Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start this.

*with apologies to Ian.

--
NOTE FROM Ian:
*No Aplogies necessary - I was in the car on my way home from work so I appreciate you starting it :) *

Last edited:
Re: Reaction Thread to the Brandon Spikes selection

Someone I didn't think I'd see us draft.

Another LB...depth problem finally addressed

Leader on defense and a true football player.

I like.

spikes is the best pick by the pats so far.

Last edited:

Got the it factor. Excellent pick.

Like Taylor Mays, had Spikes had came out last year, he was first round all the way, no?

Just a really good football player. Nothing to hate about the pick.

Oh man. I love it. I've always liked Spikes, but after his 40 time I dropped him into the fourth round or so. I hope he can improve his stack and shed abilities, but he's a heck of a player. Also, I think he can shift inside or out depending on how we want to use them--he's a very, very good blitzer. Good stuff. :cool:

He was a consensus first round pick after a fantastic junior season. He didn't play as well last year but I think a lot of that had to do with a nagging groin & Achilles hill injury that followed him all year as well as him being distracted after being suspended for the Vandy game.

Obviously his speed will limit him in some ways, but I think we'll be fine with Spikes on 1st & 2nd down and Guyton in for 3rd down and obvious passing situations.

They had him at 249 lbs. It looks to me he could frame up to 260-265.

Anybody have any ideas? Don't to slow him down but he looked like he could take more weight.

Perfect fit for what NE is going to ask from him, play next to Mayo and be the SILB thumper the Pats have been missing since Ted Johnson. Frees up Mayo to play WILB and roam around and cause havoc. Awesome pic along with the other 2nd rounders. Guys from rotoworld love the pic as well...

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more. Rotoworld.com

Patriots selected Florida ILB Brandon Spikes with the No. 62 pick in the 2010 draft.
We love this pick. A close friend of Florida coach Urban Meyer, Bill Belichick has an obvious affinity for Gators. Spikes is an excellent fit as the Ted backer next to Jerod Mayo in the Pats' 3-4 scheme. Though he couldn't break 5.0 seconds in the forty, Spikes' college production was elite and he won't be asked to run sideline to sideline in New England. A big hitter with playmaking cover skills, he'll give Gary Guyton a serious run for the starting lineup as a rookie.

Solid pick, if he pans out him and Mayo could be a dynamic ILB combo

They had him at 249 lbs. It looks to me he could frame up to 260-265.

Anybody have any ideas? Don't to slow him down but he looked like he could take more weight.

For speed purposes, they may want to keep him at his current weight. The 40 time is high but the kid can flat-out play. Hes nasty too. He had an eye-gouging issue last year vs I forget who...

I totally agree. I have a really good feeling about this pick.

This is a brilliant pick!!!!! Vernon Gholston had a great 40 time, and it serves him well on the bench! Tom Bardy had a bad forty, bad physique, all he knew is how to football and it served him pretty well! There is something to be said for guy who had such a productive career playing against top teams who gave Florida their best shot every week. If this ran 0.3 seconds faster in the forty he would have been take top 20 and now he is a Patriot. Will be an excellent fit ILB in the 3-4 next to Mayo. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes