PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re: Kickoff Special Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrellbee

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
arrellbee said:
A couple things I would be fascinated to have some insight into.

What is Belichick's tradeoff valuation between a kickoff that goes into the end zone versus a longer hang time ? A corollary to that would be whether in preseason he is asking Gostkowski to kick shorter so as to be able to get a chance to evaluate kick coverage better ? Those questions will probably be answered when we get to the regular season and see what Gostkowski does.

The second question is, what is Belichick's tradeoff valuation between a higher odds of tackling a returner inside the 30 yard line versus trying to stop him inside the 20 but with a higher risk of a long return ?

At the moment, my perception (no tape review or stats to add any credibility) is that they are averaging kick returners getting to the 25 yard line. Geeesh. I just went ahead and checked the Washington game and they averaged return run yardage average of 20.7. That would have put the Patriots in the top 5 best compared to last year in terms of limiting kickoff returns.

Washington's average return was to the 25.17 yard line. The best last year (Atlanta) average yardage allowed was to the 25.8, so that would have made Pats number one in limiting opponents kickoff starting position.
Felger had interesting comments on this same topic of length versus hang-time:

Boston Herald:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=154782&format=text

" While rookie kicker Stephen Gostkowski made a nice tackle on a second-quarter return, his kickoffs were noticeably short. Gostkowski had eight kickoffs and not one reached the end zone. The closest he got was the 2-yard line. The rest landed between the 4 and 10.

Belichick said a kickoff that reaches the end zone losses effectiveness if it doesn’t have the proper hang time. For example, a kick that has two-tenths of a second more hang time is better off coming down on the 2 than a kick that goes to the goal line and doesn’t have that hang time.

As a result, Gostkowski may not have graded out as poorly as it looked to the naked eye. "
This also may have been one of the factors in the tradeoff of keeping Gostkowski versus Gramatica. Didn't see any media comments and unless we used our own stop watch, it wouldn't have been noticeable in preseason kickoffs by the two.

They looked short to me but the coverage was ok. The return game looks a little lack luster, Maroney had a nice run but I would rather see someone else in that role. It looks like he will get a 50/50 split of the carries to start the year, a number that will increase as the season goes along.

Solution - 1) Sign Branch 2) Look for a veteran returner, ideally a WR but a CB would be ok. Names Rossum (ATL), Eddie Drummond (DET)

I can't find it now, but I read an article last year in which BB quoted stats on how an opponent's starting position translated to points. Wish I could find it!

The Math

If a player can run 40 yds in 5 seconds (most are faster)
This equates to 8 yds per second
0.2 sec of hang time is worth 1.6 yards

If a player can run 40 yds in 4 seconds (hypothetically but bounding)
This equates to 10 yds per second
0.2 sec of hang time is worth 2 yards.

Point is increases in hang time on the order of .1 to .2 are not significant if the penalty is loss of yardage.

Coachs probably are looking at consistancy. Is his hang time consistant with distance having a wide variation, or is his distance consistant with hang time being variable

Re: The Math

LA Pats Fan said:
If a player can run 40 yds in 5 seconds (most are faster)
This equates to 8 yds per second
0.2 sec of hang time is worth 1.6 yards

If a player can run 40 yds in 4 seconds (hypothetically but bounding)
This equates to 10 yds per second
0.2 sec of hang time is worth 2 yards.

Point is increases in hang time on the order of .1 to .2 are not significant if the penalty is loss of yardage.

Coachs probably are looking at consistancy. Is his hang time consistant with distance having a wide variation, or is his distance consistant with hang time being variable

You need to double the yardage; not only has the returner began running, but the coverage is given more time to get downfield.

I'm sure the difference is more than pure yardage, though. It also messes up the timing of the blocking on the return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes