Welcome to PatsFans.com

Re: Kickoff Special Team

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by arrellbee, Aug 31, 2006.

1. arrellbee

arrellbee Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Felger had interesting comments on this same topic of length versus hang-time:

This also may have been one of the factors in the tradeoff of keeping Gostkowski versus Gramatica. Didn't see any media comments and unless we used our own stop watch, it wouldn't have been noticeable in preseason kickoffs by the two.
  2. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

They looked short to me but the coverage was ok. The return game looks a little lack luster, Maroney had a nice run but I would rather see someone else in that role. It looks like he will get a 50/50 split of the carries to start the year, a number that will increase as the season goes along.

Solution - 1) Sign Branch 2) Look for a veteran returner, ideally a WR but a CB would be ok. Names Rossum (ATL), Eddie Drummond (DET)
  3. MDPATSFAN

MDPATSFAN Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can't find it now, but I read an article last year in which BB quoted stats on how an opponent's starting position translated to points. Wish I could find it!
  4. LA Pats Fan

LA Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The Math

If a player can run 40 yds in 5 seconds (most are faster)
    This equates to 8 yds per second
    0.2 sec of hang time is worth 1.6 yards

If a player can run 40 yds in 4 seconds (hypothetically but bounding)
    This equates to 10 yds per second
    0.2 sec of hang time is worth 2 yards.

Point is increases in hang time on the order of .1 to .2 are not significant if the penalty is loss of yardage.

Coachs probably are looking at consistancy. Is his hang time consistant with distance having a wide variation, or is his distance consistant with hang time being variable
  5. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 3 / -0

Re: The Math

You need to double the yardage; not only has the returner began running, but the coverage is given more time to get downfield.

I'm sure the difference is more than pure yardage, though. It also messes up the timing of the blocking on the return.