PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to the Jermaine Cunningham Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
He ran a 4.12 short shuttle. That's Demarcus Ware-level short area quickness.

I believe that number is from his high school recruiting profile. Cunningham hasn't run a shuttle or cone in any controlled setting that I know of.

It's clear BB is going for steak without the sizzle. Not as celebrated or highly rated (at least by public scouting services) as his colleague Carlos Dunlap, who was the immediate follow-on pick of Cincinnati.

In Meyer BB trusts!

Wanted to add this information about his recent (January 2010?) shoulder surgery from his profile at CBS Sports.com:

"The workout was key for Cunningham, who had recovered from shoulder surgery that forced him to miss the Senior Bowl and working out at the NFL scouting combine. Cunningham had surgery on Jan. 5. Dr. James Andrews did the surgery and projected a full recovery."

Wonder if he is going to be full speed by training camp.

Now all we need is for Crable to stay healthy.

And for Chad Jackson to show more than just potential, and for Bethel Johnson to develop into a reliable 3rd WR, and for Eugene Chung to become the dominant tackle that we need

Guys, this FL guy has been my binky all year and now I promise to be more upbeat! Turn on game tape to try and watch Spikes or Dunlap and all you see is Cunningham around the ball on every play.

I'm going to chime in on this. I remember trying to watch tape of Dunlap on youtube (for my sins) and never really spotted him doing very much. Always a step behind the play, the first to arrive once the action's over. He had another teammate who I never managed to identify who was all over the field making plays.

Here's hoping that was Cunningham :eat3:

Just glad we took a DE that could possibly play OLB in the 3-4

According to BB he was outstanding in FL, weighs in at "265 or something like that" (BB's words LOL).
"Cunningham is a guy that in some ways is a little bit (or) maybe has a little less height than (Carlos) Dunlap, but was really an outstanding player for Florida. He's had an outstanding career down there ... He's a pretty athletic kid -- 265 pound or something like that and 6-3."
Belichick on second day of the draft - Extra Points - Boston.com

He got arrested over beating someone uup over a bag of chips he didn't want to pay for? Gee, that's encouraging. I was a little disappointed that we reached for this guy by about 2 rounds, but that isn't good either...don't need any people bullying the citizenry.

I'm going to chime in on this. I remember trying to watch tape of Dunlap on youtube (for my sins) and never really spotted him doing very much. Always a step behind the play, the first to arrive once the action's over. He had another teammate who I never managed to identify who was all over the field making plays.

Dunlap plays alot like AD(loafer), Cunningham plays like Bruschi and if you were watching the ball he wasnt far behind. His roommate is Spikes, and they were team captains, tell me that wont get them stoked to come here together! As far as his legal problems, FL isnt VA Tech. I want my linebackers mean and nasty!!! This team has lost alot of swagger and gotten very buttoned up the last few years. I think this pair of LBs could bring a breath of fresh air. Oh ya, they know how to WIN which always helps.

He got arrested over beating someone uup over a bag of chips he didn't want to pay for? Gee, that's encouraging. I was a little disappointed that we reached for this guy by about 2 rounds, but that isn't good either...don't need any people bullying the citizenry.

It does stick out in a draft heavy on character. But as arrests go...

Cunningham was 19 years old, out getting a sandwich late at night with two buddies. They got into an argument with a clerk at the sandwich shop, and allegedly threw the sandwich and some empty cups at him. There was no "beating someone up," and all charges were dismissed.

They were talking on the radio this morning that Cunningham and Spikes broke down film with Bellichick together and that they play off of each other very well. Gasper was a little bit skeptical on this package deal scenario but if Meyer was the one who suggested it to BB perhaps it is reality.

good pick for a needed position

very nice

They were talking on the radio this morning that Cunningham and Spikes broke down film with Bellichick together and that they play off of each other very well. Gasper was a little bit skeptical on this package deal scenario but if Meyer was the one who suggested it to BB perhaps it is reality.

Gasper is skeptical about everything.

I can't remember who the poster was, but he felt STRONGLY that Kool Aid needed a "tight number," and then was apoplectic that it ended up 39. :rolleyes:

Ma, we've got to hunt that guy down! It's obvious we got a steal and a tight number would boost this guy into the dominant pass rushing OLB I know he could be.

Of course he's right, Maroney just needs a new number.

that's what I'm seeing. Thees rushers that wind up from the get go and go full bore make great highlight films, but how about when they misdiagnose the play?

Cunningham is always where the play is, but when he rushes, he just makes people whiff.

No bullshirt sack dances or chest thumping either.

He needs to get stronger, but if he looks that svelte at up to 266, why can't he pack some solid muscle on?

Moves can be learned, also.

All the outside moves have looked like this, looks like he was trying to catch a ghost.:D

Top of screen 1:33

YouTube - Lott Shots top-5 hits from Week 9

Turn on game tape to try and watch Spikes or Dunlap and all you see is Cunningham around the ball on every play

You're not the only guy saying this. That makes me feel increasingly good about the pick.

so this is what I don't get with the jermaine cunningham selection...does this change our defensive scheme now? because with the addition of spikes and cunningham, we now have a glutton of Lb's either coming off injury, through the draft, or holdovers from last year. Also, watching tape of cunningham and reading the scouting report, he doesnt have very good strength at the point of attack, good pursuit to the ball, but usually gets overwhelmed by tackles, and gets his sacks on stunts or mismatches on the RB of TE. He's also not a very tackler in space. So this leads me to believe that we'll be seeing alot of 4-3 looks, with cunningham rushing the QB via blitz packages.....except we still havent solved our DE problem yet....so after seeing a flurry of 7th rounders used on DLman, is BB just throwing anything and everything he can (i.e. gerard warren, and 7th round flyers) at this spot until we can find somebody that can stick???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes