PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-sign Light or an OT at 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any idea how 2012 looks for franchise tackles?

2011 just doesn't seem to have the normal certaintly of tackle talent.

I think light could play guard...I think he realizes he's 33 and has at most a year or two left. Pats probably sign him to a 2 year deal for minimal money, maybe 7-8M total.

Or they let him go.

Good luck with that. Light is coming off of another pro bowl season. Deserved or not, that is an accolade which will be used as a bargaining chip come negotiation time. The only way Light stays is if he see's his end as a Patriot is near, doesn't want to up and move his family and wants to honestly stay in NE at a discounted rate. Or the organization just flat out commits to him with a fair offer that both parties agree on. Cut and dry.

Why am I not shocked you think it makes sense to use the franchise tag on Meriweather? Outside of the fact that he's signed through 2012.

Well, according to Miguel, whom I trust over any other source, Meriweather is signed through 2011. So we both suck. So take whatever insult you want to throw at me, apply it to yourself as well, and let's move on.

The question is what are the various scenarios.

If Mankins is resigned but the 2011 tackle position is not satisfactory; a franchise tag is viable if you don't want to committ to 2 or 3 years. $11 million is steep but left tackles are the high paid guys on the line.

By signing Light to a multi-year extension, you're not committing to sh!t. You can cut him the next year and only be on the hook for signing bonus. First year salary + signing bonus will probably be less than 11 mil. Plus if Light ends up being your best option the next year, you have him under control instead of franchising him again.

If Mankins leaves, Light will be in a much better negotiating position. What if his demands are too high? Franchise should be considered.

Besides, It is my belief that Light is undervalued here. There is less risk franchising Light than there was Cassel based on Oline needs in the league. If Light was franchised in an unsettled situation, it should be easier to reach a settlement satisfactory to the Patriots, Light, and the other team.

Is Light undervalued by the fan base? Possibly. But in no way is there less risk than there was in franchising Matt Cassel. Cassel was a free agent coming off of an 11 win season in a league where quality quarterbacking is hard to come by. If you believe that Matt Light has equal demand, I don't know what to tell you, other than a possible franchise QB has a lot more value than a league-average offensive tackle. You talk as if Oline needs around the league are greater than QB needs around the league.

How many teams are not looking for Oline help?
Every team, including the Pats. It doesn't mean they would pay an average OT a top 4 salary.

What is the tackle replacement plan?
What is Mankins plan?
What are Light's demands?

There is a difference between probability and possibility. Possible Light franchising:

Mankins stays, Light demands too high, 2011 draft and/or trade does not produce good replacement.

Mankins goes, Light demands too high, want year to acclimate new guard.

2012 has much better left tackle replacement.

Still doesn't justify overpaying Light. And this is all irrelevant to your original point, which was to franchise Light and try to trade him, not franchise Light and keep him.

Last edited:
One can always count on you for comic relief.

I think light could play guard...I think he realizes he's 33 and has at most a year or two left. Pats probably sign him to a 2 year deal for minimal money, maybe 7-8M total.

Or they let him go.

Absolutely! Be sure to bring this post up when Light is playing guard for us for $4M or under a year. :)

As for the comic relief, there is no reason to wait and see. That comic relief is being enjoyed now.

we'll see.

Why is that relevant? Franchise LT's are usually drafted in the top 16. We won't be drafting there anytime soon.

You are correct that there are no franchise OT's this year. Perhaps we will have the pick of the rest at 17. I'm not sure how the situation would be any different if there we also 3 fracnhise LT's drafted in the top 10 of this year's draft. We wouldn't be trading up for an OT.

We certainly can't count on having a rookie play LT in 2012.

Anybody have any idea how 2012 looks for franchise tackles?

2011 just doesn't seem to have the normal certaintly of tackle talent.

Why is that relevant? Franchise LT's are usually drafted in the top 16. We won't be drafting there anytime soon.

You are correct that there are no franchise OT's this year. Perhaps we will have the pick of the rest at 17. I'm not sure how the situation would be any different if there we also 3 fracnhise LT's drafted in the top 10 of this year's draft. We wouldn't be trading up for an OT.

We certainly can't count on having a rookie play LT in 2012.

Why is my question relevant?

Well, we did seem to draft Vollmer in the 2nd round. Light was drafted in the 2nd round.

If 2012 is a deeper pool than 2011, there is greater chance mangement will wait till next year for a replacement. Tackles have been known as a position easier to project and a cornacopia of studs in 2012 make better talent available when we pick at 32.

Besides who is to say the 17 pick will not be traded?

Bill Belichick has been the coach since 2000. It seems pretty evident that in his thinking, the guy is disciplined, multi dimensional, and multi year.

Why do you think he would waste a draft pick in 2011 to not solve a problem if a solution is available in 2012?

Absolutely! Be sure to bring this post up when Light is playing guard for us for $4M or under a year. :)

As for the comic relief, there is no reason to wait and see. That comic relief is being enjoyed now.

Yes, but if I'm right, then YOU are the comic relief. Not what you write, but you yourself. If he signs for 10M per year (at age 33, good one), then you're right.

I never said that Light will get $10M a year. Let's be clear.

YOU SAY
Light will get $4M or less a year for 2 years to play OG.

I SAY
Light will get $5M or more a year for 3 years to play LT.

Yes, but if I'm right, then YOU are the comic relief. Not what you write, but you yourself. If he signs for 10M per year (at age 33, good one), then you're right.

Last edited:
OK, next year will be deeper at LT than this year.

IMHO, Belichick will not project that he will be able to draft a franchise LT in 2012, picking in the late 20's at the very highest.

In any case, this may be moot if Belichick is OK with Kaczur at starting RT and Vollmer at starting RT.

Why is my question relevant?

Well, we did seem to draft Vollmer in the 2nd round. Light was drafted in the 2nd round.

If 2012 is a deeper pool than 2011, there is greater chance mangement will wait till next year for a replacement. Tackles have been known as a position easier to project and a cornacopia of studs in 2012 make better talent available when we pick at 32.

Besides who is to say the 17 pick will not be traded?

Bill Belichick has been the coach since 2000. It seems pretty evident that in his thinking, the guy is disciplined, multi dimensional, and multi year.

Why do you think he would waste a draft pick in 2011 to not solve a problem if a solution is available in 2012?

It's in the Pats' style to keep options open. If they resign Light to a short deal AND draft at least one OT whose pro position may or may not turn out to be OG, they'll have a lot of balls in the air ... which is just how they like it.

I agree with trying to re-sign Light. I don't think that he will sign a short shot deal, either in the sense of short money or short duration.

I also agree that we will look at OT even if we re-sign Light> However, the urgency will no longer be there.

It's in the Pats' style to keep options open. If they resign Light to a short deal AND draft at least one OT whose pro position may or may not turn out to be OG, they'll have a lot of balls in the air ... which is just how they like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back