PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reading Tea Leaves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I was listening to the BB press conference and an odd combination of comment and descriptions caught my attention.

BB described RBs as valuable in their own right if they were good ballplayers, irrespective of whether they were:

a) 1st & 2nd down 6-2 235# RBs
b) smaller change of pace and 3rd down RBs or
c) small 3rd & 4th down RBs and returners

This is the first time I have ever heard this third category of RB described by BB. It is unusual too since the returners are usually nominally WRs, like BJ, Dante Hall, Tim Dwight, Troy Brown, or Danny Sproles.

But this year there is one, 1, o-n-e, player who can be classified as a 3rd down back, a change of pace back AND a Punt Returner. That player is UCLA's Maurice Drew who is a virtual clone of Kevin Faulk at 5-8 and 205 but he runs a 4.39, the fastest time for any RB at the combine, and is the best Punt Returner in college ball. His only competition asa PR is WR Jeremy Bloom the skier.

If BB were looking for versatile player who could perform acceptably in several modes, Drew might be a guy he is going after. Recall David Megget the 5-6 jitterbug RB/returner who played for the Giants and the Pats when BB was there?

Drew is a swivel hipped jitterbug type RB, best when in the open field, with great hands and a knack for finding open spots in the zone. He sounds like he might be the understudy and eventual successor to KF. A single KF can't back up Dillon acceptably, could a pair with a dozen carries a game each do it?

Drew has been slotted by the draft gurus between Rd 2 and Rd 4. It is not a coincidence that the Pats need a backup RB, an understudy to 29 year old KF, and a punt returner. They also have five picks in that range...

i really think Drew could be our version of Phillys Brian Westbrook

Clever speculating, APF. The logic makes sense. It will be fun to see what transpires.

AzPatsFan said:
I was listening to the BB press conference and an odd combination of comment and descriptions caught my attention.

BB described RBs as valuable in their own right if they were good ballplayers, irrespective of whether they were:

a) 1st & 2nd down 6-2 235# RBs
b) smaller change of pace and 3rd down RBs or
c) small 3rd & 4th down RBs and returners

This is the first time I have ever heard this third category of RB described by BB. It is unusual too since the returners are usually nominally WRs, like BJ, Dante Hall, Tim Dwight, Troy Brown, or Danny Sproles.

just a point of information. Darren Sproles is a RB, not a WR and would fit into the 3rd category nicely.

Patskers said:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patskers said:
Faulk is already our version of Westbrook. Admittedly a slower, more fumble prone one but I'm not sure I see us using a #2 or high #3 on the difference between Drew and Faulk.

I like what you say AZPatsFan....good post and fun to ponder. My problem with this is can I picture Belichick putting a RB like that in on 3rd down i.e. telegraphing the play.

However...if they can get heath Evans to be a better run and pass blocker...then a RB in the backfield with Heath would not be so obvious as telegraphing goes.

I think this is why heath will stick around...he's just good enough a runner to not discount on [3rd and 3] or [3rd and 4].

A RB in that 3rd category could be the end of Patrick Pass...which I would welcome...I've been longing for a real FB for 3 years now. If a RB like Drew leads to a real FB...Heath, Klecko or whomever...:D I am all for it.:D

If the Patriots land Drew with the early 3rd - or trade down in the 2nd and take him later than #52 - I'll be happy. But it begs the question - who, then, is this Corey Dillon's heir apparent we need to draft? Do we take TWO RB's in this draft? I don't think so, but it's certainly possible.

F.B.N. said:
I like what you say AZPatsFan....good post and fun to ponder. My problem with this is can I picture Belichick putting a RB like that in on 3rd down i.e. telegraphing the play.

However...if they can get heath Evans to be a better run and pass blocker...then a RB in the backfield with Heath would not be so obvious as telegraphing goes.

I think this is why heath will stick around...he's just good enough a runner to not discount on [3rd and 3] or [3rd and 4].

A RB in that 3rd category could be the end of Patrick Pass...which I would welcome...I've been longing for a real FB for 3 years now. If a RB like Drew leads to a real FB...Heath, Klecko or whomever...:D I am all for it.:D
I understand where you're coming from, but Heath is faaaaar from a real FB.

Intriguing sleuthing, AZ !

I have a feeling that if Lendale White is there at 21 the Pats will pick him...he and Dillon would be a devastating 1-2 punch especially in the red zone. Bill stated in his conference a few times about the depth at the linebacker position in this draft. I think he feels he can get quality players in later rounds. If its not White, I think it'll be Cromartie. He's no slouch either...I watched the On Demand clips on him and the FSU coaches said he's the best skill set they've seen since Deion Sanders.

patsox23 said:
But it begs the question - who, then, is this Corey Dillon's heir apparent we need to draft?

Maybe it comes via the route CD took to get to NE - Trade. I don't see a CD replacement as a definite need yet this year. His performance next season will be really telling however on whether or not we draft, sign an FA or Trade for his replacement in 2007. I'm willing to wait and see how he does next season because I still think CD has at least a year or two left in the tank.

Az, nice thinking though on Drew. If he becomes another Meggette, Wow!

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
I understand where you're coming from, but Heath is faaaaar from a real FB.

Yup...but maybe not so far come camp. Day 2 of the draft will be his soothsayer.

Patsbacker said:
I have a feeling that if Lendale White is there at 21 the Pats will pick him...he and Dillon would be a devastating 1-2 punch especially in the red zone. Bill stated in his conference a few times about the depth at the linebacker position in this draft. I think he feels he can get quality players in later rounds. If its not White, I think it'll be Cromartie. He's no slouch either...I watched the On Demand clips on him and the FSU coaches said he's the best skill set they've seen since Deion Sanders.

Cromartie all day long if the choice is only these 2. I'm thinking cromartie stands a good chance anyways of Belichick calling his name.

I think Drew is outstanding, he has real big-play ability. The Pats favor guys who can make big plays, and Drew is definitely a home-run hitter.

The only negative that comes to mind is the early interest that Belichick had in Norwood 3-4 months ago. The fact that Belichick likes Norwood has stuck in my mind...reason why I put him in my mock.

But...Drew has a greater array of tools...would be a better choice for a small back and Norwood better choice for a larger back. It's a height thing as both weigh about the same.

BelichickFan said:
Faulk is already our version of Westbrook. Admittedly a slower, more fumble prone one but I'm not sure I see us using a #2 or high #3 on the difference between Drew and Faulk.

Faulk was a high #2 when he came out. His understudy/successor would probably be in the same range too, I should think...

I like Drew and Norwood...Drew could be the next Faulk..although smaller..big play..and may be a tough 3rd down back..I realy like Norwood as well..more so than the glamour guys in the early rounds..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes