PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reaching for Barwin Against Patriot-Belichick Philosophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) If they were actual scouts, they wouldn't be writing blogs. They'd be studying film 20 hours a day, 7 days a week.

2) Bench reps? Seriously? Bench reps? That means functional playing strength? Bodybuilders can rep 450 for 15-20 reps, you think they'd have a prayer at stoning Wilfork? There's a 5'3 Scottish olympic lifter than can dunk. I wonder what that's a function of?

3) ESPN's draft service is dead f'ing wrong. Maybin was tossed by TE's. He had his pads in his throat on every run play. At least Barwin wasn't seven yards downfield after every snap.

4) Find a Penn State tape where Maybin is cracked down on during a sweep. After the play, note how green his jersey suddenly is. Barwin fought cracks really well when they came.

Wait. Wait. Hold on. I can play this game.....click on the url tab....google.com.....Everette Brown....mmmmk...click on the ESPN link....ok.....ctrl+c....ok, now back to Patsfans tab.....ctrl+v. Bow to my prowess!

ok...fahk...gotta say this. These days, the so called experts out there think that every undersized defensive end with reasonable speed is a 3-4 OLB. Let me say this very clearly, they don't know what they are talking about. The positions require two very different skill sets. They require different abilities, different player profiles, different intelligence attributes, different everything. Just look at the player play and think about how that will correlate to playing within the Patriots system. This isn't rocket science.

Great Post!!

I was seriously bummed when BB bundled a third and second to take Chad Jackson - I watched the Eagles take another "raw" defensive end from a small school, Chris Gocong. He's only been the starting Sam on a Jim Johnson pressure defense the past two years. The next year I watch BB sit tight and let the Eagles grab Stewart Bradley in the third round about four picks or so before NE picked - I later read a Reiss note commenting on how unhappy the draft room at Gillette was over that move. Bradley took over the MLB job as a rookie and has been super.

To be fair, weren't their reports that the Pats did try to move up to grab him, but couldn't find any takers?

And here's an interesting question for you—would you have taken Bradley in 2007 if it meant no Mayo in 2008?

To be fair, weren't their reports that the Pats did try to move up to grab him, but couldn't find any takers?

And here's an interesting question for you—would you have taken Bradley in 2007 if it meant no Mayo in 2008?
I don't recall any reports of an attempt to move up, not to say there wasn't any.

The correct question for that pick will be formulated when #47 is used in this draft...assuming it doesn't get bumped ahead a third time. Mayo was drafted with the #28 pick that year... :D

the pats reached for mayo..........

the pats reached for maroney.........

the pats reached for mankins........

the pats reached for watson.........

the pats reached for graham and branch.........

the pats reached for light........

almost every high pick the pats have made had negative value with respect to 'conventional wisdom' prior to the draft

this assertion is dumb

I first posted about Barwin at the end of November, well before any "numbers" came in.

Correction. Your first post on Barwin was Oct 30th:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/171477-if-we-want-te-help.html

Speaking of TE - if you get a chance to look at Cincinnati before the season is over, check out DE Connor Barwin. He was a 30+ catch TE last season and took TE reps as a true freshman, he also plays basketball at Cincy. What's fun is he is leading the Big East in sacks with 7. Watching the USF @ Cincy game on BSPN tonight he was a force on defense, then he came in and did a Vrabel on offense catching a short yardage TD. NFLDraftScout.com has him the #11 DE (5th round projection) at 6'4" 255. Draft Prospect lust at first sight. Grab this kid for an OLB conversion and you get a #3 TE/STs stud while he's learning the new job.

And for the record, 10 days later, yours truly thought he was informing the board first about Barwin, only to be directed by DaBruinz to your post above:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...69-needs-analysis-linebacker.html#post1151938

IF, we want to add even more youth to the OLB position, one prospect to consider may be: Connor Barwin, a 6-4 255 senior DE from Cincinnati. A Former TE, he leads his team in sacks while also being a standout on ST. This versatility and ST ability make him a possible developmental candidate. A R2-3 projection.

BOR mentioned this kid in another thread...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/171477-if-we-want-te-help.html

Barwin is a 2/3 projection and rising currently.. So he could, very well, be a guy the Patriots look at with the San Diego pick...

And he could be the next Mike Vrabel.... lining up at the TE spot in Goal Line formations.

---

So there we have it. The origin of the Barwinian Theory of Evolution. The rest as they say -- will be history...with the trial date scheduled for April 28, 2009.

Correction. Your first post on Barwin was Oct 30th:

And for the record, 10 days later, yours truly thought he was informing the board first about Barwin, only to be directed by DaBruinz to your post above:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...69-needs-analysis-linebacker.html#post1151938

---

So there we have it. The origin of the Barwinian Theory of Evolution. The rest as they say -- will be history...with the trial date scheduled for April 28, 2009.
FTSCnew.GIF

the pats reached for mayo..........

the pats reached for maroney.........

the pats reached for mankins........

the pats reached for watson.........

the pats reached for graham and branch.........

the pats reached for light........

almost every high pick the pats have made had negative value with respect to 'conventional wisdom' prior to the draft

this assertion is dumb

As it has been said before, it's hard to know who they reached for, b/c its all based on their draft board, not that of the media (mayocks and kipers).

Even though you didn't mention him, they may have graded chad jackson has a 1st rounder (but not as high as Maroney), and that's why they felt he was worth moving up for. Obviously, they were wrong in their projection (at least projecting how he would do on the Pats), but drafting is not a perfecting science.

He may have, I never followed USC that closely, but Rivers, like Matthews, started as a Safety was moved to OLB. Rivers played around 235, he was 241 for the Combine, then down to 233 or something for his Pro Day which was when I pulled him off my board and bumped Mayo up to the top of the ILB list. Matthews saw time at DE as a reserve and starter last season, so he's got much more versatility and deserves to be in the discussion, it's just that Petey Carroll really uses his LBs so much differently than BB does, so when I see Matthews play I see his speed, but not his power - and power is a key component in NE football if you're going to win the Line of Scrimmage. Thanks for the comment on Rivers, it's a good comparison to a guy we were discussing as an ILB this time last year.

I don't follow USC really closely either, also - my point was less that Matthews is a really similar player to Rivers, I just thought it would be prudent to point out that Matthews may have been held back less for his own talents, and more for the fact that he was sitting behind a top-10 talent at outside linebacker who was better suited for what Pete Carroll wanted to do with his linebackers - while I'm no expert on linebackers or football in general I definitely feel like matthews is a better fit for this team than Rivers was.

I think that Matthews could be a contributing member to the Pats, but it would definitely be in a novel role that BB would have imagined for him - he isnt the second coming of any previous pats linebackers.

And you're welcome, I'm just having fun talking football, the draft is always really interesting

this assertion is dumb

Any pick that isn't a steal/good value will be considered a reach. Where's the middle ground?

Any pick that isn't a steal/good value will be considered a reach. Where's the middle ground?

seymour was middle ground.........warren was middle ground

wilfork is pretty much the only 'steal' since most mocks had him in the early teens

I'm confused about something.

Look at this thread. Read the title and the original post. It is very clearly focused as "an argument against Connor Barwin"...but it's not. It's actually an argument against an entire position category. It works just as well if you plug in the names Larry English, Aaron Maybin, etc.

This comes up a lot. People rail against choosing Barwin high because he'd be switching positions, or because there are other good prospects at the position. Those are reasonble issues to discuss, so let's separate them from the lightning rod that is Barwin and get to the real point:

Are you suggesting that that no OLB prospect in this draft, regardless of talent, should be considered in round one? Or that the Patriots should NEVER spend a high draft pick on an OLB, because that job almost always requires a position shift?

I don't follow USC really closely either, also - my point was less that Matthews is a really similar player to Rivers, I just thought it would be prudent to point out that Matthews may have been held back less for his own talents, and more for the fact that he was sitting behind a top-10 talent at outside linebacker who was better suited for what Pete Carroll wanted to do with his linebackers - while I'm no expert on linebackers or football in general I definitely feel like matthews is a better fit for this team than Rivers was.

I think that Matthews could be a contributing member to the Pats, but it would definitely be in a novel role that BB would have imagined for him - he isnt the second coming of any previous pats linebackers.

And you're welcome, I'm just having fun talking football, the draft is always really interesting
patchick stirring up trouble aside ;) ...

I'm sure there were some very talented people playing in positions were Matthews might have been used, prior to this year I knew he had worked at DE and LB and was considered an attractice prospect for Day Two, more so than Cushing to some, while the Maualuga fan club was almost suicidal after he stayed for his senior year. Matthews skyrocketed this year, just like that other fellow, and few seem to blink because he played for USC amidst all the hype there. It's your typical pre-draft extravaganza, some unknown has come out from under his bushel basket and has pushed some long term favorites off the front page causing severe heartburn. Thankfully we're still having fun. :D

Are you suggesting that that no OLB prospect in this draft, regardless of talent, should be considered in round one? Or that the Patriots should NEVER spend a high draft pick on an OLB, because that job almost always requires a position shift?

I'm making the assumption that BB doesn't consider Barwin in a separate class above the other OLB's. In a way, you're right, if a bunch of quality OLB prospects are available at #23 and BB thinks they are about the same potential and he can still get one with a second rounder, then yes I don't think he'll "reach" and will wait to grab another position first.

patchick stirring up trouble aside ;) ...

I'm sure there were some very talented people playing in positions were Matthews might have been used, prior to this year I knew he had worked at DE and LB and was considered an attractice prospect for Day Two, more so than Cushing to some, while the Maualuga fan club was almost suicidal after he stayed for his senior year. Matthews skyrocketed this year, just like that other fellow, and few seem to blink because he played for USC amidst all the hype there. It's your typical pre-draft extravaganza, some unknown has come out from under his bushel basket and has pushed some long term favorites off the front page causing severe heartburn. Thankfully we're still having fun. :D

yeah, to address "the other prospect" as I guess he's being referred to these days, I really don't care who BB drafts - i have been a fan long enough to know that whoever belichick picks is the right guy for the patriots at that point in time, at that spot in the draft - i love thinking about the new dimensions certain prospects bring to the draft.

I guess you could say Matthews is my binky but I would be the first to admit that he has at best a questionable role in the pats defense - Regardless of who gets picked I'm going to be excited with how they fit with the pats scheme.

Anyway, as has probably been mentioned in this thread earlier - I don't think its against Belichick's philosphy to "reach" for anyone, mainly because he values "value" so highly that whoever he picks at a certain spot will represent a good ratio of usefulness to team vs. availability of other similarly useful people/cost.

The only thing I'm pretty sure on is I doubt that BB takes two first day linebackers (inside or out) I am fairly certain he'll take at least one, either in the late first or early second, because that seems to be where all the potential 3-4 OLBs are going to go - but I think if he takes barwin, regardless of the actual draft spot, matthews/cushing/maualuga/sintim/english are all out, and vice versa

The only thing I'm pretty sure on is I doubt that BB takes two first day linebackers (inside or out) I am fairly certain he'll take at least one, either in the late first or early second, because that seems to be where all the potential 3-4 OLBs are going to go - but I think if he takes barwin, regardless of the actual draft spot, matthews/cushing/maualuga/sintim/english are all out, and vice versa
Perhaps, I believe he won't take a Day One ILB...unless it's another "reach" at #58 to grab someone he doesn't think will still be there for #89. I just don't think the ILBs whom pundits project to Day One are good fits for NE. I could see him drafting two Day One OLB prospects, either for OLB or because he may feel Barwin is a better TE fit for NE.

Perhaps, I believe he won't take a Day One ILB...unless it's another "reach" at #58 to grab someone he doesn't think will still be there for #89. I just don't think the ILBs whom pundits project to Day One are good fits for NE. I could see him drafting two Day One OLB prospects, either for OLB or because he may feel Barwin is a better TE fit for NE.

The idea of a Connor Barwin/Jason Williams haul on draft day is starting to grow on me. Do you think Williams can make it as a Pats 3-4 ILB? He's reportedly 6'1 241 lbs. Obivously Barwin is a day 1 pick and Williams is a day 2 pick.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=73155&draftyear=2009&genpos=OLB

Last edited:

I think once it hits day 2 all bets are off - mostly developmental picks/practice squad guys so BB could go any number of directions.

If the pats draft Barwin as a TE, then yes I agree another OLB prospect probably will get picked. However, I don't for example, see BB picking Sintim AND English (if that were somehow possible) and so similarly I don't see him picking Barwin AND English or Barwin AND Matthews, etc. Its just too many high-value picks being concentrated into one aspect of the team, especially when there are solid value guys at other positions of relative need like Beatty, Delmas, or Gilbert.

Honestly my sleeper of all sleepers is if Michael Johnson manages to fall to the second round I could see BB taking a flyer on the guy - I realize that that seems like a pretty questionable pick due to work ethic issues but for better or for worse the patriots have not been scared to pick guys like that in the past (albeit with mixed results) But the guy is 6'7 260 and probably the closest we're going to get to having another Willie McGinest in quite some time. I'm not saying its really likely, just saying its definitely something BB will have to consider, especially when he can get some added info on the guy from Guyton

The idea of a Connor Barwin/Jason Williams haul on draft day is starting to grow on me. Do you think Williams can make it as a Pats 3-4 ILB? He's reportedly 6'1 241 lbs. Obivously Barwin is a day 1 pick and Williams is a day 2 pick.

Jason Williams | Western Illinois, OLB : 2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
Mayo reportedly played last season at 242. He did struggle with OL blocking him, but that was to be expected and I saw some improvement there - we'll see where is for his weigh-in this year. Williams certainly has the athleticism and coverage skill for the job, 40+ TFL and a number of sacks says he can shoot a gap as well as anyone. I saw him stand up a TE, so he seems to have some of what will be needed, he'll obviously have to get stronger and I assume he'll put on another 5 pounds of muscle...it all looks doable, NE could wind up having a very fast ILB corps.

I think once it hits day 2 all bets are off - mostly developmental picks/practice squad guys so BB could go any number of directions.

If the pats draft Barwin as a TE, then yes I agree another OLB prospect probably will get picked. However, I don't for example, see BB picking Sintim AND English (if that were somehow possible) and so similarly I don't see him picking Barwin AND English or Barwin AND Matthews, etc. Its just too many high-value picks being concentrated into one aspect of the team, especially when there are solid value guys at other positions of relative need like Beatty, Delmas, or Gilbert.

Honestly my sleeper of all sleepers is if Michael Johnson manages to fall to the second round I could see BB taking a flyer on the guy - I realize that that seems like a pretty questionable pick due to work ethic issues but for better or for worse the patriots have not been scared to pick guys like that in the past (albeit with mixed results) But the guy is 6'7 260 and probably the closest we're going to get to having another Willie McGinest in quite some time. I'm not saying its really likely, just saying its definitely something BB will have to consider, especially when he can get some added info on the guy from Guyton
I could still see BB drafting a Barwin early and also drafting a Sidbury later in the second - I probably wouldn't, but it depends on what's on the board. Vince Redd could bulk up and slide to DE. Craig could work at ILB, or wind-up in KC or Denver. TBC and Alexander are certainly not locks. As for another Willie, Redd is already there at 6'6" 260 he's an inch taller and 10 lbs lighter. Crable is there for height, we'll see if he gains any weight after a year of NFL conditioning.

One issue that increases skepticism for whether the Pats (specifically the Pats) will take Barwin higher than Mayock, Brandt, or others have him ranked (roughly a mid-2nd-rounder) is that there are MANY talented DE and OLB prospects this year.

There aren't that many "talented" DE and OLB prospects who projects into 3-4 OLBs.

There have been many classic draft threads through the years on this forum, speculating on methodology, value groupings (by rookBoston I believe), and the myth or explaining of the Pats 'reaching' for certain players. Based on these understandings, it isn't convincing or consistent why the Patriots would use a #1 pick on Barwin. I believe it goes against Belichick's history and his own draft strategy.

People claim the Pats "reach" for players because they base that information off where prospects are rated according to draft sites or these so called experts. The Patriots use their own scouts and have their own rating system. And, from the mouth of Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli, the Patriots draft based on Best Value Available according to their draft board. And they have spelled out in Management Secrets of the New England Patriots and, to a lesser extent, Patriot Reign, how they rate prospects. Its a 1-10 scale with 10 being the top and 1 being they wouldn't touch the player if he was the last player alive and the roster was empty.

Now, considering that BB has a history of "reaching" for players based on the draft sites (Watson, Mayo, Wilhite, Wheatley, Hobbs, Mankins, etc, etc,) how can you say it goes against his draft strategy and history?

Belichick took Watson and others (like Mayo) "early" because he saw a major drop-off in the next best available talent by the time his next pick came around, and possibly because he couldn't predict how long that player would last. He also moved/traded up to grab certain players because he likely projected that player to be the last left in the same caliber/talent grouping, and wanted to nab him before certain teams he knew were interested could pick. He also stayed pat and took Seymour and Warren when there were other more touted defensive players he could have traded up for (no matter how much the media hyped up those other players). Finally, he has never drafted a major positional conversion project before, especially with a high pick.

Belichick took Watson because he couldn't trade the pick and Watson was the BVA on the Patriots draft board.

Ummm.. Where are you getting that the Patriots could have traded UP to get someone better than Seymour? The Patriots DID trade up to get Warren.

You are dead wrong about BB having never drafted a major positional conversion project before. Justin Rogers, Jeremy Mincey, and Tully Banta-Cain were all draft picks who played DE in college and were converting to 3-4 OLB.

Just because BB has never drafted 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB project in the first round doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. Prior to Wilfork in 2004, BB had only drafted 1 underclassmen. That was Patrick Pass. Prior to 2008, BB had never drafted a LB in the first round. Prior to 2007, BB hadn't drafted a DB in the first round while the HC of the Patriots. Prior to 2005, BB had never drafted an interior lineman in the 1st round, yet he drafted Mankins. Prior to 2006, BB hadn't drafted a RB in the first round, yet he drafted Maroney. If there is anything that I've learned about BB over the years of following the draft, its that past history does not guarantee future actions.

All of these reasons make it hard to believe Belichick would use a 1st round pick on a player when it's very likely there will still be similarly comparable players still left on the board.

Just because its hard to believe, that doesn't make it impossible.

Now, as for this "similarly comparable players," who are they? And what makes you believe it won't take them 2-3 years to be productive? And can they be productive on Special Teams while gaining the reps and experience necessary to make an impact as an every down LB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes