Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reading Past the Headline

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +317 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Two threads prompted me to post this - State's thread about his perceived misuse of his/her and the thread about Mark Halperin - which turned into a "Obama said people who make 250K are jet owners," when, in fact, he said nothing of the sort.

The following are all AP articles (or articles from other sources) which were reprinted by FoxNews but given new headlines.

If you check the link you can read the stories - they're the same story - pretty much word for word - only the headers are different.

But, since so many people only read the headers and consider themselves educated and up-to-date, you can see how The WSJ gets away with saying "“Obama Calls People Making $250,000 ‘Jet Owners" in a header, even though they later take it down and recant the headline, and thus leads the gullible to believe that Obama actually said people who make 250K all own jets.

Anyhow - here's a few recent examples of how misleading headlines can be in the hands of those with an agenda.

Actual News headline
    USDA Gay-Sensitivity Training Seeks Larger Audience.

Fox News Headline
    Obama Bureaucrats Imposing Radical Homosexual Sensitivity Training?

Actual news headline
    Michele Bachman's First Dude

Fox News Headline
    The Left Launches Attack on Bachmann's Husband

Actual news headline
    Malaysia Police Slammed for Cattle Branding Women

Fox News headline
    Malaysian Muslims Cattle Brand Prostitutes

Actual News Headline
    AP Poll: Economic Worries Pose New Snags For Obama

Fox News Headline
    AP: Obama Has Big Problem With White Women

Actual News Headline
    NY Officials Want Schools to Teach About Unwanted Baby Law

Fox News Headline
    NYC Public Schools Teaching How to Abandon Your Baby

Actual News Headline
    Mandela Asks to Meet Michele Obama

Fox News Headline
    Michele Obama Snubbed in Africa But Looking Forward to Private Safari

Actual News Headlines Vs. Fox News Headlines: Pics, Videos, Links, News
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

YouTube - ‪Sex Pistols - The Great Rock n Roll Swindle‬‏

This entire movement of average americans buying the conservative mantra with the rose colored glasses in full belief that one day -- they will too be able to be one of them can be summed up by the title of this sex pistol song....

Its a swindle...

(on the post: BRAVO mrs P!)
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

You need to visit some lefty sites ... then again I am sure you do and you know it's the same from the other angle.

Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post

Democratic Underground

Daily Kos :: State of the Nation

http://mediamatters.org/

BTW Mrs. PF - you apparently have forgotten that Obama gave those companies that make those jets a tax break as part of the stimulus package. Letting them depreciate in 5 years as opposed to 7.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/576978/201106301900/The-Presidents-Loophole-Lie.htm

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +317 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Actually, I read some of them - some of the time. And other times I read right wing sites...when I want news, however, as opposed to biased opinion, I read CNN mostly. But I read the stories, not just the headlines, and if they do not match up then I disregard it - where ever it came from.

But - I gave you specific stories and specific titles....if you feel that Huff-Po or The Democratic Underground or Media Matters writes totally misleading headlines, please link me to them in specific.

No, I have not forgotten...I am simply aware that they are two different things.

Some of the proposed tax increases included:

$3 billion over ten years by eliminating a tax break for corporate jet owners (which, officials noted, is not the same thing as the incentive in the stimulus bill for businesses to buy assets such as planes)*;

*There are two different corporate jet tax items. In the deficit talks, White House officials say, the President has proposed eliminating the preference for corporate jets allowing them to depreciate in 5 years versus 7 years for commercial aviation. This proposal is longstanding. In its current form, it has been in place since 1987. We have never supported it and obviously didn’t sign it into law. In the stimulus bill, there was a separate provision called bonus depreciation. The current round started in 2008, signed into law under President Bush, was continued in the stimulus bill. A White House official says that “bonus depreciation—and this year 100 percent expensing—allows people to write off their property faster than they would otherwise—and is a broad provision that helps millions of companies from many sectors of the economy. To be eligible, you do have to meet certain criteria. One of those criteria is the date by which your property is placed into service. And, here’s where there’s a special provision for aviation (signed by President Bush)—both commercial airlines and private jets get an additional year (beyond the normal) to place in service. This same provision also applied to other capital goods that take a long time to contract and build. In short, bonus depreciation applies very broadly; and the small special provision in that for aviation applies to both commercial and private jets as well as other capital goods that take a long time to contract and build—not preferencing one over the other (and this special provision was first signed into law by President Bush).”

Behind the Scenes of the Deficit Negotiations: $400B in Tax Hikes, $1T in Spending Cuts - Political Punch
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 5 / -8

I've gotten past where I'm amazed that idiots buy this pablum on the right. What currently amazes me is the ability to go from "death panels! OMG!" to "Death Panels - We need some!" in about 15 minutes -- despite the fact that of course, there were no death panels in the first place.

An enormous sh1tstorm attended the idea that people have as one benefit the ability to visit a counselor for end of life options (living wills etc.) whenever they so desired.

The provision was simply that you don't have to pay your own money just to discuss what your options are. I'll be 48 in August. I could go have this discussion. My kids are in their 20s and 30s. They could go. People in their 80s could go.

Any or all of us have plenty of reason to establish a living will, or plenty of reason to double-check our assumptions.

Here on this board, the righties clanged along on the same one-note lockstep chant: "death panel! death panel! death panel!"

A discussion -- a voluntary discussion -- being reimbursed was called a death panel. That much is shameful.

But what's disgusting is that the actual position on end-of-life care among the right is something that can be much more fairly characterized with that stupid catch-phrase.

To wit, we now hear how caring for seniors is "unsustainable," and how we "can't afford" medicare and medicaid.

And it's the same guys.

I'm sure we're going to now hear alllllll about how good and moral it is to let everybody go out on an ice floe or die in a pool of bloody excrement in a gutter somewhere, because it's a private-sector gutter and a personal choice ice floe or some such horse ****.

Truth of the matter is, the right puts its ideology above people's needs. They're off in la-la land, and the propaganda machine is geared to continue to brainwash them to the extent that they can hold diametrically opposed opinions and go back and do the mental gymnastics after the fact. They've been in this "game" for so long that it's become a way of life.

Fox is not a news source. It is an entertainment venue for people who like fairy tales but don't get the Disney channel.

PFnV
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

If you read both sides, sometimes you might find some truth..

Neither side has the franchise on honesty.. but the right has been brilliant on harnessing the hysteria and half truths. They have the upper hand in all of this, and PT Barnum would be proud.
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 5 / -8

I rather think they'd make him blush.