome Fedrick (R), Candidate for Supervisor District 1, Neshoba County
    1:55 p.m. Wade Bobo (D), Candidate for Supervisor District 1, Neshoba County
    2:00 p.m. Carol Gentry (D) Candidate for Tax Assessor
    2:00 p.m Harness and Running Horse Racing – Sponsored in part by AT&T and the Pearl River Resort – Racetrack
    4:00 p.m. Cake Walk, sponsored by Philadelphia-Neshoba County Arts Council Founders Square
    8:00 p.m. The Heartland Show – Grandstand
    9:30 p.m.- 12:30a.m. Dance – Music by “Rainmakers” – Founders Square
    1:00 a.m. MIDWAY AND CONCESSIONS CLOSE

WEDNESDAY – JULY 25, 2007

8:30 am Honorable Mark Duncan (D), District Attorney, 8th Circuit Court District, State of MS.
    8:40 am Honorable Vernon Cotton, 8th Circuit Court Judge, State of MS
    8:50 am Honorable Marcus Gordon, 8th Circuit Court Judge, State of MS
    9:00 am Honorable C. Scott Bounds (D), Candidate for MS. House of Representatives, District 44
    9:10 am Giles Ward (R), Candidate for MS State Senate, District 18
    9:20 am Honorable Gloria Williamson (D), Candidate for MS State Senate, District 18
    9:30 am Rudy Warnock, Jr. (D), Candidate for Commissioner of Transportation, Central District, State of MS
    9:40 am Honorable Dick Hall (R), Candidate for Commissioner of Transportation, Central District, State of MS
    9:50 am Jacob Ray (D), Candidate for State Auditor, State of MS
    10:00 am Todd Brand (D), Candidate for State Auditor, State of MS
    10:10 am Mike Sumrall (D), Candidate for State Auditor, State of MS
    10:20 am Honorable Stacey Pickering (R), Candidate for State Auditor, State of MS
    10:30 am Honorable Jamie Franks (D), Candidate for Lt. Governor, State of MS
    10:40 am Honorable Charlie Ross (R), Candidate for Lt. Governor, State of MS
    10:50 am Honorable Phil Bryant (R), Candidate for Lt. Governor, State of MS
    11:00 am Meridian Day Program, presented by East Mississippi Development Corp. Founders Square

1:00 pm Al Hopkins (R), Candidate for Attorney General, State of MS
    1:10 pm Honorable Jim Hood (D), Candidate for Attorney General, State of MS
    1:20 pm Paul Leslie Riley (R), Candidate for Commissioner of Agriculture, State of MS
    1:30 pm Ricky Cole (D), Candidate for Commissioner of Agriculture, State of MS
    1:40 pm Max Phillips (R), Candidate for Commissioner of Agriculture, State of MS
    1:50 pm Honorable Lester Spell (R), Candidate for Commissioner of Agri., State of MS
    2:00 pm Randy Rushing (R), Candidate for MS House of Representatives, District 78
    2:10 pm Honorable Billy Nicholson (D), Candidate for MS House of Representatives, District 78
    2:20 pm Jay Mathis (R), Candidate for MS House of Representatives, District 45
    2:30 pm Honorable Bennett Malone (D), Candidate for MS House of Rep., District 45

2:00 pm Harness & running horse races, sponsored in part by AT & T and Pearl River Resort - Racetrack
    2:00 pm Registration for Youth Talent Contest - Fair Office, cabin #65 on Founders Sq.
    3:00 pm Youth Talent Contest, Mack Alford, Master of Ceremonies - Founders Square
    7:45 pm Presentation of the 2007 “Dash for the Stash” winner - Grandstand
    8:00 pm The Trace Adkins Show - Grandstand
    9:30 pm - 12:30 am Dance - Music by “Class Reunion” - Founders Square
    1:00 am A.J. Yates Jr., Memorial Late Night Sing, Dr. Joe Jordan, Pat Woodrick Co-Chairpersons and Laura Bryan, Pianist and Co-Chairperson
    1:00 am Midway and concessions close.

THURSDAY – JULY 26, 2007

9:00 am Jimmy Foster (R), Candidate for Public Service Commissioner, Central District State of MS.
    9:10 am Charles Barbour (R), Candidate for Public Service Commissioner, Central District, State of MS.
    9:20 am Honorable Lynn Posey (D), Candidate for Public Service
    Commissioner, Central District, State of MS
    9:30 am Shawn O’ Hara (D), Candidate for State Treasurer, State of MS
    9:40 am Honorable Tate Reeves (R), Candidate for State Treasurer, State of MS
    9:50 am John Windsor (D), Candidate for Secretary of State, State of MS
    10:00 am Rob Smith (D), Candidate for Secretary of State, State of MS
    10:10 am Jeffrey Rupp (R), Candidate for Secretary of State, State of MS
    10:20 am Delbert Hoseman (R), Candidate for Secretary of State, State of MS
    10:30 am Honorable Mike Lott (R), Candidate for Secretary of State, State of MS
    10:40 am Honorable Eric Clark (D), Secretary of State, State of MS
    10:50 am John Arthur Eaves Jr. (D), Candidate for Governor, State of MS
    11:00 am Honorable Haley Barbour (R), Candidate for Governor, State of MS
    11:15 am Hometown Proud Program, Larry Mills, Master of Ceremonies
    Sponsored by Philadelphia-Neshoba County Tourism - Founders Square
    12:30 pm Hinds Community College Hi-Steppers - Founders Square
    12:45 pm Neshoba Central High School Band, Scott Sullender, Director of Bands Racetrack/Grandstand
    1:00 pm Fredrick Jones (R), Candidate for Governor, State of MS
    1:10 pm Louis Fondren (D), Candidate for Governor, State of MS
    1:20 pm Gary Anderson (D), Candidate for Comm. of Insurance, State of MS
    1:30 pm Honorable Mike Chaney (R), Cand. for Comm. of Insurance, State of MS
    1:40 pm Honorable George Dale (D), Cand. for Comm. of Insurance, State of MS
    2:00 p.m. Addie Green (D) Public Service Commissioner - Central District.

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What the..? I thought that was you lighting up the cigarette in your avatar photo..!! :D

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

The Left Wing Liberals can not and will not allow a Republican President to be called a "Great President", the New Democrats are now a party of Jealous Left Wing haters, the old democrats are all gone, one of the last great ones Tip O'Neil called Reagan one of his best friends and one of the Best Presidents this country will ever have.

Almost a 100% of America now accepts Black People into their daily lives now it is time for Black People to accept Whitey into theirs.

I won't call your people the "N"word if you won't call my people "White Mother F-ckers", is that a deal Rappers?
    :bricks:

13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How come Reagan is being singled out when you have Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton, both of whom ready to give everybody else's money away to buy votes from minorities, yet wouldn't be caught dead marrying one or having their children marry one!!

At least the Bush family has a number of Hispanic non-WASPs as spouse, grand-children, nephews and nieces, which is more than can be said about the Kennedys or Clintons.

//

14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

'sup, dawg. Homey. Can't get wit dat.

//

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

There is a little "secret war" going on in America that liberals are doing their best to avoid but sooner or later they will have to face it head on because it will become very serious, WHOSE SIDE WILL THEY TAKE WHO WILL THEY BRAND THE RACIST (they love to accuse people of racism especially neo cons)

The war that is brewing is between Hispanics & Blacks how will the poor liberal do-gooder handle this one, what a spot to be in, this one will put Pant Suit Hillary in the nut house, she will be flopping around like a buck tooth haddock out of water.
    :bricks:

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

I hope that is me someday. I'd love to be lighting up a Parlament Light on my 100th. I love the symbolism of that picture.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

Wow, you just made me wonder where Holy Diver's been. I hope he's well.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +573 / 22 / -19

Well, there's a reason that 95% of blacks and majorities of virtually every other minority group don't vote for Republicans. Obviously, not all Republicans are racist, but their history is tarnished by the fact that Republicans are rarely willing to criticize their own party for its misdeeds. Certainly, as a Democrat, I'm embarrassed by the Dixiecrats and very, very proud of JFK for taking the bold step of pushing civil rights even though it pushed most of the Dixiecrats over to the Republicans. He took a highly principled stand, unlike the people here who are simply whining about race baiting, and not even trying to defend Reagan.

19. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'll say why I didn't bother to defend Reagan. I could take the time to look stuff up, but I doubt it would change your mind. You might say it's because that stuff doesn't exist, and I certainly can't deny that since I won't take the time. I know what I think, and I know what you think. And this isn't an attack on you, obviously you're entitled to your opinions. There's just some things I don't bother to debate about, because you've made up your mind and nothing is likely to change that. I'm sure you feel that way about RW and others here.

20. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Anyone who thinks that JFK and the rest of his clan are not racists, is absolutely kidding themselves.

What exactly did Reagan do that was racists?

When he cut taxes, did he only cut the taxes of white people? Reagan was also President of the Screen Actors Guild, not exactly a right wing organization.

I'll admit that I didn't bother to read the article, I just took it on the fact that it was in the NYT that is it completly false.