PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to the Jermaine Cunningham Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's exactly one draft decision at OLB the past few years that struck me as a no-brainer at the time and that I've continued to wish the Pats have done since, and that's Barwin at #40 last year. Not Matthews, a pure workout warrior in the 1st round; not Kindle, who had a list of red flags a mile long; not even Hughes, who I liked but who will be a much better fit with the Colts' defense (and having 3 quality CBs warms my heart). But Barwin in the 2nd, yeah, I'll fault them for that one.

No argument here, though I place Bill's bypassing of Cliff Avril in favor of Chicken Legs a clear, yet not-so-distant 2nd.

Last edited:
No argument here, though I place Bill's bypassing of Cliff Avril in favor of Chicken Legs a clear, yet not-so-distant 2nd.

Yeah, I would have taken Avril over Crable too, but I think that's a different category of decision -- it's not about ignoring the OLB position, but which player to take. Plus it's hard to call Avril a "no-brainer" there, given that the Steelers (who know a thing or two about drafting OLBs) picked a few slots later and passed on him in favor of Bruce Davis!

Yeah, I would have taken Avril over Crable too, but I think that's a different category of decision -- it's not about ignoring the OLB position, but which player to take.

Plus it's hard to call Avril a "no-brainer" there, given that the Steelers (who know a thing or two about drafting OLBs) picked a few slots later and passed on him in favor of Bruce Davis!

I agree with your distinction btwn Barwin/Brace and Avril/Crable. Twin sons of different mothers, if you will.

Just goes to show that even LB-savvy teams like Pits-dirt could learn something from you folks on the Draft Board.
(Maybe Avril was seen as more a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB; but I thought that his agility workouts showed that he could transition to playing in space, and his Perdue pedigree showed that what he did in college could translate to the pros.)

Another word on Cunningham I liked seeing was relentless. I believe it was Reiss who descibed him as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back