PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RE: Cornerback - More confidence in Bodden or Springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Which of these 2 new additions to the CB position do you feel will be a better addition and an asset to the team - Shawn Springs or Leigh Bodden?

I really feel that it is unlikely that both players will both have a great year and I also think that both players won't both have bad years either but it is going to be one that performs well and one that could end up as a dissapointment - Thats my opinion anyway.

Do you have confidence in a 34 year old Cornerback who has been with the same team for nearly a decade and played steady? or Do you feel better about a younger player who came from an 0-16 team but played well for his previous one?

Which of these 2 new additions to the CB position do you feel will be a better addition and an asset to the team - Shawn Springs or Leigh Bodden?

I really feel that it is unlikely that both players will both have a great year and I also think that both players won't both have bad years either but it is going to be one that performs well and one that could end up as a dissapointment - Thats my opinion anyway.

Do you have confidence in a 34 year old Cornerback who has been with the same team for nearly a decade and played steady? or Do you feel better about a younger player who came from an 0-16 team but played well for his previous one?

Why is it unlikely that both will succeed? If you feel both have the ability, why cant they both? BTW springs played for Seattle for a longer time than he did Washington and neither were for a decade.

Why is it unlikely that both will succeed? If you feel both have the ability, why cant they both? BTW springs played for Seattle for a longer time than he did Washington and neither were for a decade.

Simply because I dont think that both will be spectacular but I do think one will prove worthy while the other not so - perhaps its an opinionated prediction.

BB is not exempt from have a few stinker FA signings,especially in the past 4 years - Chad Brown,Monty Beisel,Duane Starks,Doug Gabriel are a few notable flops - While the team hit the jackpot with Moss and Welker and did o.k. with Morris and Thomas,there were some bad additions as well.... Should be interesting competition in camp without a doubt.

Last edited:
I'd say right now I'd probably go with Springs. I like his experience, good coverage abilities, and reputation for playing well. With that said, my confidence in Bodden has increased lately, and I do like his size as well.

I am going to add that I think one of these two players will be backing up Butler who I think will be good enough to get the start right away.

Im going to go with Bodden just because I think springs will help him in the film room and I think he has an athletic edge over springs but I dont think springs will falter. I think both will be solid but Bodden will have the better year.

my only gripe with either is that we ONLY signed bodden to a 1 yr deal....

Would you really sign up a corner from an 0-16 team to a contract longer than 1 year? - I wouldn't

Bodden had a subpar year last season,its not like he was a world beater at stopper at corner on that pathetic team,the only player who showed up in games last season for the Lions seemed to be Calvin Johnson but he didn't have a QB to throw it to him. - Its simply a show me year for Leigh and if he is decent I would'nt worry about the future.

I have more confidence in Bodden.

This is a much better discussion than the ones we have had about Hank Poteat... or some of the guys that have come through here.

Bodden will be more consistently effective/durable, and Springs will be better when healthy. Overall, I have more faith in Bodden to make a consistently strong contribution.

I think that Bill thinks they will both be better than Hobbs.:)

I have confidence in both playing well but at 37 years of age you have to have some doubts regarding Springs durability. I expect he'll get a lot of time off which is good b/c I'm really hoping for good things out of Butler, Wheatley, and Wilhite.

Bodden will probably have the better year statistically, as he has a reputation as a ballhawk.

I still think Springs is the Chad Scott replacement and will be spliting time with Wheatley or Wilhite, given that Springs is 40 years old.

Last edited:
I think I'll go with Springs on this one.

I would agree with this. I am hopeful that Bodden will come back close to his 2007 Cleveland form, and that Bodden and Butler are the likely future starters at CB if we can sign Bodden long term. I think that Springs will add veteran leadership and experience, but I don't he him as a long-term solution. He may possibly be better in the short term if healthy.

I am going to add that I think one of these two players will be backing up Butler who I think will be good enough to get the start right away.

Too much conjucture, too much going by hunch, there is no logic whatever to you are saying. Nothing personal, pal. But this conclusion one has to flop defies logic.

Both have had success in the past and will be surrounded by a strong DL, why is it impossible for both to have a very solid year. :confused:

Last edited:
Would you really sign up a corner from an 0-16 team to a contract longer than 1 year? - I wouldn't

Bodden had a subpar year last season,its not like he was a world beater at stopper at corner on that pathetic team,the only player who showed up in games last season for the Lions seemed to be Calvin Johnson but he didn't have a QB to throw it to him. - Its simply a show me year for Leigh and if he is decent I would'nt worry about the future.

I would if the bonus was the same. You always have the option of cutting him if he's not good at any time. Options can't be worht less than 0.

I would if the bonus was the same. You always have the option of cutting him if he's not good at any time. Options can't be worht less than 0.

exactly, the potential could be really big for Bodden, i c it as though the risk/reward we should have signed him for at least 2 yrs

Simply because I dont think that both will be spectacular but I do think one will prove worthy while the other not so - perhaps its an opinionated prediction.

BB is not exempt from have a few stinker FA signings,especially in the past 4 years - Chad Brown,Monty Beisel,Duane Starks,Doug Gabriel are a few notable flops - While the team hit the jackpot with Moss and Welker and did o.k. with Morris and Thomas,there were some bad additions as well.... Should be interesting competition in camp without a doubt.

Belichick is paying both Bodden and Springs pretty good bucks and much more than Beisel, Brown, Gabriel, or even Starks. Biesel and Brown were brought in to be reserves; and TJ concussions and retirement; and Tedy's stroke overnight promoted them to starters, that was never intended. Gabriel had talent but he could not assimilate the Patriots option receiving. Starks was damaged goods who tried to play in spite of injuries, and couldn't hack it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes