PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to "The Brady 6"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of thoughts:

Brady said that he was told (I'm assuming by his agent) that he should expect to go anywhere between the 2nd and 3rd round? Does anyone remember if that was even remotely accurate? Agents always want to inflate to their clients expectations on where they think they will be selected. For example I know a recent draftee's father (Josh Hull, Penn State, St. Louis Rams). He was told by his agent that he could be selected as early as the fourth round. He ended up being selected in the 7th round at #254.

Also, they threw out a stat in the show that out of 326 (not sure of exact number) QB's that have ever been tested in the combine for 40 and vertical that Brady was number #326. Is that a true stat? It was almost like they said that tongue and cheek.

In answering my own question I found some old draft websites:

CBS SportsLine - Draft 2000: The Quarterbacks

Before bowl games Brady was ranked #6 behind Redman, Pennington, Rattay, Martin and Carmazzi

NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage - Powered by the Sports Xchange

Was ranked #9 (expected to be picked in 6th-7th round) behind Pennington, Redman, Bulger, Martin, Carmazzi, Todd Husak (Stanford), Doug Johnson (Florida) and Jarious Jackson (Notre Dame)

I think we was 576 out of 576. Loved Brady's answer to that. Well that's not exactly what a Quarterbacks job is. At that level i really thought it was about improving once you got there (figuring that most players were all talented with few "gifted" athletes). That show really highlighted the difference about making the most of your opportunities and being mentally tough to comeback from adversity (and being prepared).

I'd be interestign to see Peyton Mannings combine numbers as well. i'm sure he didn't have great numbers, but he had the lineage.

To answer the Manning question, from websites I looked at he ran a 4.80 40. But it doesn't sound like he worked out at the combine since he was coming off a knee injury.

Also, FYI I found Vince Wilfork's 40 time which was 5.21 which was better then Brady's 5.28.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

Brady said that he was told (I'm assuming by his agent) that he should expect to go anywhere between the 2nd and 3rd round?

Brady Sr. said it - I wonder if it was the NFL Draft Advisory Committee?

Brady Sr. said it - I wonder if it was the NFL Draft Advisory Committee?

Does the Draft Advisory Committee give you a grade if you are a senior? I always hear about those grades for underclassmen that are unsure of declaring for the draft.

To answer the Manning question, from websites I looked at he ran a 4.80 40. But it doesn't sound like he worked out at the combine since he was coming off a knee injury.

Also, FYI I found Vince Wilfork's 40 time which was 5.21 which was better then Brady's 5.28.

That is fairly pitiful and he was skinny (for a football player) in the images they showed. I remember reading the book about him that came out awhile back and he really did suffer through alot of adversity in his expectations at the collegiate level (from the coach who brought him into Michigan getting axed prior to the start of his freshman season, to the boosters really pushing to have Drew Henson as the starter)

Still, you figured he went to the orange bowl and managed to win 20 of 25 games he played, that he'd get better looks. But, Marriucci mentioned he never stood out during the day they had out in SF.

I would have loved to understood more of what was in BB's thinking and what he saw that made him "waste a roster spot" on keeping a 4th QB.

And as a personal favorite, I never get tired of seeing the video of him juking Urlacher.

Finally watched it!

Fantastic documentary! One of the best I have seen! I did think Henson was getting alot of stick from the radio presenter!

I did love Brady's comment about the pro bowl uniforms :)

That is fairly pitiful and he was skinny (for a football player) in the images they showed. I remember reading the book about him that came out awhile back and he really did suffer through alot of adversity in his expectations at the collegiate level (from the coach who brought him into Michigan getting axed prior to the start of his freshman season, to the boosters really pushing to have Drew Henson as the starter)

Still, you figured he went to the orange bowl and managed to win 20 of 25 games he played, that he'd get better looks. But, Marriucci mentioned he never stood out during the day they had out in SF.

I would have loved to understood more of what was in BB's thinking and what he saw that made him "waste a roster spot" on keeping a 4th QB.

And as a personal favorite, I never get tired of seeing the video of him juking Urlacher.

Was it Moving the Chains? That's the book I read about Tom Brady and they talked a lot about the Michigan days.

I think he was a waste of a roster spot because they knew they couldn't use him at all that year. It was just a developmental year for him. But they knew they didn't want to let him go because they saw the potential so they actually took the risk of wasting a roster spot on him. That's what I got out of it.

Was it Moving the Chains? That's the book I read about Tom Brady and they talked a lot about the Michigan days.

I think he was a waste of a roster spot because they knew they couldn't use him at all that year. It was just a developmental year for him. But they knew they didn't want to let him go because they saw the potential so they actually took the risk of wasting a roster spot on him. That's what I got out of it.

Precisely.
What BB saw post draft in 2000 camp was a QB who listened and learned and could run the parts of the offense he was given q.v. the SF exhibition game. Who unlike the starter, was coachable. 2000 was the last year of the Bishop experiment when teams were looking at the oh so trendy 'slash' style QBs. BB, always the innovator, took a look and was in the process of moving on. Given his penchant for squeezing whatever he can on ST guys with the 53rd spot, Brady's developmental upside potential must haave impressed.

I beleive it was Moving the Chains, though I'd have to check my shelf to be sure. BB did mention they didn't think he'd make it to the practice squad so that's why the kept him. I guess I'd have to see his 2000 pre-season. I don't seem to recall what I thought at the time.

2001 he did look pretty good and I remember people clearly beign in the Bledsoe court and saying Brady was going up against 2nd and 3rd tier players as the negative. but, you did get the impression from the footage and the things Bledsoe did that he wasa class act as a human being (and Bledsoe really did put the Patriots on the map as contenders).

Belichick admitting that Lloyd Carr's refusal to give Brady the starting job outright in his senior year made him "wonder if something was going on there" and was the reason they let him fall down the board. I know that Brady has been nothing but highly complimentary of Carr, but, in all of his emotion in his heart, he has to know in his head that that alone is the reason he fell all the way to the sixth round.
[Footnote: Carr's (mis-)judgment call has to be part of any assessment of Carr's legacy. He had the greatest QB of a generation (and among the best of all time) on his team for four years and caved to the campus and media politics that said Hensen was the next great thing instead of starting Tommy outright in his senior year, as he deserved.]

Not trying to defend Carr, but just wanted to point out that Brady started every game as a junior and senior. Carr did bring Henson in to begin the 2nd quarter of the first few games of Brady's senior season, but Brady always started and always finished. Once Carr stopped experimenting with the two-QB system, Michigan went on a big winning streak.

And Carr wasn't the only one who missed out on Brady. In addition to the rest of the NFL passing on Tom, don't forget that we drafted 6 other players before Brady: Adrian Klemm, J.R. Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, Dave Stachelski, Jeff Marriott, and Antwan Harris. ;)

The show was great; to my memory it is the most laudatory piece ever done by ESPN on a player before he retired. If it's possible to be "nostalgic before the fact," it kind of made me wonder what they'll cook up when he retires...maybe the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Jerusalem Bells a Ringing, Roman Cavalry Choirs Singing!!!

Finally got around to watching it (stupid project deadlines) and thought it was great. Probably should have stretched it to an hour and a half so some things didn't get cut as others mentioned, but very well done.

And I'll admit it got a bit dusty in here when Brady was talking about the draft at the end.

Does anybody know if this will be airing here in Canada on TSN at some point?

Does anybody know if this will be airing here in Canada on TSN at some point?

Likely not.
The market up here is Hockey centric (which bores me to tears outside of the playoffs).

-Jamman

What a great documentary. My favorite part was when Kirk Herbstreit said that Henson had to play over Brady because Brady didn't have nearly as much potential. It is amazing how willing NFL teams and even Brady's coaches at Michigan were willing to overlook his performance on the field. Everyone at Michigan now acknowledges that Brady was the leader of the team and that he outperformed Henson. Scouts should have realized he outperformed Henson, who they thought was number one pick material - logic, then Brady is number one pick material. That being said, scouting quarterbacks is probably the hardest job in sports and I understand how Brady was overlooked. THANK THE LORD.

As a Big Ten fan, I was always happy when Carr pulled Brady. Always seemed to work out for my team. I will also say that Brady must have been shocked at the pass rush in the NFL because in college, it only came from the outside edge. Those Michigan linemen were allowed to hold like mofos.

Florio makes a great point:

Can't agree with Florio at all on this. Romo didn't even play D1 ball. Small school, barely recruited--he had none of the expectations that Brady did as a top recruit. Though people might not have thought a lot of Brady, he was a top recruit for Michigan.

Likely not.
The market up here is Hockey centric (which bores me to tears outside of the playoffs).

-Jamman

I almost wondering if it'll end up on TSN2 where they show the E:60 documentaries.

Excellent show. The story never gets old and I'm certainly glad all of those things worked to land Brady with the Pats. Certainly with out Tommy Brady things would be a lot different, he's a once in a generation type player. I love how all the challenges he faced/faces only seem to drive him more.

It must KILL Giovanni to see all those pictures of Brady with a goat. :D

Absolutely loved this show. Re: Brady's emotion, I got emotional myself and it's integral to the Brady phenom because you saw up close and raw what drives this guy to this day. Other than repeating some things 10x instead of mention Rehbein and maybe Martinez, it was perfect. Recorded. One of the few anticipated shows that did not disappoint.

We are SO blessed to have this guy.

edit: I loved BB's statement that Tom beat out Drew in camp. I went to several camps in Smithfield that 2001 summer, and I said the same, Brady was better than Drew, and the Bledsoe Krishnas on USENET went ballistic.

I too shared your emotion. We are blessed. SO blessed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back