Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reagan - One of the Worst Presidents Ever?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jun 7, 2009.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Disclaimer - it's from an opinion piece ... but very worthy of discussion IMO.

OpEdNews » Ronald Reagan: Worst President Ever?

Like I said ... an opinion piece but I think it makes for good discussion. Things started moving real fast under Reagan ... progress measured day to day and week to week which we now see was a problem. Huge gains were made at the expense of future problems both domestically and in the world. As always ... I wish the actions of Congress were more scrutinized in all these Presidential administration stories ... but they never are written like that.
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It is little surprise the shortcomings of their icon are coming to light now that the age of globalization is coming to an end ...

The man scrapped the energy emergency that Carter alerted us to in favor of more gluttony and the myth of infinite growth.
  3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well, he certainly took over from one of the worst presidents ever.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

Pretty funny article, the guy Perry is a lefty, which is certainly his right, but then he was pretending to be a 'journalist' during the 80's and is upset that an uppity conservatives had the temerity to question the gods of journalism....

Most of the article is drivel from my POV. The problem is that we didn't follow the principles Reagan laid out in the 80's.

Gotta love the revisionist history about how the cold war ended. NOBODY predicted the end of the USSR in the late 70's indeed they were seen as the wave of the future by many...
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

If his Voodoo economics worked, we wouldn't be in a depression now.

Supply side economics FAILED.

Thanks for tearing down that communistic wall, so we can turn China into the United States national bank...and torture people at a camp in a communist country.

Bang up job RONNY!

Everyone knows Sly Stallone actually destroyed the USSR, on christmas day....in Russia....

"If I can change, and you can change.......EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE!"
  6. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the sheer stupidity you spout is simply amazing
  7. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obama Signs Bill to Create Reagan Centennial Panel | 44 | washingtonpost.com

But Ronald Reagan is Barack Obama's idol.

In fact, this is how Obama compared Reagan, Nixon, and Clinton:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  8. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +877 / 16 / -24

No Jersey Selected

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

Just a guess you weren't an adult during the 70's or 80's....:rolleyes:
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Reagan did some good things, but a lot of what he did will be judged more clearly in the next 20 years.. one of the things he did do, very smartly, was to clarify how we count things like unemployment etc. His legacy is now being defined statistically, but what people sometimes forget is he changed some of the rules..

Prior to his time, Carter, even discouraged workers were counted in unemployment stats.. when he came on board he changed it to reflect how many people were collecting unemployment..

There are other instances as well, but cannot find them now.. what he did do well is give rise to the conservative movement.. and he did that well.
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

- "Nobody was predicting the fall of the Soviet Union in the late 1970s and early 1980s, indeed they were seen as the wave of the future..."

I was about to type your "were you even there?" comment you typed to someone else. The Soviets were seen universally as economically exhausted at the time. The only question was the how, not the if, of the end game.

That's what brought Gorbachev to power.

- Color me shocked that Obama, speaking on an occasion to honor Reagan, would specify how Reagan renewed a sense of optimism in the country. That is what leftists routinely miss, and Obama's centrist style is to find what is good and can be agreed upon by just about everybody. It is, however, a comment to the effect Reagan had on the psychology of Americans, not the ruinous policies Reagan pursued.

By the way, another tragic world-is-ending thread here in the last week or so has been the ridiculous hand-wringing of the right wingers over what is now an obscure proposal to do away w/presidential term limits.

For those of us who are old enough to remember, that idea was floated around first in recent memory for the benefit of none other than the gipper. They settled for naming every building, ship, park, and airport in DC for the alzheimer-ridden bastich. And frankly, the guy slept through meetings and called his wife "mommy." I'm pretty sure the onset was while he was in office.

He indeed kicked off the deregulationist mantra, with all his hope and belief that "greed is good," culled right from what some third grade teacher taught him about the foundations of capitalism.

Everything was very simple to Reagan, leaving succeeding presidents with very complex problems.

It took 30 years for this article I suppose. The period after Reagan was even more devoid of critique than the period during his regime.

PFnV
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Reagan had Alzheimer's while in office. It's clear from his Iran-Contra testimony that his memory was failing. So, we should have some sympathy for him.

It's no surprise that, except for his liberal accomplishment of working with Gorby, his record is mediocre. Never mind the fact that he ran for president basically as a racist, using racist code words and campaign stops to rally the South. That was cynical, but not a sign of incompetence. I think where he failed is that he got almost none of his social policy enacted (thank God) and did not leave his successor in a good position with regard to the economy. I also think his deregulation activities sent the wrong message to Wall Street and set us on a dangerous path. Plus, he cut back mental health services, school lunches, and other fundamental programs. That said, I think he was an average president. The economy did well during his term, and he had one major foreign policy success.
  13. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

But .. but ... Ronald Reagan is Barack Obama's idol.

He can't be that bad? :confused:

14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

LOLOLOL... let's see, we corral everybody against a "right" wall and a "left" wall, and we take honorific comments toward Reagan, and from that, make him Obama's "idol..."

Wait, why refute it? You know it's dumb.

Let's just take the mantra and do it the other way:

"But wait, Ronald Reagan is Barack Obama's idol. Barack Obama can't be that bad!"

Makes about as much sense.

PFnV
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Reagan is Obama's Idol because Obama craves "Reagans Greatness" which of course he will never have.
  16. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Nothing to add to the debate... another argument lost. :rolleyes:
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Reagan was basically a chickensh!t Hollywood actor who never did anything brave in his life. People confuse his supposed "love of the military" with obvious pandering to the Military Industrial Complex and the manipulation of the American psyche into reversion to mythological ideas of patriotism that is centered on the military. Such a simplistic and shallow metaphor was the best he could come up with in the absence of courage, understanding of the problems average Americans had, and imagination.

But I don't fault Reagan for everything we're experiencing now. He was a man of very limited intellect and complexity. He was what he was. My first vote for President was for him because I "liked" him and knew nothing about the way things really worked (not that I do now). The fact that he deregulated Wall Street is only made worse by the FACT that Bush, Clinton, and Bush went along with The Program because all of them and their friends were getting rich from The Program. It was like a game of "hot potato"...whoever was caught holding it when the economy collapsed under its own weight was the one who would have to deal with it. Obama's "it" and anyone who's honest knows that it isn't his fault beyond the fact that he wanted to be the President. Tough call at this time.

What Reagan did do that was unforgivable was what Patters mentions here - the ending of federal funding which led to the closing of the majority of state-run mental hospitals. This single act did more to transform our society than anything else he did, IMO. It led to a long string of unintended consequences that Reagan probably didn't forsee (which was the hallmark of his presidency), but the act itself was heartless, inhuman, and cowardly. It resulted in the literal eviction into the streets of some of our most vulnerable brothers and sisters. That was when the "homeless problem" skyrocketed.

It was also when the public becan this hysterical fear of "crazy people" on the streets "threatening" their children with kidnap, rape and murder. Combined with the cable news reporting of every single missing child in North America, the "John Walsh" phenomenon, and the daycare molester witch hunts, people began to hover over and manage every moment of their kids' lives out of fear. No more days at the ballpark for pickup games without organizations run and monitored by adults. No more hikes in the woods out of the sight of adults. No more anything without adult supervision. And now we have what we have today. Kids (mostly boys) on psychotropic drugs. Proms under lock-down conditions. Depressed, overweight teens. The dots are easy to connect.
  18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

That's a great point. We have become such a paranoid and unforgiving society that we have deprived kids of their independence and insouciance. Drugs and foods are among the few places they can still turn to to be free.
  19. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Once upon a time in a land not so far away lived Spanked who really had NOTHING to say, but did so anyway. He did it as usual in his 8th grade kind of way.
    Your stupid, your dumb he said with aplum. He opened his mouth when he should have stayed mum. ;)
  20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Beatifully said i AM Envious.