PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re: Offensive Linemen. This Is A Must Read [Mitchell Schwartz & Brandon Mosley]

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
An excellent breakdown of most of the OL's in the draft by scouts. If, following Matt Light's retirement, we are to draft someone for the OL, you can probably find your favourite prospect from this list:

Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen - JSOnline

My two favourites:

7. MITCHELL SCHWARTZ California 6-5½ 318 5.40 2-3
Highly seasoned, with 35 starts at LT and 16 at RT. "He's just one of those guys that will play right tackle, line up for you and play," one scout said. Older brother, Geoff, started 16 games at RT and RG for Carolina in 2010 and signed with the Vikings on March 26. "Now he's not going to win any beauty contests," another scout said. "He's not athletically what you want in a left tackle. But those are the guys that play. Guys like Jonathan Martin, we get all excited about and we draft them in the first round and it's guys like Schwartz that end up playing in the offensive line because they're smart (Wonderlic of 35) and tough." Compared by one scout to former Eagle RT Jon Runyan. Hails from Pacific Palisades, Calif.

Could play OG as well as RT.

10. BRANDON MOSLEY Auburn 6-5½ 314 5.16 4
Played two years in junior college as a TE-LB. Moved to O-line by the Tigers in spring 2010 and started two years at RT. "Developmental guy," one scout said. "I really like his demeanor. Tough. I think he's got a chance to be something but it will be a year or two away." Largest hands (11) of the tackles. Strong, punishing run blocker. "Their line was atrocious this year and he was the best one they had," another scout said. "He's real stiff athletically even though he's a former tight end." Out of Jefferson, Ga.

A former TE playing OT you say? Sounds familiar. And being described as a "punishing run blocker" also makes him sound like a swing OG/OT player which is exactly what we need, if at all.

Re: Offensive Linemen. This Is A Must Read

Seems like a lot of the scouting reports question the passion of these lineman.

I like Mosley at ROT. A bit of a knee bender. Sinks the hips well. Really capable of driving out on run blocking. He needs some coaching and technique work, but we have a really good Oline coach for that.

I like what I read about Joe Looney from Wake Forest

Scouts always encourage players to go to the Senior Bowl, but in Looney's case his participation cost him a bunch of money. It was in Mobile where he suffered a broken foot. "He's an absolute steal in the fourth," one scout said. "You can say he's kind of a dumpy-looking guy and he's stiff and a straight-line athlete. But the more you watch, all he does is his job. He played as a true freshman. Al Groh rarely does that. That says something to me. He gets movement in line. You don't see a ton of guys do that anymore. Very, very tough." Started for 3½ years at LG. Native of Lake Worth, Fla. "He's awfully stiff," one scout said. "Great effort. Wonderful attitude. He's a coach pleaser. Very strong. He can play center or guard."

I like Josh LeRebius from SMU mainly because I work with his second cousin and it would be wonderful if he had to start cheering for the Pats. :)

I am surprised that one of the scouts still has a job with thinking like this:
"Not a bad kid at all," another scout said. "I just don't know if football is that important to him. He was raised by women, which bothers me. I mean, how tough can he be? It's not his fault, but it's still reality."

Shows me that the scout is a chauvinist who is absolutely clueless about how tough women are when it comes to pain and such...

I think that it's telling that Mike Brewster didn't make the top 5 of centers on that list..

I think that it's telling that Mike Brewster didn't make the top 5 of centers on that list..

Sometimes these young adults get crucified for not staying in school. This is one of the cases you could say that lost a ton of money by staying.

I still think Dante could do some tremendous things with this kid.

"I just don't know if football is that important to him. He was raised by women, which bothers me. I mean, how tough can he be? It's not his fault, but it's still reality."

It shows me that many professional scouts are absolute morons, as are the teams that hire them.

I would hope that the "if you're so smart about evaluating football players why don't you work for NFL teams" people should reconsider their position. The fact that a "profession" scout/evaluator would consider whether a player was raised by women or how many red-haired QBs have been successful in the league casts serious doubt on how much teams want to win as opposed to not upsetting the established order among their peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes